Surgery cancelled

MagentaJoe
on 8/28/11 10:34 pm
I just got a call from day surgery. They said due to an emergency in the O.R. the surgery I was scheduled for today has been cancelled and that they would call me to rebook. I wonder what the emergency was.

She wasn't very helpful. I'm done my optifast and am starving. Should I eat? Should I drink? Should I assume that it will be booked for tomorrow or two weeks or two months from now?

If I have to take Optifast again, who's going to pay for it? I guess I will have to again, and the vitamin K and the time off work. This is terrible.

But more importantly, what was the emergency in the O.R.? Bogie was having surgery today, same hospital. I hope she's ok.
charm64
on 8/28/11 10:38 pm - Cambridge, Canada
That is so disappointing!!  So sorry to hear that.  Hopefully you get a date very soon.\

Char

Char
Dr. Reed
VSG May 24/2011

flyingwoman
on 8/28/11 10:49 pm
I'd call the surgeon's office today to get direction about what to do about Optifast. I personally wouldn't eat until I knew for sure that it was pushed right out. If you have no Opti left, then get no sugar BOOST or NSA Carnation's Instant breakfast from a drug store to tie you over until you can get an official direction. You don't want to eat and then find out they can fit you in an OR time tomorrow.

I'm sorry this happens to you. It sucks bigtime.
brendak1
on 8/28/11 10:58 pm - Canada
Sorry to hear you surgery was postponed, the same thing happened to me, I was on my last pack of opti, they called me and already had me rescheduled for a week and a half later. The nurse told me to eat low fat low carb. high protein for the remained of my time. She should have given you instruction when she called you. Call the Bariatric clinic at St. Joes and ask her what you are suppose to do, also ask when you are re-scheduled for.
(deactivated member)
on 8/28/11 11:09 pm
Sorry to hear your surgery was cancelled. Hopefully if you call today they can give you some info. about how long your wait will be. I think diabetic Boost would be your best option.
Cindy
magpie4495
on 8/28/11 11:43 pm - Canada
Hopefully they will be in touch soon.  Something similar happended to someone I know.  They paid for more Opti.
HW: 260lbs  Pre-Optifast: 257lbs  SW: 242lbs  Happy: 150lbs SG: tbd 

Referral: January 2011, Orientation: July 8/11, Nut/Behav: Aug 22/11 Education Class: Nov 2/11 
Surgeon Appt: Nov 1/11, Surgery: Dec 5     

MagentaJoe
on 8/28/11 11:54 pm
Thanks for the support. I am still waiting for a call back. On a good note I am down 16 pounds from the fasting.

Nathalie_Can
on 8/28/11 11:54 pm
oh no, that really sucks!
and will be waiting for news on Bogie, let's hope she's ok...

I would call your surgeons office right away and ask what to do!

Hang in there!
Let us know what they said!

Nathalie

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

PatXYZ
on 8/29/11 12:04 am
We were told at TWH that because bariatric surgeries are elective (like a knee replacement or a cardiac stent), if anything critical or emergency that needs to be dealt with immediately (think ruptured appendix) came up suddenly then our surgeries would get bumped and rescheduled. So it wasn't neccesarily another bariatric patient that had an emergency.
Hopefully they'll get you in very quickly!
Connie W.
on 8/29/11 1:59 am - Canada
So sorry to hear about the cancellation.  Maybe call Krista to see what will happen.  Just to let you know, the emergency was not Bogie, she was on a gurney waiting the last I heard.
Surgery on September 6th, 2011 Dr Hong,  St Joe's Hamilton My angel  is "Bogie"

Most Active
Recent Topics