ideas please help

Robin H.
on 2/8/12 7:39 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
 ok i have been exahsted i can't seem to break out of this funk.  I woke up this morning and started crying at the thought of having to get through another day of work.  My husband called in sick for me and i slept until 1pm i just feel like i am in an such a funk no energy and just not upto myself.  I have a few things i have to admit, i do work full time plus have 2 small kids who have activities in the evenings 4 days a week so most days i am on the go from 7am until 8 pm then hit the gym often not home until 10pm.  Also was thinking going back to work at 3 weeks might be catching up with me.  or i have had low iron in the past and am thinking it could be something physical.  or i guess could be winter blahhhhs.  Anyway how do you increase your energy and get through thye day.  In the past i have relied on caffine to push through but not sure now.  open to ideas.  Note i have called my clinic nurse is off until end of month and my GP is not in on wednesdays but will call tomorrow.

Robin

JennR
on 2/8/12 7:56 am
It sounds like you are really on the go 24/7 and burning out. yeah you probably could have used more time off from work because you've got your hands full at home and maybe you could ease back on the gym a little. Can you cut back on the kids activities so that it is just 2 nights or can your husband help out with that? I have a 10 year old and a 3 year old so I know about having your hands full with the kids and work, I cannot imagine that many nights of activities. My 10 year old has hockey (my husband handles that) and if he is not playing hockey he does martial arts twice a week. My 3 year old is not enrolled in anything at present. I work out at home but I was training too hard and had this bad back pain which I think was just my body telling me to cut it out!! It would be good to have your iron checked of course but you can only push yourself so hard for so long before your body starts pushing back.

Robin H.
on 2/8/12 8:51 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
 ohhh how i wish my husband drove ........ sigh, but alass he doesn't so besides regular activities i am responsible for every errand and shopping need for my household.

JennR
on 2/8/12 10:09 am
Well that certainly does make a difference. However are there any other parents that have kids in the same activities that you could prevail upon to pick up your kids once in awhile? I know we want to watch our kids but skipping 1 night here or there and giving you some time to just veg out would probably be beneficial. Or frankly if you can drop some activities for a month or two that might help as well. I know what you mean about the caffeine. I used to work 12 hour night shifts and caffeine and food were what kept me going. It just feels to me that you are going all out all the time and it's too darned much.

monique_lite2b
on 2/8/12 7:58 am - North Bay, Canada
Hi Robin!  I was exhaused just reading about your typical day.  I think you have to cut yourself some slack.  I don't know who wouldn't be tired doing what you do in a day.  You just had surgery a short time ago.  You are doing a lot and not eating as much as you use to so your energy is going to be down.  Your energy will get better in time, give yourself some time to catch up to all the changes.  Try to take some time for yourself to relax and collect your thoughts.  Be good to yourself!! 

Referral - Sept.23.2010, Orientation - June 8.2010, Nurse&S.W. -  July 28.2011, Nutrition Class -    Aug.2.2011, Nutritionist -  Sept.13.2011, Psych - Sept.15.2011, Surgeon -  Oct.21.2011, Surgery - November 1, 2011.                        
TBIYTC
on 2/8/12 8:29 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 02/29/12
Robin, I think the other two posters are correct.  Be kind to yourself.  You'll be no good for anyone  if you get sick and have to go in the hospital! 

TBIYTC-The Best Is Yet To Come Referral-Mar 2011   Surgery Feb 29th, 2012

Megan M.
on 2/8/12 8:57 am - Canada
Robin, I know that when we have this surgery we all go great guns to maximize our results, but I sometimes think that's a mistake.  You've just had major surgery - that in itself takes weeks and sometimes months for true recovery.  Add to that the fact that you are eating very little for your size, and it's no wonder you're tired.  You've been going like a madwoman at the complex as well as tending to the needs of your family, plus working full time.  It's no wonder you're tired.  While you do need to exercise, you have to pace yourself - most of your energy should be going to the healing process, and you're probably spreading yourself too thin.  We can all do this for awhile, but it eventually catches up to us.  You're not going to fail if you cut back your exercise a bit - you can step it up as your energy returns.  But if you keep going at this pace and don't deal with your exhaustion, you could be heading for bigger problems.  Of course, I'm not an expert, but I truly feel you need to cut yourself some slack.

I was exhausted for about 2 1/2 to 3 months, and my surgery was in the summer when I was off work, so I had a full 6 weeks of recovery, and even with that, when I went back to work in September I was just plain worn out at the end of the day and would need to nap before supper.  

Are you able to take a few weeks off work, or perhaps cut your hours back to give yourself more rest time?  Whatever you're able to do, you have to put yourself first and allow yourself a gradual return to your usual busy schedule.  You'll get there, but you have to allow your body the healing time that it needs.  Take care of yourself.  And a big shout out to your husband for insisting you stay home and sleep.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

Robin H.
on 2/8/12 11:07 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
 i have a lay off coming at the end of march but really thinking about asking for it early i am really feeling it seems to be getting worse rather than better.  So i know something has to give.  I would like to hang on until the end of march but feeling the way i do i am unsure i will be able to.  Maybe my DR will put me on sick leave if i ask.

Robin 

aprilbennett1965
on 2/8/12 9:00 am - Canada
Robin, I think the others have offered some great advice...I just wanted to say that I wish you all the best on getting through this rough patch.
Surgery ---December 23 with Dr. Yelle!

Leslie W.
on 2/8/12 9:31 am - Cobourg, Canada
Sounds like you are doing the job of three people. I know it is hard but maybe relook at what you need to keep and what you can give up. You are still not that far along and your body is still adjusting. Dont forget your calorie intake is much smaller now. Even if you get in 1000 cal you are not absorbing it all.

I dont have kids and I find myself exhausted at times, It does take time for the anesthetic to get out of your system too.  Your hormones get out of wack too with this surgeryGive yourself permission to put yourself first.

I hope you feel better soon.
Leslie

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Most Active
Recent Topics