How much wait can I lose!

BrigitteD
on 3/15/12 2:41 am - Sumerstown, Canada
So has some of you know, I'm waiting to have surgery.  I started this journey at around 250-255 not sure last November.   From that by my nurse in Nov 2011 I came down to 238.  Not easily changing life stiles, not more junk, pop, beer, salt , just eating better excercising and I m hungry allot!  So got on the scale today, 230.  One month ago I was put on depression pills which one of the side affect is wait lose.  If only I would of known that 10years ago.  Now if I lose another 15 ponds with optifast can I be refuse for the surgery.  Yes I lost wait now but I know from past experience that I can gain it all back I no time and then some.  I don t want to have to start this all over again in another 2 years!  Happy about my wait lost, it has showed me I can do this specialy with my new tool.  But will they give me the tool!

Highs weigh   241                                      Referal: November, 2010
Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

Leanne1
on 3/15/12 2:45 am - Newmarket, Canada
If your BMI is 40 or lower, you will no longer be excepted to have the surgery.

I started losing before my surgery and they told me that if I lost anymore weight, I wouldn't be having the suregery. And, Like you, I knew that I could do it BUT I would gain it allll back and then some. I learned that from previous experience as well.
BrigitteD
on 3/15/12 2:53 am - Sumerstown, Canada
So Im I suppose to go back to eating crapy food till furgery!  what did you do!

Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

Leanne1
on 3/15/12 2:57 am - Newmarket, Canada
I didn't go back to eating crappy foods. I was just more mindful in what I was doing.

I knew that I needed to have this surgery. It was my only way to break being in  the "fat" cycle.

What is your bmi at now? Have you talked to the dietitian?
(deactivated member)
on 3/15/12 2:56 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
You aren't doing Optifast until you have a surgery date right?  Once you have a surgery date and start Optifast, they won't refuse you if you lose too much on Opti as you have already been approved.

How tall are you and do you have any co-morbities like diabetes, sleep apnea, hypertension?  If you have any of these then your BMI only has to be 35.  Some centres say that it's your weight at time of referral that counts not at time of meeting the surgeon but then again all centres are different.
BrigitteD
on 3/15/12 3:01 am - Sumerstown, Canada
I'm with Ottawa I'm 4feet 11, 230lbs  My bmi is 46 now.  I have thyroid issues and metric valve to my heart which is not a danger to my health if I loose the weight.

After opti        220                                           

(deactivated member)
on 3/15/12 3:05 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Then you can lose a lot more before you start Optifast before you even hit the magic number of 40.
Dianadcr
on 3/15/12 2:56 am - Canada
I was lower than 40 but had comorbidities so qualified to have surgery. Hopefully you'll be able to continue with your journey.
  Diana

Megan M.
on 3/15/12 5:12 am - Canada
I always though that acceptance was based on your BMI at the time of orientation/first visits, and that if your bmi went down, it didn't matter.  Could be wrong, but that's just what I always thought.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

tasha_the_dog
on 3/15/12 6:34 am - Thunder Bay, , Canada
My BMI was below 40 when I started Opti and I had no issues.

Referral to Thunder Bay Bariatric Centre July 2010 Orientation Class August 2010
Appointments with dietician, nurse practitioner and psychologist September/November 2010   Ultrasound November 2010
Scope June 10, 2011, meeting with surgeon Nov 29, 2011    surgery  VSG Jan 20/12
Surgeon: Dr. Gmora
HW 287

CW 169

Most Active
Recent Topics