Optifast and work....

amarettogal
on 4/12/12 11:03 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 05/01/12
Hello All,

I have a question I heard the best way to mix the opti was in cold water with the magic bullet....

For those of you working untill surgery how did you do Opti at work?

and for you newbies.. when you get Opti.. Bring a BIG dollar store like bag...

The future has not been set there is no fate but what we make for ourselves.

Leslie W.
on 4/12/12 11:09 am - Cobourg, Canada
I would mix/blend up my opti at home add extra ice and that worked for me.
Those going through TWH get their Opti delivered to their home,

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
amarettogal
on 4/12/12 11:11 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 05/01/12
Thanks for the reply so if I keep it cool.. I should be fine to drink it hours later...Also, what kind of container cup thermos did you use?

The future has not been set there is no fate but what we make for ourselves.

Leslie W.
on 4/12/12 11:29 am - Cobourg, Canada
I used a protein shake container that has a metal ball in it. It helps to break up any lumps. I bought it at the Nutrition House. You can get them at Walmart too I think.

I just used my thermal lunch bag and put an ice pack in it. Worked for me.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
journeyforme
on 4/12/12 11:34 am, edited 4/12/12 11:34 am - Kingston , Canada
VSG on 04/17/12
I used one of those protein shake mixer with the metal ball inside too. Only I filled it with the proper amount of water and put that in the fridge at work to keep it really cold and then added the powder at lunch time. Shake shake shake and it was ready. Those mixers work really well for "on the go".

Good Luck
Tanja
Lisa A.
on 4/12/12 11:43 am, edited 4/12/12 11:43 am - Canada
DS on 09/21/12
Lisa
St.Joes Hamilton- Dr. Hong- Duodenal Switch (DS)
ref-Aug /11                       ultrasound-March/12            internist- April/12
info sess-Jan/12                soc worker-March/12             surgeon app. May/12
nurse & dietician-Feb/12     scope- March/12                 surgery- Sept 21/12
Heathergetbetter
on 4/12/12 11:46 am - Trenton, ON, Canada
RNY on 05/02/12

Thanks for posting this question. I was wondering the same thing.

Dr Ref: Sept 9th '10, Dr. Follow up (file lost in bulk transfer) Aug '11Pre-surg Asmt Ottawa: Dec 9th '11File Transf to HRH -another bulk transf Bypass class: Feb 2 '12 Surgeon Consult: Feb 8 '12    Dietician: Feb 8 '12   Soc Wrkr: Feb 8 '12 Nurse: Feb 8 '12 Internist: Mar 9 '12  Surgeon: Apr 4 '12 Opti:Apr 18 '12 SURGERY: May 2 '12    
savasana
on 4/12/12 11:49 am - St. Thomas, Canada
RNY on 03/06/12
 I never bought any special equipement or containers for my opti and I did just fine.

I used any tupperware container, measured the water, added the powder, threw in a few ice cubes, and shook it for about 20 seconds.  The ice did the same thing the the metal ball would have done in the shake containers and did just as good a job as any blender.

For work I just brought in a ziploc with ice and left it in the fridge freezer so I didn't have to bring ice back and forth each day.  Worked great!

Also, while it is possible to mix the shakes ahead of time, many folks find the texture unpalatable when they go to drink it.  It is recommended that you make it right before consuming.  At least try it out before you test taking it to work to make sure you can still drink it rather than being potentially left with nothing to have that day.

sam1am
on 4/12/12 11:51 am
If I remember correctly, you should drink an Optifast after its been mixed or it loses some of its properties, so I would (and did) bring a shaker cup with me and mixed one when I wanted one. 

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

up4execution
on 4/12/12 12:01 pm
 Take the magic bullet to work.....

Or get another one for work....chances are you will use it on the puréed food stage, protein shakes or smoothies afterward anyway....
Most Active
Recent Topics