Optifast........I can't stand it!!

99mickey
on 8/6/11 9:10 am - ajax, Canada
I am just finishing day 3 of opifast and can not stand the smell or the taste of it.  I am suppose to drink 4 a day but I am lucky if I am drinking 2.  I have tried mixing in flavours, ice chips and even blending it.  I am drink lots of water, and having broth once a day, jello and a popscile.  I have to do this for 38 more days and not sure how I am going to do this.

Any suggestions on how to make this stuff something I can drink without gaging?

Thanks so much
     My  is stewartjackie

Sirene
on 8/6/11 9:25 am - Ottawa, Canada
hold your nose  ;)

....or go with the Nike slogan.....Just Do It!

Jennifer  

debralight
on 8/6/11 9:31 am - Canada
Really cold and chug it. If you drink coffee (and are allowed) add strong coffee to it to mask the taste. Flavourings and ice are your friends Coffee i found was the best one as it wasn't sweet and has a strong flavour.

I found it got easier as i went long.

Keep your eye on the prize and just do it. Sorry there is nothing else to really say... 

It will be worth it in the end. what kept me going was the thought "i'm not going to the the one who got this far then got turned away at the OR door cause I couldn't/wouldn't do optifast". It was my mantra and I got through the last two weeks of December keeping my focus on that.

You can do it.
Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Susanne S.
on 8/6/11 9:35 am - London, Canada
Coffee and blended ice are my fav and it's not bad...kinda like it (never thought I'd say that). If it's the smell, put it in a container with a lid and use a straw....may help.

laura S.
on 8/6/11 10:03 am - London, Canada
I use really strong decaf coffee - 1.5 cups of it at least.  6 or 7 ice cubes, the optifast and blend the hell out of it!!!  Makes like an ice cap and the coffee takes away the aftertaste and the grossness when you breathe in the smell!   I also put it into a cup that has a straw buillt into it that is REALLY big so that I can shake it up without having to open it.  I should add that I did not like ice caps before optifast.  Probably won't like them afterwards, but this has been a life saver for me since I threw up the first optifast ten days ago!!!  I haven't even bothered  with the other flavourings since the first day.  Coffee is the strongest and masks the taste and makes it almost pleasant!!!!

Best of luck....

Laura

Muddie
on 8/6/11 10:45 am - Brampton, Canada
You can mix in the sugar free syrups.  I was able to get caramel and it made the vanilla much better, and i also used really cold water and more water then what the package tells you.  when it is not so thick it goes down easier.
Hope this helps.  and good luck to you.

teacherof4
on 8/6/11 10:44 am
I use to mix 1/2 vanilla 1/2 chocolate and blend with ice in the Magic Bullet. I could not drink just vanilla or just chocolate but mixing was rather tasty! Good luck! Sherri
June 14, 2011 - Surgery date                
happypants
on 8/6/11 10:49 am - Ottawa, Canada
Oh Mickey I feel your pain. I did three weeks of Optifast. Both chocolate and vanilla. Believe me when I tell you it does get better, you'll see. One morning soon you'll wake up and have a shake and not even notice the taste, its mind over matter...YOU CAN DO THIS HARD THING!!

I had a hard time getting the four shakes in and called the centre here in Ottawa and the dietitian said I could combine the fourth shake into the other three so I added a quarter to each of the three shakes so I only had to drink three. It wasn't because of the taste though it was because I wasn't hungry for the fourth one. I would contact your centre and see it this is an option for you.

Please do not give up, keep your eyes on the prize because you are almost there!!!

Best wishes
Ann

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

TBIYTC
on 8/6/11 1:58 pm - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 02/29/12
Mickey - you have lots of good suggestions now.  I haven't tried optifast, so I may be just like you when it comes time.  But may I offer you an additional idea - and I say this kindly - change your thinking!
Remember the saying (by Henry Ford I think), "if you think you can, you can, and if you think you can't, you can't".  Well, saying and thinking over and over how much you can't stand Optifast, ensures that you can't stand Optifast. It's inevitable.  There is tons of research proving the mind body connection.
Try to brainwash yourself into thinking Optifast is OK.  Repeat something like "Optifast is my friend, and it's getting me where I want to be".  You may need to say this over and over, and try it with a smile.  It will not be easy. You probably will never love the stuff - but maybe you will be OK to use it as the tool it is.
Oh, what's that other old saying? "Nothing really worth while was ever easy".
Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TBIYTC-The Best Is Yet To Come Referral-Mar 2011   Surgery Feb 29th, 2012

happypants
on 8/6/11 9:12 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Fantastic Advice

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

Most Active
Recent Topics