Newbie question

Jason W.
on 2/26/12 5:13 am - Canada

Hi, my name is Jason and I am new to this forum. I have been doing a lot of reading about WLS and really like the care and support of this site.

I am currently through to round 2 with appointments with Dietitian, Nurse and Psych. coming up in March.  I wonder why the Psychiatrist ? Am I crazy ? The SW claims it may help me to come up with strategies for stress eating etc. I definately would have been more prepared for the meeting with the SW if I knew what was expected of me at the meeting.

Why would it matter how I deal with cravings for sweets (which is my nemesis) when those cravings go away with RNY and my stomach would probably regect it anyway. Any thoughts on this ?

TBIYTC
on 2/26/12 5:17 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 02/29/12
You may lose those cravings at first, but as six months to a year go bye, you may be tempted to go back to your old crutches.  Your hospital wants you to be successful long-time.

TBIYTC-The Best Is Yet To Come Referral-Mar 2011   Surgery Feb 29th, 2012

Moselle
on 2/26/12 5:31 am - Athens, Canada
Welcome Jason.  Please remember that this surgery isn't a cure all. You can't rely on your body dumping on sugar; some people don't. So if you are one of the people who can tolerate sugar does that mean that you will eat it? You definitely need to change your relationship with food for the long haul to be successful and maintain it!  

I'm only 14 months post-op, I've been successful so far; I'm currently 15 lbs below my original goal but I continue to work at staying here. I journal everyday so that I can see if I start to fall back into my old patterns.  

I wish you all the best on your journey.

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." -Robert Collier
Join Kingston Ontario WLS Support Group - Online @ OH 

HW: 267         SW: 248       GW:155       LW: 132      CW: 143-148      

Jason W.
on 2/26/12 10:43 pm - Canada

Thanks, I do recognize how I got to be Obese. It's those patterns that will be a lifelong thorn in my side. What may work for me is taking time out to think before I consume.

msheavyhearted
on 2/26/12 5:43 am - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
Welcome to the forum.

A simple answer to your final question: The surgery is on your stomach and not your head.

Sweets are my nemesis, as well. I'm three weeks post op and the cravings are gone - for now. I fully expect them to come back but am wishing they don't. You also CANNOT count on your stomach to reject things that are sweet or fatty. Dumping syndrome does NOT happen to everyone. (I believe the current stats are about 30% of RNY'ers get it.) Even those of us who dump may not do so forever or we may need large amounts of the offending substance to cause a reaction.

Have you asked yourself why you're reluctant to see the psychiatrist? I was a little apprehensive, too. Honestly, I think I was afraid he'd find some reason to refuse the surgery. I found the appointment to be uneventful and I left feeling fine. I'm now looking to start some therapy around my food issues. IMHO, the reason we eat is not simply because we like sweets or we're hungry. For those of us who ballooned to over 300 lbs, food represents much more than nourishment.

I hope you'll go to your appointment with an open mind. Perhaps you'll learn something about yourself. If not, it's only an hour or so out of your life.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Thea
Want to join the CRAZY TransCanada Challenge?? Just message me. Here's a link to the rules: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4570778/REPOST-The-CRAZY-TransCanada-Challenge-Rules/

Jason W.
on 2/26/12 10:25 pm - Canada
I feel some anxiety over the psychiatrist. I think I overwhelmed the SW with my life and problems that she felt this man needs some serious help. I don't think I have anything to say to the Psychiatrist that hasn't been beaten to death already.

Hoping to get some pointers on stress eating and dealing with my food addictions.
Tammy J.
on 2/26/12 5:44 am - Canada
RNY on 02/21/13
hi there i am new too i see the phyco on tuesday and they are right its about changing our mindset about food not just the food itself this is a whole lifestyle change not just a tummy change i will let you know how my appointment goes after tuesday btw where are you having your appointments i go to toronto western hospital
Jason W.
on 2/26/12 10:12 pm - Canada
Humber Hospital is where I have all my appointments and hopefully my surgery.
Karen W.
on 2/26/12 6:32 am - Canada
Hi Jason.

I was hoping that I would be a dumper, but I'm not.  It seems that I can eat pretty well anything I want, and I actually wish that I had never tested it by having sugar in the first place.

Cravings do come back for a lot of people.  I'm one of them.  I've found ways to cope with them but I admit that I do give in from time to time, although on a very small scale compared to before WLS!

Try to think of seeing the psyc as a good thing.  We're very fortunate to have access to this resource, as wait lists for psychiatrists are extremely long these days.  Get what you can out of it.  Soon you will be past this hurdle and on your way!

RNY April 11, 2011       

Jason W.
on 2/26/12 10:34 pm - Canada
Thanks, I will
Most Active
Recent Topics