Yet another reminder of why I need this surgery

chipmunk_roasting
on 3/11/12 5:12 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada
I had a folding chair collapse under me last night, sitting with two friends and thirteen strangers playing euchre at a house party.  Thump! No warning from the chair, just me on my large buttocks, on the floor.

It was embarrasing, particularly the struggle to pretend it really hadn't hurt (and it did and does, like an SOB).  Then the struggle to get up.

So, yet one more thing to put on my list of "remember those times?" when I, too, post-surgery, may question "what the heck have I done".

I'm stiff, sore and more committed than ever to this long, long process.

It's March, and it's now eight months since my orientation at the Ottawa Civic, and they said eight to nine months, so I'm hanging in there, waiting patiently to be called for my first appointments.

And, next year?  at the annual euchre tournament?   I might not break a chair.

Thanks for listening to my whine.

Marilyn

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

Moselle
on 3/11/12 5:18 am - Athens, Canada
 Sorry to hear about last night's incident.  We all know the embarassment that those situation cause and share your pain. 

I hope you get the call that gets your appointment rolling soon.  I agree that once you've had the surgery you'll be able to look back on these situations and be thankful that you took these steps. I certainly am happy with my results.

All the best for a successful journey.  Muriel

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." -Robert Collier
Join Kingston Ontario WLS Support Group - Online @ OH 

HW: 267         SW: 248       GW:155       LW: 132      CW: 143-148      

chipmunk_roasting
on 3/11/12 5:37 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada
Thank you, Muriel.  I'm grateful for your kind words.

mmm

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

Vi-Vi
on 3/11/12 5:28 am
VSG on 12/13/12
 Oh Marilyn!  I sure feel for you as that is on my mind all the time!   I hope you weren't hurt too bad!   I hope you have a better day!  

chipmunk_roasting
on 3/11/12 5:38 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada
Thank you, Vi-Vi -- I'm sore, but my butt protected my tail bone (silver lining, I guess :)). 

mmm

OKNEE FE + 3
on 3/11/12 5:35 am
Your story put a lump in my throat and brought tears to my eyes, over two years later and those memories still haunt me.  Soon it will be your turn and all this will be behind you.  Stay strong, be brave, carry on.

HUGGS

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

chipmunk_roasting
on 3/11/12 5:40 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada
Thanks, OKNEE -- I'm gladly accepting those hugs. :)

I fell early in the evening, so I still had a couple of hours to go, perching gingerly every time I had to move to a card table/chair in the round robin.  I was grateful when I won a game, so I could stay with the sturdy dining room chair.  :)

*****s) up :)

mmm

Susan B.
on 3/11/12 5:53 am - Canada
RNY on 02/17/12
We have all been there in one situation or another.  It sucks, normal sized people have no idea what we go through, scanning a room as well walk in to see what chairs might hold us. what chairs we might fit in,.

I was with work at a hotel and we went for lunch, a large group, we had prebooked and the hotel had a table set for us.  Of course I was the largest there, and of course they were chairs with arms, which did not fit my larger than life booty.  I asked for a different chair but they did not have any-it was in agincourt- a mostly asian section of Toronto where people are very small as a rule.  I had to move us to  the booths on the wall where there was a bench that I could fit.  Let me be clear it was not that I was uncomfortable in the chair with arms I could not squeeze into the chair no matter how I perched.  The waitress was upset because that table was not set for us.  Finally I had to loudly say to her My fat ass does not fit in that chair-she was not understanding the subtle ways I was trying to explain.  With that she backed down and reset the table.

Of course the waitress was petite.  Luckily my group of co workers are fiercely protective of me and understand. 

Truly I am looking forward to the NSV that are to come.  Hubby and I were just discussing them today, for example going to the beach and being able to buy a cheap beach chair knowing we will fit and not break it, floating on pool floaties that actually float when we are on them,,,, the list goes on.

I am on my way to a normal life, it cannot come soon enough.

Marilyn your turn will soon enough  be here!!

From Orientation at TWH to Surgical date~6 months 

chipmunk_roasting
on 3/11/12 5:57 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada
Thank you, Susan, for sharing that story -- you're absolutely right about the feelings being the common bond.

Kindest regards, eh?

mmm

Brenda T.
on 3/11/12 6:11 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
What a way to kick yourself in your own butt. hope you get better soon.
I hope you get your call very soon!!

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

Most Active
Recent Topics