Coffee, straws and bubbly stuff!

MS Miller
on 6/23/11 7:15 am - Nepean, Canada

Hey Gang,

Maybe some of the people who have had the surgery can give me some insight on the following.

I was told to reduce or eliminate my coffee ( regular) and switch to decaf, I understand this, now say months after the surgery are you guys drinking reg coffee?

The straw thing is weird, is there that much air getting in our bodies through straws. I tend to use a Camelback water bottle for my drinks anyway the one with the bite nozzle will this be ok?

They told me to give up Pop, which is easy to understand, and no issue for me as I don't drink the stuff anyway, but do any of you drink diet pop after a year or so ok, in case I need to drink in a business situation, plus I do like Peligrino once in awhile.

Thanks Sue

Surgery Sept 13th 2011 Dr. Hagen 
ericaFG
on 6/23/11 7:35 am - Cambridge, Canada
Sue - I only quit regular test coffee for the 6 weeks my surgeon required.  I drink a couple coffees a day - and would be devasted without it!  Some people find it bothers their stomach...not me.

Straws - I found the camelback kind was no problem at all.  No air in that one.  I use regular straws for iced coffee and protein drinks...have since the beginning.  If I try to sip soda from a straw though - look out!!

Pop - I quit that for about 2 years.  I have heard that even diet pop messes with your insulin levels and blood sugar and causes cravings for other sugary foods.  I still rarely have pop - and if I open a can, it takes me 2-3 days to fini****  Too sweet and the bubbles make me burp like crazy.
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

MS Miller
on 6/23/11 9:18 am - Nepean, Canada
Thanks Erica,

I do enjoy my coffee, and I sure hope my tummy does after too. I stay away from pop in general always do sugar free, but I don't have a sweet tooth and I find it all too sweet.

Sue

Surgery Sept 13th 2011 Dr. Hagen 
Rachel O.
on 6/23/11 9:42 am - Hamilton, Canada
RNY on 03/02/12
call me silly but what is a Camelback???
happypants
on 6/23/11 10:06 am - Ottawa, Canada
thanks for asking that cause I didnt know either lol
(deactivated member)
on 6/23/11 11:18 am - Canada
http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Bottles.aspx

I had to look up what a camelbak bottle was! Never heard of it until this thread. You learn something new everyday!!
sueberman
on 6/23/11 10:12 pm
I have a coffee or 2 a day now, but with so much less milk than I used to and I've just started using stevia. I stayed away from straws but I got a small iced cap at Tim's and didn't even think about the straw when I drank it and I didn't notice a problem.  I have had a few sips of pop from other people's, mostly when I've been out and finished my water and still thirstly and it did give me more gas than I expected - BTW - I very seldom burp since surgery.   Pop was a problem for me before surgery so I'm staying away from it.
Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

Karen M.
on 6/23/11 10:15 pm - Mississauga, Canada
They have sugar free Ice Caps at Tim's now?

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

sueberman
on 6/23/11 10:30 pm
NOOO - it was my treat of the week.
Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

Karen M.
on 6/23/11 10:37 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Damn!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/