Weight loss explanation to those who did not know you had WLS.

MS Miller
on 7/31/11 12:33 am - Nepean, Canada
Hi,

I just got off the phone with my mom, who tore a strip off me for being fat, she told me if I only ate small portions and excersised everyday I would lose weight. Now keep in mind I have only been real heavy the past 10 yrs, but never said I looked good when I was thinner, you guessed that I have not told her of my surgery, because she would say I'm taking the easy way out, she thinks fat people are lazy, I even wonder at times that she is my mother, no caring bone in her body.

So my question is how do you explain your weight loss to your co-workers and familly without telling them you had WLS. I have a great support group, my boyfriend is an angel so supportive, my best friend is great too and two others I have told too, so I have a great support network.

Thanks Sue

Surgery Sept 13th 2011 Dr. Hagen 
Monica M.
on 7/31/11 12:41 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
Just tell people that you're on a diet regimen that includes high protein, low carbs, and exercise.

tell your mom... never mind, my mom always told me that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything  at all...

Betty Jo L.
on 7/31/11 12:51 am, edited 7/31/11 12:58 am
 I am sorry to hear that your mom is this way towards you. My mother at first was not supportive only cause she was scared. My father is going to be dieting with me so I have that extra support. But they are both now on the bus with me. I just straight out told my  co-workers and friends but I didn't care what they thought cause this is for me. My chance for a healty life and the same for you. Yes, it is great to have a supportive group but if they are going to judge your decisions and think you are taking the easy way out then they are not there to support you nor are they worth your time. Some people don't understand that some people need that boost to lose weight. Alot don't understand and think this surgery is a solution, it is not. It is a tool that we are given to help us along the way to lose weight and eat healty. I hope you don't get discouraged from the negative people and do this for YOU. There are alot of wonderful people here on the OH site that are very suportive and there are support groups as well. Good luck with your journey.
 Be Happy and live your life to the fullest          
Gabygee
on 7/31/11 1:22 am - Canada
My  best friend TOLD me she'd be supportive and then wasn't.
No visits in the hospital, no visit to my home after the surgery.

But told me she was supportive.
She disapproved of the surgery, because she was afraid for me. Even now, 62 pounds down, she's only barely accepting it.
Now she's also lost that amount of weight - through Jenny Craig. It's taken her 2 years.
And we all know it's going to come right back as soon as she quits giving Jenny Craig her money.
So it's not jealousy. It's something else.

There were three people close to me who disapproved and two tried to talk me out of it.

In each case, I was very patient and kept explaining that it wasn't about the weight loss it was about (1) getting healthy, and (2) STAYING healthy.
It was about KEEPING IT OFF for years to come.
They kept reiterating that if I just ate less, I could lose the weight.
THey couldn't hear what I was saying.
THye kept harping on the equation, less in = weight lost.

So I decided I'd let my new body do the talking.
Every chance I get, I tell them how much I've lost and how I'm feeling.
I'm still nice about it, but I'm rubbing their noses in it.

That's my (very mature) approach to the doubters.

sam1am
on 7/31/11 1:19 am
 I'm with Monica, tell them you are low carbing, tracking your intake and exercising more as that is the truth.  I'm almost 2 years out and no one in my family knows either.  I just didn't want to have to deal with their thoughts on wls and don't regret not telling them or anyone else at all.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

AllieInOntario
on 7/31/11 1:26 am
It's really nobody's business. 

Make a joke out of it: Tell them you have a tape worm :)
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

DebbieML
on 7/31/11 2:01 am - Gloucester, Canada
I love that one ... hillarious!
Debbie
Referal: June 23, 2011;  Info: August 26, 2011;  Dr.: July3, 2012; U/S: July 13, 2012;  Beh/Nut: Aug 13, 2012;  Ed class: Aug 22, 2012;  Scope: Sept 7, 2012;  Met with surgeons fellow: Sept 17, 2012; SURGERY: Nov 16, 2012 with Dr. Mamazza.  

Mary A.
on 8/2/11 12:35 am
On July 31, 2011 at 8:26 AM Pacific Time, AllieInOntario wrote:
It's really nobody's business. 

Make a joke out of it: Tell them you have a tape worm :)
og my gosh...in the 4 years I have been involved in this process I have never heard that and it is absolutly HILARIOUS~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the chuckle!!!

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Cheryl D.
on 7/31/11 2:09 am - Toronto, Canada
You could tell the truth:  You're taking better care of your health under medical supervision and you're doing much better, thanks for noticing.  The end.

Personally I told everyone in my life I was having surgery and got a lot of support from my family.  My husband was and still is awesome in his support.  So is my daughter.  I am grateful for their support but would have done it anyway, it was for my health. 

I always get a chuckle out of people saying it's the "easy way out".  Obviously people who say that have not had bariatric surgery.

All the best to you,
Cheryl

No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.

mazouzia
on 7/31/11 2:33 am - kapuskasing, Canada
Good day Sue, I have to agree with all of your responses. You did it for YOU not for Tom Dick and Harry but for yourself . You don't need no explanation to no one else........You decided to be healthier and you're doing a great job at it! keep up the good work! im proud of you,im proud of the choice you made! Be proud of yourself! this was a big decision!!!  

jeanete

Most Active
Recent Topics