Anyone regret surgery?

Little_LuLu
on 6/28/11 4:05 am - London, Canada
Hi everyone,   Yesterday, I attended the information session at Humber River Regional Hospital. Previous to attending this session I had already made up my mind that surgery was my last resort. However, after listening to the presentation and hearing all the risks….I’m not so sure anymore.    My BMI is currently 41 and to date my weight has not prevented me from living my life in any way. I am very active and life for the most part is pretty good. I have struggled with weight all my life and am always on some kind of diet. Losing weight isn’t the problem (however it’s getting hard as I’m getting older)….it’s keeping it off. Which is still going to be an everyday struggle after the surgery (according to what I heard yesterday).     My question is does anyone regret having surgery?  If so, why.
Family doctor referral to Registry March 2011, Guelph received referral April 8, 2011, Requested transfer to HRRH June 10, 2011, Transfer approved June 20, 2011, Information Session June 27, 2011, Surgeon Meeting July 12, 2011, Gastric By-pass class August 5, 2011, Dietician, Social Worker August 8, 2011, 2nd Surgeon Appt and PATTS September 12, 2011, SURGERY September 27, 2011        
Karen M.
on 6/28/11 4:11 am - Mississauga, Canada
Nope, not even for a second.  5+ years and still plugging along :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Bonnie ABC
on 6/28/11 4:16 am - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
I regret I got to such a state that the only thing to save my life was a slice and dice routine.  I am so glad I did it.  So glad I have a life now, and a reason to live.   It's a good choice, if you know you're at the end of your rope.  This choice is serious, but can save a life.

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
samtq
on 6/28/11 4:25 am - Ottawa, Canada
 Not for a cotton-picking second!  I was like you and thought I lived a full, active life but it has gotten so much better - far more than I could have ever hoped.

What makes this surgery different than a diet?  Yes, you have a powerful tool to help you lose the weight but you also always have a tool to use to help keep it off!
“The miracle isn’t that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.? --John “the Penguin? Bingham 
There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living. ~ Nelson Mandela

HW: 247.5/SW: 228.5/CW:135/ My GW: 140/SGW: 151
sam1am
on 6/28/11 4:30 am
No regrets!

Although we have to always be conscientious, its not near the struggle it use to be.  We have much smaller stomachs or pouches and just can eat as much (and get fuller faster and satiated).   Unless we graze all the time or work hard to stretch our stomachs we should always have the tool to make things much easier for us.  Just my $.02.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Joyce J.
on 6/28/11 5:22 am - Scarborough, Canada
My only regret was not doing it 20 years before.

Life is so much better now

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

JJ_
on 6/28/11 5:43 am
Why were you referred?

I have not yet had surgery, however, I am convinced that this is the way forward for myself.  I had my first diet in 1974 (Weigh****chers) to lose 10-15 lbs.  Needless to say, I have added to that excess weight at varying points in my life as I tried each diet, and then abandoned it at some point.

I was originally referred to the WMC in 2006 and Dr. Dent thought I would be a good candidate for either his Optifast program or surgery.  I decided at the time, that neither was for me.  In January 2010 my endocrinologist asked me to consider WLS as she has had several patients referred and excellent results including no longer needing medication.  When I met with her in September 2010, I told her that I was ready to be referred. 

I am now ready.  Perhaps you are not ready to have your innards rearranged.  This is a major committment.  You have to be ready.  Take your time.  Good luck in your decision making.

Judy
Cathy_D
on 6/28/11 5:45 am - Canada

Not for a minute....so happy and life is better.  My regret was waiting until my life was being lived differently...and my aches and pains were catching up and my inability to lose weight easily was gone. 

It is your decision, however, and you need to be 100% sure before you continue.  Do not do it if you are not ready and committed to the process.  Good luck.

Ruthy
on 6/28/11 8:36 am
Not at all , i would do it again in a heart beat !!
Ruthy    
Monica M.
on 6/28/11 8:41 am, edited 6/27/11 8:42 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
i dont regret it for one second. only that i didnt do it 15 years ago.

Most Active
Recent Topics