Veterans please share

Mary A.
on 8/18/11 5:03 am
what is the single worse thing you think has happened to your life (in any aspect) as a rsult of bariatric surgery...PLEASE SHARE

for me it would be the expulsion of gas...plain and simple....and that comes mostly from beef or pork products...chicken & fish doesn't seem to have the same outcome.

I have since eliminated any ingesiton of any type of barbecue sauce or spiced meats such as Italian sausage etc.

see at over 2 years post-op..I am still ironing out some thing!!!      just stand back!!!!

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Karen M.
on 8/18/11 5:06 am - Mississauga, Canada
Vitamin definciencies - lesson to be learned:  deficiencies are MUCH easier to prevent than to fix after you have a problem.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

mnopmommy
on 8/18/11 5:12 am - Fond du Lac, WI
My biggest problem is not being able to eat things like chicken, no matter how juicy and how small of bites I take, it gets stuck and I end up getting sick and vomiting.  Have same problem with salmon and tuna.  Any suggestions!  I am worried that I am not getting enough protein in my body and can only handle so much of the protein powders.
Jennifer D.
on 8/18/11 5:37 am
You may want to speak with your surgeon about that. I developed soft food syndrome - unable to eat dense solids which waspart of the reason I regained the weight.
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
mnopmommy
on 8/18/11 11:58 am - Fond du Lac, WI
Thanks for the info! I may do that....
ericaFG
on 8/18/11 5:40 am - Cambridge, Canada
Eat less.  I can eat a lot more rare beef or ground meat than I can chicken or salmon.  They can be a bit dry. 

I imagine it like that piece moving super slowly through my sleeve.  It kind of acts like a bit of a plug.  If I try to add more on top, it comes back up.

Start with measuring only 1oz of chicken - and just eat that.  Nothing else.  If it stays down - you'll know my theory is correct!

When I eat chicken breast or salmon - I usually do the opposite of my usual meal "plan".  I eat the veggies FIRST, and then plop that little bit of meat on top.
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

debralight
on 8/18/11 10:25 am - Canada
At a few months out this is likely transitory - and not  long term issue. Chicken gave me way more issue than ground beef until i was about 9 months to a year out - and dry chicken is still not a food i choose to eat as I still have issues with it. Moist, not over cooked chicken, cut small and eaten slowly is fine 95% of  the time. i still find beef easier to eat than chicken (my pouch never got the memo that it was supposed to be the other way around)
Greek yogurt and protien shakes are my recommendation as easily digestible protein. So is a bowl of chili.  You are eating to live not living to eat - i still go back to a boring vanilla protien shake when my tum isn't happy - i'm not thrilled with it but it does the trick and i get the protein i need.  And my system is always fine with it.
Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

mnopmommy
on 8/18/11 12:02 pm - Fond du Lac, WI
Thanks for the advice! That has to be the most frustrating thing right now. I am afraid to eat anything for fear of getting sick, especially at work.  I just went back to work last week and have been taking things like oatmeal, yougart and very soft food because I am afraid of getting sick.
twins4meplus1
on 8/18/11 5:32 am - St Thomas, Canada
I would agree with Karen, my main problem is Anemia and Vitamin D deficiencies.

Linda

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

Jennifer D.
on 8/18/11 5:34 am
When I had my RNY in 2002 I had severe dumping for years which led to Nesdioblastosis.
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
Most Active
Recent Topics