Any one get gout after surgery?

amarettogal
on 5/29/12 7:00 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 05/01/12
So my big toe is all swollen well .. more so above it and below it now.. and it might be gout.. why .. well high levels of protein and rapid weight loss can cause it...

so awaiting uric acid level blood work and .. xrays...

The future has not been set there is no fate but what we make for ourselves.

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/12 8:01 am - Guelph, Canada
 please keep me posted I am so worried about this.. 
amarettogal
on 5/29/12 8:16 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 05/01/12
I really think it is .. from Monday starting off as throbbing in my big toe.. my entire foot from this afternoon is now swollen and it's moved over to the 2nd and 3rd toe... My doc got blood for uric acid levels and potassium.. so we shall see.. as well as xrays.

Btrue2u
on 5/29/12 9:52 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/20/12
Hoping all is well  keep us posted
amarettogal
on 5/29/12 9:54 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 05/01/12
Will do, this makes surgery look like a scratch pain wise.. and .. no NSAIDS .. so pain galore.

happypants
on 5/29/12 10:19 am - Ottawa, Canada
I had really bad gout after my surgery, if fact I was off work an additional month because of it. I was told that the high levels of uric acid was caused by to much protein, dehydration and the Hydrochlorothiazide I was taking.

Amarettogal I really want to encourage you to seek treatment through your weight loss centre. I went to a walk in clinic at first to seek treatment for the gout, they wanted to give me steroids to treat the gout. I knew from my research that I shouldn't have the steroids post surgery. Although doctors have the best of intentions they are not all familiar with weight loss surgery and the do's and don'ts that go along with it.

I ended up going to the WMC (Weight Management Clinic) here in Ottawa and I am really glad I did. The steroids would have been a grave mistake. I was treated with 0.6mg of Colchicine. This is a very small dose as more was making me feel very ill, vomiting.

I had one episode after the initial bout with gout. I think its because I was sick with pneumonia and didn't drink enough fluids.

Dee try not to worry about getting gout, it is what it is. As awful as it is there is nothing you can do to prevent it so no sense making your self sick with worry. If you have an appointment with your weight management team before surgery let them know your concerns about gout, there is a list of foods to avoid. I'll try and find my handout of these foods and post it for you both.

Ann

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

amarettogal
on 5/29/12 10:36 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 05/01/12
Thanks for your information Happypants... I too think its the high levels of protein.. cause my centre told me 120 g a day and others do about 80g.. I was on hydrochlorathiazide ... but since surgery BP regulated however for my PCOS I began taking my spironolactone another diuretic... so... I saw my family doctor and she's very well informed about the surgery.. she recommended it to me.

Tomorrow I am back in the hospital for my post op 1 month and nut class... A MONTH.. wow.. I can't imagine living with this for a month.. Hopefully when its properly diagnosed I can get injections or something..

This pain is insane...

happypants
on 5/29/12 11:01 am - Ottawa, Canada
I didn't think I could last another day with it lol but I did. I would give birth to ten kids at once before wanting to go through that again, worst pain I ever experienced EVER. I really hope you find some relief soon.

Ann

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/12 11:29 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
Could you try using an ice bag for some relief and keep foot elevated and lots of water.
amarettogal
on 5/29/12 1:03 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 05/01/12
Thanks Debra, ya ice is your best friend cause it numbs the pain but you can't keep it on always so its the inbetween icings that kill.. also im soaking it freezing water in the tub.... and drinking drinking...  Wonder if I go into an emerg if they can inject me with something

Most Active
Recent Topics