Weight loss based on what Dietician wants.

MS Miller
on 6/21/11 10:39 pm - Nepean, Canada
Hi Guys and Gals,

When I had my dietican meeting and they explained the weight loss and the amount i would lose they said 80% of what I need to weigh.

Now I'm 270 at 5'8'' tall bigger frame and when they asked me what I wanted to weigh I said between 160-170 as I found I was very slim at this weight for me, so that would be 110 lbs to lose.

The dietician/nurse said that I might/would not get to that weight so i'd be 200 lbs if I was lucky.

Now I was 235- 250 for the past 7 years, my weight just went up due to meds I was on in the past year.

Can anyone give me some feedback, I know that everyone is different but if anyone is similar to me or has had a similar experience where they said one goal weight and you surpassed it that would be nice to know.

Sue

Surgery Sept 13th 2011 Dr. Hagen 
Karen M.
on 6/21/11 10:44 pm - Mississauga, Canada
I think it's completely reasonable to expect/hope for a 100 pound weight loss - with some considerations.  You mentioned medication, which, from experience, can make weight loss difficult at the best of times. I started at 290 and went to 128 (I'm only 5'4" though).  They give you an "estimate" - with some hard work, I can see you getting under 200 quite frankly.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

highlandbear
on 6/21/11 10:50 pm - Canada
I agree with Karen. Now remember you do have to exercise and work at it. If not than it will not happen
MS Miller
on 6/21/11 11:30 pm - Nepean, Canada
Hi,

Thanks so much for the info. I do excersise now, so thats why I'm a tad worried, but will be able to do more after the surgery for sure, as I was very active before I hurt my back 4 years ago, that's how my weight crept on.

The big reason I am having surgery is for my Diabetes, Dr. Dent who I have been a patient since 1995 told me it would be a good choice for me to eliminate my meds ( which are not many I'm not on insulin) I am also part of his long term weight study as well.

I am even going on Optifast for my breakfast and lunches starting next week, hoping I will lose 20-30 pounds before my surgery, I know this sounds weird but I like Optifast, find it easy to take and great for me who travels 3 weeks a month.

I am actually looking forward to eating less often than I have to do now, to keep my blood sugar stable. My big issue is not what I eat, it's quantity so Dr Dent said I was the percfect WLS candidate, think he was buttering me up a bit LOL.

Sue

Surgery Sept 13th 2011 Dr. Hagen 
mynderella
on 6/22/11 1:37 am - Ottawa, Canada
Hi there,

I'm in Ottawa and I started at 265 AND I'm 5'8.  The dietitian at the WMC also told me that I should shoot for 80% loss of my excess weight which would put me at 180 (which I consider quite high).  I had a "normal" BMI in my head as a goal.  For me "normal" would be about 160.

My family doctor sent me to the dietitian available through her office when I first gained weight and since we have a great relationship I still see her for follow-up.  She says 170 should be completely achievable and I think it is too.

So, after all of this explanation, I'm 5+ months out and I've lost 65 lbs, and I've revised my goal to 170.  It is 30lbs away and with work, I can do it.  I think you can too.

Lil-Stinker
on 6/22/11 2:09 am

I am 5 ft 4 and started at 250 lbs. they told me I should shoot for 190. Ya right... 5 ft 4 and shooting for 190? I think not. I was 130-140lbs all through my 20's.

Referral sent on 26 Feb 2010 - Sleep Study on 28 May 2010 - Info session at WMC on 14 Jan 11- Appt with the APN (nurse) on 27 Jan 11 - Dietician and Behaviorist appts on Feb 24. WLS Class 6th April 2011 - Surgeon appt 3 May 2011 Dr Yelle - Surgery June 6th          
Monica M.
on 6/22/11 2:11 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
The definition of "success" for WLS is for you to lose a certain percentage of your excess weight, so that might be where the dietitian is coming from. (i forget what the percentage is)

When it came time to goal setting, the dietitian asked me what i wanted to weigh, and i told her 160 (i'm 5 7), which puts me in a normal BMI. I think your goal is reasonable, but i'm just starting out, here.

jdance
on 6/22/11 2:54 am - Canada
The dietician once told me that if you have never been slim as an adult then it's unlikely you will lose enough to become (Thin) after WLS. when she asked what my goal was. I said 150 (I'm 5'5"), she said have you ever been 150 as an adult. And I said yes. So she said then i would likely get there. It's a body comfort thing (I don't know all the facts about that though). The surgeon told me that he would like to see me in the high 160's and that's likely where my body would bounce back to if i lost more than that. Well I'm at 166 now and i feel terrific, but i would like to see 160 at least and try to get to my ultimate goal of 150. if I bounce back, then I think i could live with being a size 10/12 the rest of my life, just fine, thank you very much.

So I think they were just giving you a guideline to go by. I think they consider you a success if you lose 60-80% of the excess weight. i can't remember the exact figure. But like most, we all want to get to a normal BMI. For me that's 148lbs. We'll just see.

Good luck and try not to stress over it.

Jacki1965
on 6/22/11 4:20 am - Cambridge, Canada
So here's my story.  I am only 5'3" and I weigh currently 195.  HOWEVER - at 195 I am wearing a size 12 pant (usually) and large tops mostly - I could fit into smaller but I don't like clingy clothes - I think it's an old body image issue.  I would love to see myself at around 170, but I don't know that that is going to happen without going back to severe dieting and total focus - that kind of hangup is what got me weighing 335 in the first place!!  As a young adult, the least I ever weighed was 185 so it seems likely that I would settle around there somewhere - at least that's what my doctor told me.  Body memories??  Who knows - at the end of the day try your best, work your tool, cure any comorbities that you may have (I am no longer a diabetic although I was quite severe two years ago) and be kind to yourself.  Good Luck Sue...stay strong...Jacki
Highest Weight: 335
Weight when this journey began: 306
Presurgery Weight: 280      
Quinns_mommy
on 6/22/11 4:20 am
I am only 5' 2", and a "normal" BMI would put me at 135 - that's the high end of normal... so that's what I'm aiming for... I WILL get there! And so will you!

My angels are sam1am and Joyce J. :)  
Most Active
Recent Topics