Protein Bars and Shakes

dawn4511
on 3/5/12 9:40 am - Niagara Falls, Canada
Barix told me that after 6mths there is no need to have protein shakes or bars because I was eating enough so I gave up having them. I really enjoy them thou and I feel like my day is starting off right when I have a protein shake.

My question is has anyone else been told this? What does everyone think? Do you still use them?

Thank you so much
Dawn

10/18/07 RNY ( hw 305 sw 290 lw 189ish) St Joe's 08/14/14 RNY reversal to sleeve. I survived 3 leaks,4 operations and a feeding tube.

Moselle
on 3/5/12 9:46 am - Athens, Canada
 I personally use the protein shakes on the weekend when I sleep in and skip breakfast. I use the protein shake in my coffee - turns out like a latte. I like to have a protein bar in my purse in case I'm out and faced with unhealthy choices.

I try to eat my protein through good food choices but I use shakes and bars as a supplement to my regular diet.   That is my 2 cents.  

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." -Robert Collier
Join Kingston Ontario WLS Support Group - Online @ OH 

HW: 267         SW: 248       GW:155       LW: 132      CW: 143-148      

dawn4511
on 3/5/12 11:18 am - Niagara Falls, Canada
Thank you I appreciate your 2 cents

10/18/07 RNY ( hw 305 sw 290 lw 189ish) St Joe's 08/14/14 RNY reversal to sleeve. I survived 3 leaks,4 operations and a feeding tube.

Manda M.
on 3/5/12 11:31 am
 I'm 4 months out and I find I have them on days when I just don't find enough time to eat or just didn't get enough protein in a day. Like right I am in bed just about to go to sleep sipping on a protein shake.
http://pouchgirlrny.blogspot.com  -- My thoughts and experience so far post RNY!!

Zer0
on 3/5/12 11:42 am - Sudbury, Canada
Kissing toads-Lol, I am doing the same thing! I want to go to bed but will not let myself until I finish my protein shake!
Just had to post it.
Kristen

ToNewBeginnings
on 3/5/12 8:32 pm
It's true that you don't "need" them anymore once you are far enough out and can eat well.

If you like a shake in the morning I don't see a problem with that.

I have a protein shake as a quick way to boost my protein if I need it on occasion, or I take a bar with me sometimes if I'm going out and I'm not sure if I'll be back in time for lunch before I get too hungry.
I do try to get most of my nutrients from "real food".

(deactivated member)
on 3/5/12 9:33 pm - Canada
I'm 7m out & I use them daily. I use shakes as my breakfast & sometimes as a snack & I use bars before & after my workouts.

I went through Humber and was never told not to use them after so many months.

Days like today when I'm nauseous, I'll rely on them for my meals.
CanDoItFour
on 3/5/12 10:16 pm - Canada
Hi Dawn

I am a year out, and also really like protein shakes and power bars, so I posed this question to the NUT at TWH specifically - is the "quality" of protein in real food superior to that in these processed foods.  The answer she gave me was no - they are equally good.  There is a natural bias for whole foods, but I think it's fair to say that there is an even higher bias for a healthy body weight, so she said  ..." do what works for you, but try to use as much whole food as you can." 

I will probably have a protein shake for breakfast for the rest of my life because it works for me after 45 years of not eating any breakfast at all.  I too carry a protein bar in my purse ALWAYS as a back-up for food emergencies (as I think of them).  I also use protein bars once in a while at home when I crave something sweeter and chewy/crunchy.  I am gluten free, so I eat no breads/baked goods/cereals, so an occasional soy-crisp based protein bar really helps with this.  Basically I try to make the best choices I can for my cir****tances, and try to not let the "whole food" police - who are probably right - get me down.

Claire
HW 348
CW151
Leanne1
on 3/5/12 10:22 pm - Newmarket, Canada
I don't see a problem with it either. I am 18 months out and still drink a shake almost everyday.
They are great when I'm in a hurry, which seems to be alot. LOL

But for the most part, I try to get most of my protein thru meats (chicken, steak, pork, deli lunch meats, extra lean burger), nuts, eggs, cheeses and other foods.

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

kellybelly333
on 3/5/12 10:49 pm - Toronto, Canada
As a daily meat-eater, and almost a year out, I get enough protein via meat. (According to my nutritionist at TWH that is).

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Most Active
Recent Topics