Now I m scared!

BrigitteD
on 4/25/12 11:43 am - Sumerstown, Canada
I was looking up Dr.Raichie I see that she s just starting out and not much experience.  Even read about a girl who had to stay 3 week in the hospital because of her mistake.  Please someone give me something positive!

Highs weigh   241                                      Referal: November, 2010
Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

(deactivated member)
on 4/25/12 11:46 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
You will meet her and have  a chance to ask her about her experience and judge her for yourself.
Karen M.
on 4/25/12 11:48 am - Mississauga, Canada
You always have the option of asking for another surgeon. Or not having  surgery. Or, talking with your surgeon about your concerns and go from there.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 4/25/12 11:59 am - Canada
I agree with the suggestions to meet her and discuss the concern with her. If you're still uneasy after that, ask for another surgeon.
stephanie2011
on 4/25/12 12:20 pm - toronto, Canada
I can't speak about this doctor specifically but my advice is to always go with your gut feeling.  This is your life and if you are uneasy for any reason, then you need to either talk to her to address those concerns or find another surgeon. 
I was referred to Dr. Klein and during the process I had the option of getting my surgery done by another surgeon at St. Joes.  I decided to stay with Dr. Klein even though it would take longer because I was comfortable with that surgeon and didn't know anything about the other.  My GP has told me that the other surgeon has personally operated on him twice and is excellent BUT that I made the right decision to stay with Dr. Klein.  So, I feel good with my decision to go with my gut feeling.  There were also stories online about Dr. Klein making a mistake that cost a girl her life but I read all of the information I could and I still feel good about my decision.   

Whatever you decide, just be sure that you are 100% comfortable with your decision.  Good luck!
Referral: Aug 3, 2010       Info Session: Dec 12, 2011   
Nurse Appt: Jan 30, 2012    Diet/Nut Appt: Feb 8, 2012
Surgery Class: Jan 24, 2012
Meet Surgeon: Feb 8,2012    Start Optifast: April 24, 2012
Surgery Date: May 8, 2012

(deactivated member)
on 4/25/12 9:27 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 05/25/12
I meet her next week as well!! But Lana did say just because you meet her it doesn't mean she'll do the surgery.

Keep me posted on your thoughts, I'll do the same.
Tanya T.
on 4/25/12 10:54 pm
Very true the surgeon you meet at your appointment is not necessarily your surgeon.  I met with Dr. Gmora at my appointment but Dr. Anavari did my surgery.  I didn't meet him until I was on the operating table. He was an excellent surgeon!

Tanya

Mary A.
on 4/25/12 11:44 pm
don't judge a person by something you heard form someone else or from the rumor mill...when I had my 2nd child he was delivered by an -on-call resident who had only delivered 3 babies prior to my delivery..my son is now a 14 yr old healthy young man.

take time to feel at ease with your surgeon and you can ask her straight forward any questions you may have and tell her about your concerns..

everyone had to start somewhere...

also...you can always ask her if you can have a surgery date (later) on...maybe if you are willing and she is willing you could post-pone your surgery for 8-1yr...until you know she has had more surgeries sunder her belt...some would see that as extreme..but each person is an individual, and what works for one may not work for the other etc,

do what makes you comfortable and remember surgeons and all health care professionals, should answer ANY questions you may have honestly.

all the best

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Gabygee
on 4/26/12 12:34 am - Canada
The WeightLoss Surgery for Dummies book had a list of questions to ask your surgeon.
(It's primarily aimed at American patients, but applicable in most cases to Canadians as well.)

I devised a list of ten questions to ask my surgeon, and when I came to the question about how many of these surgeries he had performed (the answer was 350), he asked me in a very polite but curious way - "What would my answer MEAN to you? Where is the cutoff point for "enough" of these surgeries?"

I thought that was fair, and as it happens, the book had in fact addressed that.
They said that if a surgeon had performed or seen around 200-250 bypass surgeries, it was likely they had seen almost every complication that could potentially occur - and would know how to handle it.

When I reiterated that to my surgeon, he nodded and agreed.

Not sure if this helps, but you certainly do have the right to ask questions, and should definitely go armed.

BrigitteD
on 4/26/12 12:54 am - Sumerstown, Canada
Thank s everyone.  I meet Dr.Yelle at my surgeon app. Its Lana that told me that I was getting Isabelle on the 10 th.  Just wondering if anyone on the board had her has a surgeon.  Thanks for all the great tricks.

Highs weigh   241                                      Referal: November, 2010
Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

Most Active
Recent Topics