Travel post surgery

Robin H.
on 11/20/11 9:53 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada
Ok i need some insight here.  The person who had committed with me to be my travel companion has just started a new job and is now unavailable to travel with me for my surgery.  So thinking I may go this alone.  Hubby needs to be home with kids and well I am at a loss for someone else to travel with even called my outlaws in manitoba hoping one of them would agree but no luck ..... I guess being so close to christmas doesn't help matters.  I am thinking I will be going this alone.  I know it is not recomended but is it doable?  I have had 2 c-sections in the past and am pretty familiar with my body's limitations.  I am not foolish and would stay close to hospital should anything arise.  Ideas or sugestions would be appreciated. Does Hamilton require someone there to meet you for discharge?

Robin

sam1am
on 11/20/11 10:10 pm
Hi Robin,

How far are you from the hospital?  Can you take a train or something rather than drive?  How long do you intend to wait before you go home (including probable 2 day hospital stay).  Having had two c-sections myself, I was well prepared and found it much easier than I expected.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Robin H.
on 11/20/11 10:45 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada
NO I am in Thunder Bay I must Fly I am not driving I will be taking a shuttle likely to pearson and flying home

Tanya T.
on 11/20/11 10:15 pm, edited 11/20/11 10:16 pm
Robin, I had my cousin go with me the day of surgery my husband couldn't get the time off work. I did the 2 days in the hospital by myself I live an hour away from Hamilton.
Yes, you do have to have someone to meet you for discharge my husband picked me up discharge day. In all honesty I had 2 c-sections too and know my limitations but could have never drove home myself.
I hope you are able to find someone to go along with you.

Tanya

Robin H.
on 11/20/11 10:48 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada
I would not be driving I would be taking a taxi to a designated hotel room! then after a couple of days taking the shuttle from Hamilton to pearson airport then flying home and someone will meet me at the Thunder Bay airport.  Just wondering if Hamilton required someone to discharge to and if not would the few days in hotel be doable

PatXYZ
on 11/21/11 12:28 am
They can only recommend that there be someone there, they can't refuse to release or discharge you.
Robin H.
on 11/21/11 12:55 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
that was the info I was asking I will be taking a taxi anyway so no worries about the driving

Leslie W.
on 11/21/11 4:59 am - Cobourg, Canada
Why not give them a call? I had surgery at TWH and live just over an hour. They were going to keep me an extra day d/t travel but finally got out early. It is carrying your luggage too.
While I felt pretty good it is the travel part.
I was able to get my own drinks etc.. post op no problems. It is just the travel.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
sam1am
on 11/20/11 11:59 pm
I would think you should be fine!  Just ask if a taxi coming to get you would work for them.  I think they just want to be sure you are not driving with narcotics in you.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

look_out_world
on 11/21/11 3:40 am - Canada
I think I would talk to your surgeon and ask if there's any way you can stay in the hospital an extra day or 2 so that you don't have to stay in hotel by yourself.  You're not going to be able to carry your luggage by yourself hun.   Please don't try to do that.

Most Active
Recent Topics