Chewing Food........

Tracey H.
on 6/26/12 9:30 am - Tecumseh, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
 I'm not rushing things; but, how long (if ever) before we don't have to chew everything to mush?
How many months out? I am just wondering if I will have to chew things until mush for the rest of my life, or will I get to a point where my chewing and eating will be somewhat like before the surgery (within reason of course).

Thanks!

Tracey

Diminishing Dawn
on 6/26/12 9:45 am - Windsor, Canada
The point is to KEEP the stoma small. It's supposed to be for life.  Chewing to a pulp is supposed to be a life long mandate. Realistically, I'm sure there's many of us that don't chew as much.

Sadly, I have never gotten stuck once!  I think my stoma must be supersized LOL

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

(deactivated member)
on 6/26/12 10:14 am - Straford, Canada
 Adding the saliva in lieu of gastric juices is important, so probably for a long time.  I had a wonderful supper of beer braised steak two nights ago, with a quarter of a baked potato and cooked carrots!  It was absolutley amazing!  And sat very well, digested well.  The next day at lunch I was in a rush, took a small chunk of steak and as I was wolfing it I thought, gee I wonder if I should be chewing this better...  three or four mintes later I was on the big ceramic telephone thinking CRAP, I knew better, and this tasted much better last night than it did coming up!  It was short lived but the little surgeon on my shoulder was whacking my tummy with a bat, saying stupid patient, stupic patient, I will teach you!  lol  maybe tmi, but it is related!  Regards, Ian 
Tracey H.
on 6/26/12 10:28 am - Tecumseh, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
 Thanks so much Dawn! I will be chewing chewing chewing for a long time, but it's sure nice to know that at some point, I might be able to not have to "think" about chewing so much that it's mush in my mouth - makes the food tasteless IMHO.

Ian - thanks for your story! Sorry that you had to go through that! I will keep that story in mind when I want to chew a bit less - I don't want to experience that "Stuck" feeling anytime soon!

Tracey

SandpaperSandy
on 6/26/12 10:57 am - Kitchener, Canada
for me, it has turned into a habit, eat slowly, don't drink with meals and chew more. my food is not mush, but definatley chewed more than ever.  sometimes, i count to 18 just to remind myself to chew more

I am actually more conscious about other people eating and how much they chew their food.  sometimes, I count when people are chewing - watch Lidia's Italy - she can chew a mouth full in about 3 bites !!!
JJ_
on 6/26/12 3:05 pm
Hi Tracey,

I find now at 6 months out, that I do not need to chew it to a pulp.  I do however need to eat slowly.  I try and concentrate on the conversation around me and let stuff digest a bit.  Then I take my next bite.

Most people have finished eating before me.  However, you do get used to it!

Judy
Tracey H.
on 6/27/12 1:13 am - Tecumseh, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
 Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!

Tracey

Most Active
Recent Topics