A lil confused

Radiogirl39
on 6/21/11 1:29 am - Canada
Maybe too much of a good thing is turning into a bad thing.  Been reading a lot more posts about people gaining weight back, going on Atkins and WW etc.  It almost sounds like it's just as easy to gain the weight back after WLS as after a diet. Is this the case, cuz that freaks me out. Not gonna go thru a major surgery and the vitamins and the liquid and pureed foods if I will just be where at the end of a Jenny or WW diet.

Julie
(deactivated member)
on 6/21/11 1:50 am, edited 6/21/11 1:55 am - Canada
I'm still pre-op and the thought of regaining weight after MAJOR surgery scares the hell out of me too! 

I dont know what causes regain but it doesnt happen to everyone - there are A LOT of people here who have successfully maintained their weight loss.  Maybe people regaining have slipped and went back to old eating habits??  Maybe the body adjusts and begins to absorb more calories???  I dont know. 

I remember watching the show "X-Weighted" and a woman had RNY and she was eating two 12" pancakes smothered in Nutella and Peanut Butter for breakfast and then had a very large chocolate milk shake topped with whipped cream.  She had regained weight and was on the road to getting back to 400+lbs.   I think if you do that you can guarantee weight regain. 

The only info I was ever given about weight regain from the NUT and Surgeon was that if you're regaining weight, you're not following the rules and you're not eating properly. 
Leanne1
on 6/21/11 2:02 am - Newmarket, Canada
Very well said Simona!

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

ToNewBeginnings
on 6/21/11 2:12 am, edited 6/21/11 2:13 am
My fear is regain as well.

How do you stop yourself from not eating properly? I had this surgery because I felt out of control.

To me reagain is simple, you are eating too much and too much of the wrong things. (calories in vs calories out). ( oh yeah, forgot about some medications)
It's very easy to go back into old eating habits. Why wouldn't we? We've done so before with every diet. That's what I'm afraid of. I couldn't follow the rules and eat properly before surgery... how will I be able to keep following the rules now?

I know this post is not positive but it's what I think deep down inside.
Karen M.
on 6/21/11 2:11 am - Mississauga, Canada
There are many reasons for regain.  According to studies, some regain after a few years (like 10-20 pounds) can be pretty normal as your body readjusts.  Some people go back to old eating habits and eat poorly.  Other health issues can affect weight, such as hypothyroidism, and cause people to gain.  Prescribed medications can cause weight gain.

As someone who is over 5 years out, I had absolutely no regain at all until 3 months ago when I started on a new medication, which is notorious for weight gain.  I haven't changed what I'm eating, I have no increase in appetite, I haven't changed my level of activity.... it just happened, thanks to the medication.  And I am PETRIFIED, to be honest.  Not to mention royally pissed. 

Umm... to be clear, I haven't regained a ton of weight - but 15 pounds is very noticable when you're slim. It causes clothes not to fit and depressive/paranoid head-games to start. lol

I think people need to realize that this is a life-long change - WLS is not a cure-all, you do have to work at it.

My 2 cents.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Jeff Z.
on 6/21/11 2:12 am - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 I have not looked into weight re-gain and what could cause it outside of people resorting to old eating happens.

I'm curious to know how the lady Simona mentioned is able to intake that amount of food after the RNY.  I realize you can stretch the pouch out gradually if you are consuming too much over time, however it almost seems uncanny.

Due diligence and utilizing the 'tool' is what will allow you shed the weight and maintain it.  Staying active on the boards will also help (or so I hear...when I don't go MIA for extended periods of time, heh).

HW: 750  ConsultW: 735  SW: 701  CW: 395  GW: 235 
App: January 2009  re-App: March 2009... OHIP suspends DS, works on proposal with Cleveland Clinic  Surgery: October 8th 2009  (8 month process)
Revision to DS on June 5th, 2012.

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/11 2:17 am - Canada
I wondered that too about that woman on the show - it seemed like an awful lot of food for anyone who had RNY.  It was confirmed on the show by her and Dr. Macklin that she did have RNY.  I actually contacted the show after it aired to make sure I heard correctly. 
Jeff Z.
on 6/21/11 2:34 am - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 I know different parts of the stomach are stretchy, but I cannot recall if the portion at the top (which RNY patients are left with) is part of the stetchy portion or if it is part of the tougher, less stretchy portion.

I had a VSG so have a larger stomach, but even I can't imagine eating that much food.

It actually makes me sick watching how some people in my family eat, and especially when they use my old  eating habits to condone their actions (my dad especially).  Can't tell you how many times he has said "I bet you wish you could eat all this?", referring to a large plate of food.

If I wanted to continue to eat that way I would not have made a drastic life-changing decision.

And don't even get me started on what my dad considers to be means of healthy eating to lose weight, heh.

HW: 750  ConsultW: 735  SW: 701  CW: 395  GW: 235 
App: January 2009  re-App: March 2009... OHIP suspends DS, works on proposal with Cleveland Clinic  Surgery: October 8th 2009  (8 month process)
Revision to DS on June 5th, 2012.

TraceyM45
on 6/21/11 2:12 am
Wls is a tool, used properly it will do the job effectively.  If you go into the surgery with the mindset that this is a permanent change of lifestye and adhere to nutritional and exercise guidelines the success will be yours. 

People who choose to stop following the guidelines will eventually regain the weight just like any other diet/exercise plan, the pouch will stretch if it is overstuffed often enough. 

The surgery success rate is much higher than the regular diet/exercise plans because of the mindset required to get through it and the committment you have to make to be accepted.  People who have this surgery lose more weight and keep it off longer than those who follow other diet plans.  The WW/Jenny's programs will have disclaimers beside the people who lose large amounts of weight as "results not typical"  this is because their plans are not usually successfull for the morbidly or super morbidly obese.  Even shows like biggest loser don't paint a realistic picture as the diet is extremely strict, supervised and exercise is at least 4 hours a day....in reality who can committ to that?

I have spent the better half of my life jumping from one sure fire diet to the next, exercising like a fiend and then losing momentum, regaining and yo yoing for so long I am resistant to traditional methods so surgery is what I feel to be my best option.  You have to set a plan for success, journal your food and emotions, plan to exercise and find healthy ways to deal with stress, boredom, sadness etc that don't involve the old ways of coping. 

Fail to plan....plan to fail. 

Good luck with your journey, read lots, ask questions and lean on the veterans of this board they have a wealth of knowledge and experience to learn from. 

All the best,

Tracey

darrahclarke
on 6/21/11 2:22 am - Scarborough, Canada
Julie your surgery is nothing more than a tool.  One incredibly, fabulous tool but none the less a mere tool.  Using a tool in an improper way is very common.  If you commit to yourself to use your tool correctly and strive to make healthy positive changes in both behavior and food choices you will be making a huge step to using your tool properly.  I cannot personally imagine ever going back to being obese.  That being said, without my vigilance and dedication to myself, it could very well happen.  Make the promise to yourself that you will nourish your body and soul not only with food that will help you but with self love that will keep you on track.  Anyone that ever tells you, "me? oh lord I never imagine wanting a piece of chocolate cake." is a complete and utter liar.  Most of us did not gain weight by being regimented and controlled.  However, your tool will help you get to a place where your behavior and commitment will make possible to be controlled.  How your live your commitment will dictate your success.  You can do it.
Most Active
Recent Topics