My Weightloss Journey - 1 yr later (with pics)

boogyshoes
on 1/17/12 12:55 am, edited 1/17/12 12:58 am - Newmarket, ON, Canada
This time last year I was on the table having my insides rearranged with a Roux en Y Gastric Bypass surgery at TWH. It was a very difficult decision to make, and a difficult process to get on that table, but one year later I can only find relief that I finally got the help I needed.

After a lifetime of battling my weight and losing the battle, I think I had just gotten to a point of surrender. It just felt like such an impossible uphill battle that I knew with dedication and perseverance I could win (again) in the short term, I'd given up ever winning in the long term. I needed help. I'm not good at a) admitting that, or b) asking for it. Sucking up my pride and doing so was the hardest thing I've ever done.

As you guys know, it's still not effortless with this tool (you should have seen me Sunday having an emotional battle with myself in Sobeys over a bag of Potato chips).  But I've been given the gift of a kick in the right direction. I have 20 more lbs that I would like to lose, and then a lifetime of making good choices and not letting my bizarre emotional connection to food override my common sense. I have a lifetime of moderation ahead, and that is a good thing.

But more importantly, I have a LIFETIME ahead of me. At 300 lbs, I couldn't say that. I couldn't give that to me, or my husband, or my kids. Now I can.

And it's wonderful, and I'm so grateful. I'm grateful that my kids fit on my lap again. I'm grateful I can enjoy going sledding with them (let me tell you, dragging 300 lbs up a hill repeatedly is no fun, but when you consider mass x gravity = velocity (sort of) - 300 lbs hurtling down a hill is downright terrifying). I'm grateful that I can move, and breathe, and live my life again.

Thanks to everyone here for all the amazing support along the way! 

I still can't reconcile in my head that the person below suffocating in my own body was me. Denial certainly isn't just a river in Egypt.

1yr.jpg

Referral to TWH: June 30, 2010                 Dietitian & Nutrition ClassTWH: Oct 12, 2010                   
Orientation TWH:  Aug 11, 2010                Psych Appt TWH:   Nov 1st, 2010
Nurse & Social Worker TWH: Oct 7, 2010    Meet Dr. Penner:  Dec 3, 2010           
PATS: Jan 4, 2011                                     RNY w Dr. Okrainec:  Jan 17, 2011
HW: 299.8     SW: 282     

Janet13
on 1/17/12 12:58 am - Toronto, Canada
Fantastic! You look great and more importantly you feel great.
"I used to be SnowWhite and then I drifted"
"words come easy behind the screen, when there is no interface-to-face to be seen"

sam1am
on 1/17/12 1:04 am
Incredible transformation, congratz!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Joyce J.
on 1/17/12 1:09 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hey Lynn

You have done awesome, congrats.
You look wonderful.
So great to have the energy and be able to do the things with your kids that they enjoy doing

Hugs

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/12 1:10 am - Toronto, Canada
A really beautiful post and exactly what I needed to read heading into surgery tomorrow.  Thanks for sharing your success!  Congratulations!
boogyshoes
on 1/17/12 1:28 am - Newmarket, ON, Canada
You will rock this!   Really you will!   Good luck tomorrow!

Referral to TWH: June 30, 2010                 Dietitian & Nutrition ClassTWH: Oct 12, 2010                   
Orientation TWH:  Aug 11, 2010                Psych Appt TWH:   Nov 1st, 2010
Nurse & Social Worker TWH: Oct 7, 2010    Meet Dr. Penner:  Dec 3, 2010           
PATS: Jan 4, 2011                                     RNY w Dr. Okrainec:  Jan 17, 2011
HW: 299.8     SW: 282     

Dianadcr
on 1/17/12 1:17 am - Canada
Thank you for your words. You look amazing!
  Diana

Heidi S.
on 1/17/12 1:30 am - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
 You look amazing and it sounds like you are living an amazing life as well. I'm so happy for you and to be honest jealious because I'm not there yet lol.  

Sometimes you just put one foot in front of the other, even if you don't know where you're going. 

Surgery Aug. 29, 2012 with the Wonderful Dr. Aarts at TEGH

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

chipmunk_roasting
on 1/17/12 1:50 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada
Your story is wonderful and your accomplishment comes from such determination and hard work.
Congratulations -- you look so good!

As an aside, your photographer and your choice of what to wear for these photos (same background, very similar clothes, clear full length photos) make such an impression and truly show your achievement so well.  (My favourites are the disappearance of the bra straps(!) and the lovely straight line of your slim legs.))

BRAVA!

mmm

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

AllaP
on 1/17/12 2:30 am - Vaughan, Canada
 Congrats and enjoy yourself.

Alla.

Most Active
Recent Topics