Anyone regret surgery?

Ruthy
on 6/28/11 8:44 am
DITTO !!
Ruthy    
JennR
on 6/28/11 8:43 am
I have not yet had surgery but am well into the process. I think it is great that you are living a full life unhampered by your weight but what about 10 or 20 years from now if you are not able to lose weight by other methods? I've noticed that as the years have passed that my health just keeps getting worse and worse. 10 years ago I would have said the same as you, despite my weight I had a good life, no problems but now I feel like a mess. I can picture what I am going to be like in 10 years if I don't so something now. It's another consideration but it's good that you are really thinking this through. Weight loss surgery is not for everyone, there are a lot of consequences.

Mariann M.
on 6/28/11 10:26 am - Washago , Canada
I have to say the only thing I would do differently, is making sure I didn't have an autoimmune illness. I was told that the reason I was feeling so aweful was due to my weight. But a month after surgery I was informed that I do suffer from Fibromyalgia and Lupus and the main way to treat the joint swelling is to use NSAID's!! And as I am sure you are awear are a NEVER AGAIN after surgery.  
But other than that I would do this surgery again in a heart beat !!!! It has allowed me to become a better mom and wife. I also was able to get pregnant with my second child after 5 years of trying and being told I could never have another child. I can only speak for myself but I KNOW this was the right choice and I hope that you figure out what is best for you !!!!      

Chris D.
on 6/28/11 1:24 pm - Ottawa, Canada
You can take NSAID's after RNY as long as you also take an acid reducer to protect the pouch.  Check with your doctor. 
SURGEONS GOAL - 163 - SURPASSED!

MY GOAL

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
Manda M.
on 6/28/11 10:29 am
you are probably just scared.. I haven't had mine yet I am just waiting for my surgery orientation and i am terrified but that only because I have never had surgery before.. but would i turn around now and walk away.. never :)
http://pouchgirlrny.blogspot.com  -- My thoughts and experience so far post RNY!!

Radiogirl39
on 6/28/11 10:55 am - Canada
I haven't had my surgery yet either, but it's taken me about 3 weeks of asking questions and reading other people's posts to realize IT'S TIME!  I always thought that people had to be 400 lbs or more for this surgery. What I am learning is that the doctors that are doing this surgery are trying to get us before we get to that point. Before the diabetes. Before the heart condition.  Before the knees give out. 

I really considered giving dieting and exercise alone one more shot.  And I realized I would probably lose some weight, maybe even 50 lbs over the next 6-12 months.  And then 2 years from now I would very likely be 2 yrs older and 30 lbs heavier than I am now.  I know I need the help to control this and this is my best shot. 

Check out the websites, read ppl's posts on this forum, go to your appointments and ask questions.  You are not obligated to go through with it at any point until the anesthesia, lol.  I ordered a few books like 'Weight Loss for Dummies', 'Before and After' and 'Gastric Bypass Surgery: The psychological journey'.  I plan to be very educated and prepared.

Good luck! Julie
twins4meplus1
on 6/28/11 11:06 am - St Thomas, Canada
Not for a second do I regret my decision to make my life and health so much better then it was before. I also thought my life before surgery was pretty good but it is even better now. I didn't realize how much I was holding back before because of my weight.

Linda

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

Sheila S.
on 6/28/11 11:09 am - Canada
Definitely no regrets.  I will one year out on July 7 and this was the best choice I ever made.  I had diabetes which was becoming uncontrollable and high blood pressure pre surgery and now I am no longer a diabetic and blood pressure is normal.  About 3 weeks ago I had my gallbladder out and several adhesions repaired and then was hospitalized for 2 weeks with pain and nausea and unable to tolerate food and drink.  Had a rough go these past 3 weeks.  Just found out I had an ulcer which nearly perforated.  All this and no regrets here.  I would do it again.  I would recommend wls to anyone who is struggling with weight and co morbidities.  Best thing I ever did.  I have so much more energy and I've turned several heads.  Food is not a major factor in my life anymore, but living an extra few more years and damn being to shop in a regular store for clothes makes a world of difference.  Only you know if it is time for you to make this change for your life.  Hope you make the right decision.

Diminishing Dawn
on 6/28/11 11:18 am - Windsor, Canada
It is good that you are thinking seriously. It has to be that the goods of surgery outweigh the bad and when you have exhausted other means. While I am glad that I had it. Surgery is not for everyone. It is by nommeans an end to the diet rollercoaster. At five years out it is a battle every day with my eating addiction. It is a good tool and a way to get a lot of weight off rather quickly but not an end to the weight loss struggle. It all depends on your health issues etc as to whether surgery is for you. Good luck

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

imagenthat
on 6/28/11 11:37 am - Bolton, Canada
I would do it again in a heartbeat.  I only wish I had done so 15 - 20 years ago.  Food was my best friend.  I love that my life no longer revolves around it.  I had my surgery in February of this year.  I no longer have high blood pressure or high cholesterol.  I felt like I got hit by a mac truck I was in so much pain.  But I would do it all over again.

It is a decision that you have to make. 

Traci

Most Active
Recent Topics