Just starting out!

michellealana
on 6/15/12 10:49 am
Hello
I am very interested in learning about this topic.  I have finally decided to move forward with having Gastric Bypass surgery.  I know that I don't want to live the second half of my life like this.  I guess I am just looking for some educated advice on the process and the timelines...and the waiting! 
Looking at all of the before and after photos I have so much respect for the choice you have made.  
So tell me, what will all of these appointments look like? 
Thanks in advance, 
Michelle 
(deactivated member)
on 6/15/12 11:48 am - Guelph, Canada
 Wait times vary from center to center, and so do the order and amount of appointments.. sorry I know thats not much help. do you know what center you will be going through? maybe we can narrow things down that way.
michellealana
on 6/15/12 11:57 am
 It will be done in Ottawa.  Any information on this center would be great. 
Thanks 
cutekatie
on 6/15/12 12:14 pm
RNY on 05/16/12
I went through Ottawa so can help you out.

You go to a two hour orientation after being referred. Then about 9 to 12 months later you see the behaviourist once, dietician twice, education class which is three hours long then meet the surgeon.

After that your surgery is normally about a month later.

The wait from behavirioust dietician to surgeon is about 3 to 5 months.

There is a facebook page for people in Ottawa and there is a monthly starbucks meeting and a support meeting on Bronson.

Im sure others will add what I've missed.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

michellealana
on 6/15/12 12:25 pm
 Thank you for the information. How long did you have to wait from the time of the referral until the orientation? 
Were you happy with your surgery there? 

michellealana
on 6/15/12 12:28 pm
 sorry for all of the questions!  What types of things do the behaviorist, dietitian and those folks ask? I am not sure why but that part seems scary. I would be worried about saying the wrong thing! 
Karen M.
on 6/15/12 12:30 pm - Mississauga, Canada
In my opinion, it's best to go in and just be yourself.  Answer honestly. Then they'll get a true picture of who you are.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

michellealana
on 6/15/12 12:37 pm
 well obviously that would be what I would do but I was only looking for some advice so that I knew what I was facing.
I am sorry if that is not something that people ask about on here! I am just new!!
Thx :)
Karen M.
on 6/15/12 12:40 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Uhhh... my reply to you wasn't meant to be disrespectful. People often ask this and want suggestions on how to "trick" or make themselves look better to the professionals.  Soooooo...... yeah.  My answer stands I suppose.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

michellealana
on 6/15/12 12:48 pm
 gotcha, no harm done. I just really am "green" the process. I almost feel like I would say something wrong that would eliminate me from the process, but it sounds like not the case.
Thanks again :)
Most Active
Recent Topics