Sugar Alcohols while on Optifast

Tracey H.
on 5/2/12 6:25 am - Tecumseh, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
 Hi All,

First day of optifast and although I really like the shakes (taste) I am struggling a bit with hunger. I really, really, really want food LOL. I do know this will get better as the days go on, so I am staying positive and focused. 

At TWH they said we can have sf jello and sf popsicles. I am looking at the box of sf popsicles that I bought and it has no sugar; but, it has 2g of sugar alcohol and 4g of carbs.

Will this be ok to have in moderation or will it prevent my body from going into ketosis and ruin the effects that optifast should be having to shrink my liver?

Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 5/2/12 7:09 am - Canada
The sugar alcohols will be fine - they pass through undigested. Where are the other carbs coming from?
SandpaperSandy
on 5/2/12 8:29 am - Kitchener, Canada
try to include other fluids into your day to allow yourself something else to "eat".

drink a shake plus broth for lunch and supper and eat the popsicles and jello as the desert.

it does get better, but it may take you a couple of days before the hunger feeling goes away. the point where you no longer feel hungry is different for everyone, it could talk 5 days, 3 days, or longer. be patient and look at the price at the end. 

there are lots of optiions to mix things up for opti.- check out the recipe site for suggestions.
Tracey H.
on 5/2/12 8:39 am - Tecumseh, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
  I am not sure where the other carbs are coming from. Nutritional info says 0 sugar......

Great idea Sandy! I will try that!

Tracey

JJ_
on 5/2/12 9:11 am
The carbs are when you gnaw on the popsicle stick. 
(deactivated member)
on 5/2/12 9:49 am - Canada
That literally made me laugh out loud at my desk!   I guess the net carbs would still be 0 because it's 100% fibre.
(deactivated member)
on 5/2/12 12:35 pm - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
That was so funny
onmom
on 5/2/12 3:00 pm
My diabetic Nut said some may have a reduced sugar like reaction to alcohol sugars so count each g as a third. That would make the level so low I don't know if it would matter.

Most Active
Recent Topics