Thoughts wanted please

Robin H.
on 8/15/11 10:33 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada
I would love to hear from anyone with heart issues and has had RNY.... my mom is waiting to go for surgery, she has COPD and has suffered a couple of mild heart attacks.  She has been waiting over a year for the surgery and in that time has gained another 40 lbs (cannot exercise and has limited mobility duse to heart and lungs)  She is now 360lbs and they are thinking she may have further blockages in her heart, the reason the blockages were never stinted or whatever they do is because they are on the back side of the heart and very risky.  I am fearful that between the heart, copd and the excess weight she will likely die befor year end if nothing is done.  I am just wondering if others have had the surgery with heart conditions, she also gets angina and arial fib.  has been paddled quite a few times to get heart back into regular rythm.  Just wondering other's experiences and what risk factors will likely deny her the surgery.

Bonnie ABC
on 8/15/11 11:50 pm - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
Oh my, I have heart issues, but different than your mom.  If time is a factor, has she thought about self pay and going out of country.  I'm only suggesting as their are a lot of very good and very experienced rny surgeons just over the border, I know, as I went to one of them.  If those surgeons in Canada feel it's too much of a risk, experience wise, and time wise she needs it NOW,  would an american surgeon feel the same?  Not sure, but if your mom can afford to self pay, it could be an option.
Of course rather than just getting anyone stateside, I would be asking several questions on the boards about the surgeons.
Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
sueberman
on 8/16/11 12:30 am
I too have heart issues although no blockages, I do have mild cardiomyopathy, chronic LBBB and had hypertension.  I also had/have a couple of aneurysm, two in my head and 2 in my chest.  I have heard medical professionals refer to them as mild strokes, but I don't/won't.  I was so afraid that they wouldn't allow me to have the surgery, but my cardio was the one *****ferred me.  I think it best if she talk to her cardio about the surgery, if it will be safe for her.

Good Luck
Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

Robin H.
on 8/16/11 12:51 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
it was her cardioligyst *****ffered her as well they all say the weight needs to come off to stop the artrial fib. but she is getting a defeatist attitude and seems to be giving up, due to the long wait times i believe, her breathing is getting worse and she sees her cardioligist this friday again for further tests as they fear the blockages are getting worse.  I just know that if they don't risk the surgery she will likely die at least with risking the operation she has a chance. 

sueberman
on 8/16/11 1:00 am
Almost the same reasons I needed the surgery.  I hope she gets it soon, but it doesn't appear that people who are at a much higher risk are given priority and I truly believe they should be.  I also believe that it may depend on which doctor she gets, which is why I was so glad I was changed to Dr Klein. 

Good Luck
Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

Robin H.
on 8/16/11 1:25 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
Her refferal will be going to St Joes Hamilton as she is in Thunder Bay so lets hope that they will take on a high risk case

StevesGal
on 8/16/11 2:53 am - Hamilton, Canada

I can't offer any related advice, but I can offer .

Perhaps you can call St. Joe's on her behalf and speak with Krista.  Let her know your mom's medical situation and ask if there's anything that can be done to push her forward.  St. Joe's has 3 surgeons now, with Drs. Anvari and Hong being two of the best around.  It was Dr. Anvari who got the registry going (I believe).  It doesn't hurt to inquire.

Keep us posted.

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

Most Active
Recent Topics