Age and weight loss

MS Miller
on 8/14/11 9:48 pm - Nepean, Canada
Hi gang,

Just a question about rate of weight loss, I know we all lose at different rates. My question is for those over 40yrs how has your weight loss been? and did you lose what you wanted to lose, and how long did it take you.

Thanks Sue

Surgery Sept 13th 2011 Dr. Hagen 
ToNewBeginnings
on 8/14/11 10:03 pm, edited 8/15/11 12:22 am
I had surgery at 42.5 years of age.
Besides age you have to consider genetics and exercise and what you eat. I didn't exercise at all for the first 3 months after surgery. The amount of weight loss scared me a little when I thought about my intake and how much I was losing... in the back of my mind I thought if I exercised I might pass out or something.
So I'm now almost 11 months out and I have lost 110 pounds. I did not have any stalls and I kept losing at a good pace until about a month ago. My weight has started to fluctuate up and down every week. I have been told by a couple of members on here that this is normal. At his time I would like to lose another 24 lbs.
good luck!
sueberman
on 8/14/11 10:18 pm
I'm 56 and you can see how I've done.  I think it's more like the more you have to loose the faster it comes down until you get to a point where it slows down, like you said.  I'm pretty sure I'm at that point.
Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

suzyq0052
on 8/14/11 11:06 pm
I had my surgery March 2, 2011 and am gonna be 59 in a couple of months. I have had several stalls during my 5 months postop and have lost only 62 pounds since I started Optifast Feb 15.. lost 14 of those 62 pounds during optifast regime. I have followed the dietary regime faithfully,
have exercised regularly, averaging 3.5 to 4.5 miles walk 6 days a week, sometimes 7 days a week.. before breakfast usually, and keep fairly busy throughout the day. I get bummed out about only losing 62 pounds so far.. and really bummed knowing that since June 28th, I am only down 9 pounds, but.. I have gone from a size 22-24 stretchy knit pullon pants to a size 16 cotton twill pants, and have gone from a size 4x top to a size XL top.. so I am sure I am gaining muscle and am definitely losing inches and fat. Friends have said, "You don't have a lot of loose saggy skin", and I am thankful that the slow loss seems to help keep the loose saggy skin at bay! I DO BELIEVE that as you get older, the weight loss is slower, and I DO BELIEVE that if you have a LOT of weight to lose, it comes off faster. I weighed 276 the day I started optifast, and I weigh 214 now. I keep thinking I should have lost more by now, as some folks who had surgery around the same time I did have lost lots more weight than me.. but I am sure my age, and my genetic makeup, affect my rate of weight loss. I am happy with my weight loss so far and just have to keep telling myself to be patient.. it will come off slow but sure.

birdiegirl
on 8/15/11 12:19 am

Hi Sue

I had RNY when I was 53 - lost 75 pounds my first 4 months and 160 over 16 months

I did not eat bread/crackers/rise/potatoes the first 6 months to optimize weight loss

I ate protein- veg - fruit and a little yogurt and skim milk period....worked for me

good luck with your surgery in September

Karen W.
on 8/15/11 12:30 am - Canada
Hi.  I'm 45 and had my RNY 4 months ago.  I'm down 60 lbs, including the 15 I lost on optifast before surgery.  Compared to many people on the forum, my weight loss has been a bit slow, running mostly at 1-3 lbs/week since I was 3 weeks out (and I had nearly 2 weeks of no loss in weeks 3 and 4).

I wasn't able to exercise at first due to multiple chronic pain conditions, but recently started working out and am increasing my workouts regularly, with little to no pain. The weight I've lost so far has taken enough pressure off my joints and feet that I can now use the elliptical trainer and weights. This week I lost 4 1/2 lbs, which I am totally thrilled with.

Yes, it seems that the more you have to lose, the faster you lose, especially for the first year.  And I expect that my slow loss has had a lot to do with genetics.  When I was on WW and all sorts of other programs, I always seemed to lose more slowly than others.  And I'm not having loose skin issues yet either, which I expect is one blessing of slower loss. Regardless of how slowly or quickly you lose, you will lose regardless of your age because it is physically impossible not to (unless you live on junk food).

RNY April 11, 2011       

CanDoItFour
on 8/15/11 12:35 am - Canada
Hi Sue

I had my surgery at 59 (just turned 60) and had a pre-surgical weight of 348.  I'm 6 months out now and have lost 130lbs and am now 218.  For me, weight loss really sped up once I started tracking my food on Fitday and made sure:
- I kept my % of carbohydrates per day as close to 33% as possible
- I got in at least 70 grams of protein per day
- I kept my fats to a minimum.
No significant stalls yet (slow weeks, yes), but the pace of weight loss is definitely slowing down, so exercise is now on the horizon.

I have done no exercise to speak of yet because of severe arthritis in a knee, but plan to start soon.  The weight loss has helped a lot, I've now had "gel" injections to cushion the joint, and am doing physio to strengthen the muscles around the knee.  70 lbs to go.

Claire - who feels much better about how she looks, but really loves feeling more healthy and energetic

Monica M.
on 8/15/11 1:31 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
I just turned 47 years old, two weeks ago. I had surgery March 2nd, and have lost just over 90lbs (in about 5 months). Still have almost 60 lbs to go to get to goal.

Lisa_Toronto
on 8/15/11 3:12 am - Toronto, Canada
 I'm 47 also (I think we are kindred spirits Monica!) and have lost 130 lbs, 25 before opti and then 105 since.  And to be perfectly honest, I barely exercised the first 6 months.

Eight months out, I've already hit my surgeon's goal and am pretty close to my own.  It's all good. don't worry about your age - it will happen.

weight loss includes 25 lbs before optifast         
O-Shae
on 8/15/11 8:56 am
I am 62, birthday March 31, had my surgery on April 1, 2011. weight on surgery day was 273 lbs, now I weight 184.4 pounds. I have lost a grand total of  had a few stalls but nothing that lasted too long. I have lost to date 89 pounds and still loosing. My goal weight is 160 lbs and I am sure that I will reach my goal weight before Xmas.
O'Shae    
Most Active
Recent Topics