Exercising

Lizzie54
on 1/4/12 9:52 am - Canada
I have joined a gym this week.  It is very close to home, and it was very inexpensive.  Instead of buying myself some bling with bonus $$$ from my job, decided to do the gym thing again. 

I am almost 5 weeks post-op and was wondering how much exercise can i do at the gym now.  I don't get to see the surgeon until Jan 13th, and will ask him at that time.

I thought that i could start on the treadmill and do some very low weights on my arms?  What is everyone's experience.

Thanks Liz
Liz   

smiley_k
on 1/4/12 10:38 am
Right now, I would just stick with the treadmill. Don't even bother with the weights until you ask your surgeon as every centre was different. I found for me that I was still pretty wiped out easily around that time and while I would feel like I could do so much, in reality, I couldn't. That's the main thing if you are going to start exercising... LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! It knows what's best for you!

Best of luck!
Katie  ♥     

sweetvania
on 1/4/12 11:24 am - mississauga, Canada
i aggree with smiley k u definantly dont want to overdue it you are still in recovery i would do some on the treadmill and maybe a swim if you joined a gym with a pool. i remember when i was 5 weeks out i was still fairly week and not consuming enough caleries or protien to sustain a heavy work out. i hope you are doing well and congrats on how far youve come and what an excellent idea with ur extra money i too just joined the gym two weeks ago and i am six months out best of luck to you lllllllllllllllllllllllll xxoo
RNY 07/05/11 dr klein!!! love it soo happy xxoo!!
Monica M.
on 1/4/12 7:10 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
very important to listen to your body and only do as much as you can. I'd say your plan sounds good.

The most important thing is to make exercise an integral part of your life.

HaroldC
on 1/4/12 9:09 pm - Canada
I am only 2 1/2 weeks post op, but I agree with ladies, you must listen to your body. I called the nurses last week and asked about exercise and they said regardless of your activity level in the the years leading up to surgery (i am extremely active) RNY is major surgery that rewires you insides.

They said I could use my elliptical, which I have been since Tuesday, but no weights over 10 pounds.

Listen to your body and speak to your surgeon on the 13th.

Best of luck!
Harold

SW 291  GW 199.9 CW 180 Surgery: TWH Dr. Penner Dec 20 2011
Celebrating life and opportunities for new beginings!!!

samtq
on 1/4/12 9:50 pm - Ottawa, Canada
I agree with the advice you've been given.  Stick with the treadmill for now because you may not realize it but even doing arm weights will engage your core and you are still healing there.  Wait until you get the go ahead from your surgeon before you try it.

Good luck and congratulations on your decision to include exercise in your weight loss journey!  Buy yourself the bling when you reach your goal!!  (Actually my "bling" was an exercise toy of sorts!  I got a Garmin Forerunner 305 to help track my running and I LOVE it!!)

Cheers,

Sue
“The miracle isn’t that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.? --John “the Penguin? Bingham 
There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living. ~ Nelson Mandela

HW: 247.5/SW: 228.5/CW:135/ My GW: 140/SGW: 151
Elise H.
on 1/5/12 8:14 am - Canada
RNY on 05/16/12
I attended the orientation at TWH last night and they said no weight training for 6 months.  Please let us know what the surgeon says when you see him.
Most Active
Recent Topics