Newbie question

Mary A.
on 2/26/12 6:37 am
 Hi Jason, welcome to OH :) Best of luck on your journey.

As far as the appointment with the psychiatrist, I too was a little skeptical.  My appt with the psychiatrist was actually less focussed on eating habits/behaviours (which I found odd - but had covered in depth with the Social Worker, Nurse & Dietitian) and more focussed on my general lifestyle - drinking, drugs, work & life balance, support, how I deal with stress, - obviously, can all be related back to eating issues.  I think this was an effort to focus on behaviours that may become "replacement" addictions if I can no longer turn to food - she was very quick to jump all over my previous alcohol consumption (though I hadn't had a drink in 6 months!), even though all of my peers (university students) drank 3x the amount and 3x as often as I did!

Best of luck.  Don't stress too much over the appointment, be honest and it will go well! They should give you a lot of credit for taking this step, regardless of your past behaviour :) 

Jason W.
on 2/26/12 10:18 pm - Canada
Alcohol is a big part of my lifestyle. I chose to stop drinking now to prepare myself. 3 weeks in and I feel great. Yet since most of my friends drink, I find some of them avoiding me like the plague. Funny how people react when you are trying to better your life. Good thing I have a very supportive family and some close friends that may not always understand, but are willing to share in my struggles.
(deactivated member)
on 2/26/12 6:37 am - Canada
I was also very nervous about this appointment. Was afraid I was going to say the wrong thing or what I said be taken the wrong way. A few minutes into the appointment I realized I have to be honest with myself and to this journey for it to be the best it can be.
Diminishing Dawn
on 2/26/12 7:51 am, edited 2/26/12 10:40 pm - Windsor, Canada

Why would it matter how I deal with cravings for sweets (which is my nemesis) when those cravings go away with RNY and my stomach would probably regect it anyway. Any thoughts on this ?

Not sure who told you this but this is just wrong. You'll be fighting with your sugar cravings for the rest of your life.  Maybe 30% of people can't handle sugar their first year. Most of those people will lose that by the year mark.   Even if you are one to dump, you may still end up wanting sugar, eating it and paying the piper.    

Most of us after a year or two CAN eat anything and it becomes a matter of dealing with cravings, plain old willpower, finding alternate coping methods.  It is going to be a struggle to stay healthy. This surgery gives you the opportunity to lose a bunch of weight in 22-24 months but it is still going to up to you to keep it off.  You'll hear us say again and again that it is a tool not a magic pill. 

The first few years are golden. The real challenge is long term :-)

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Jason W.
on 2/26/12 10:32 pm - Canada
Good point, I may not be a dumper. I know I am going to need some help with my food addiction and how I deal with daily stresses and choices.

The good thing is, I can start making changes now so there isn't such a shock post surgery.

I truly appreciated the honesty on this site, yourself included

Thanks, J
SandpaperSandy
on 2/26/12 7:52 am - Kitchener, Canada
Hi Jason and welcome.

I am 1 year post op and before surgery, not only did I visit with my clinic's SW, I also spent time with a private therapist. 

others will tell you, the biggest hurdle your will face  will be your mental state and that is the truth.

I found my private sessions with a behavourial therapist worth while.  something you may to check into.
jdance
on 2/27/12 12:35 am - Canada
Hi Jason,
Don't have much to ad to all the responses you've received, some great advice.

I forget sometimes that i've had the surgery. I feel so normal and can eat pretty much anything. I stay away from fried and fast foods though. don't want to go down that road. But I get full so fast I can't imagine trying to even eat a hamburger.

Cravings do come back, but they can be controlled by keeping the bad carbs and sugars to a minimum.

anyway, welcome to the board, and best of luck with your journey, you've come to the right place for support.

Janice

Most Active
Recent Topics