In panic mode re: plastics cost $$$

Nathalie_Can
on 6/30/12 12:27 pm
Don't know why this is just hitting me but man h man, everyone that got loose skin removed, how in the hell did you pay for it?  Not really asking since its too personal..lol...but starting to get real and scary.

I started to search even since my surgery but didn't want to deal with it so I can concentrate and have full attention On my RNY and the healing part...I'm really liking what I read on Dr. Sauceda but then hit a list of price and fell on my ass.  

You all know my starting weight and because of that, I'm thinking I'll need a bit more then the average bear unfortunately.  Thinking neck, arms, breast stomach, back, thighs and like omg, from what I'm reading, I'm looking at around 25k?

This is scary for me right now
Nathalie

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

StevesGal
on 6/30/12 12:41 pm - Hamilton, Canada
I haven't had anything done (I'm just 1 yr out) but I do know that OHIP will consider paying for the panni removal if you meet their requirements - being a history of medical issues (rashes, skin breakdown, medical intervention) track this with pics and Drs. visits, and the panni must hang a certain distance below your pevlic bone (7 inches comes to mind).  However, this surgery is not 'pretty' - it just removes the excess skin.  Most plastic surgeons will upgrade you to a proper tummy tuck for a fee.  As for the rest, yes, it's expensive, so you really need to think about what's important and what's not if you can't afford it. 

Me, personally, if I ever do get it done (I don't think I'll qualify for OHIP coverage since I carried most of my weight in my thighs), I will do my thighs first, then worry about belly and bat wings.

But don't worry about it now.  By the time we need it done, perhaps OHIP will expand its coverage to include general excess skin caused by gastric bypass related weight loss.  (Or maybe I'll just wake up one day and the Plastic Surgery fairies will have come in the night.)

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

Nathalie_Can
on 6/30/12 12:49 pm
Lol...send fairy dust my way...lol...but yeah i'm aware of OHIP for the panni and all requirements but from what I read, unless I'm reading wrong, even going to Dr. Sauceda, it would be cheaper then getting OHIP to pay for the panni and paying for the rest of the work needed here in Ontario...there's lots of opinions and comments but it's just hitting me and if I don't start thinking about it now, later might now be as good as I would need to start saving now...the work needed wouldn't been as far in the future as you might think....within a year for sure....how to save in a year's time...that's like paying off a car in 12 months...lol...ok, maybe I'm tired and blowing this whole thing out of proportion...lol

Bonnie ABC
on 6/30/12 7:17 pm - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
 Have you asked him for a quote yet?   I asked him about 6 months before I got to goal so I knew what I had to get together.   And as I said, if you combine procedures, it's cheaper.    Also he doesn't do a general, it's done by epidural and twilight, so he can keep you under longer and get more done.    

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
StevesGal
on 6/30/12 1:02 pm, edited 6/30/12 1:02 am - Hamilton, Canada
Don't forget, you don't have to do it all at once. Get the most annoying/concerning part(s) done first, the rest later. Many private clinics (esp. Plastics) have payment plans (ie loans), so check into that, too. It's easier to pay for that "car" over 5 years.

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

Manda M.
on 6/30/12 5:18 pm
I am getting my panni done and that's all. I too will need more than the over person done as well but I have accepted that I look like a deflated balloon and wear it with honor.
http://pouchgirlrny.blogspot.com  -- My thoughts and experience so far post RNY!!

JJ_
on 6/30/12 6:21 pm
I started a TFSA for future plastics last year before RNY.  I do not have all the money yet but feel hopeful that I have started.

Good luck

Judy
Bonnie ABC
on 6/30/12 7:14 pm - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
Then look at other options.   I went to Mexico to have mine done by a surgeon that specializes in bariatric patients.    Feel free to join his board on here to talk to other patients and see his work.    There is also a facebook group. He is very good at what he does, and the cost is very reasonable.   Many canadians have been to him, including me :)      Anyways, need any info, let me know.   
I see you have been on his site, remember if combining procedures, it's cheaper.  I had a neck lift, breast reduction and implants and a very large anchor cut for 11,400.   That included two sets of garments, a 600 airfare credit, two weeks in a Hampton Inn and my implants.  Daily nursing care and he comes daily to see you.  Pick up and delivery by his driver to and from the airport.  

www.obesityhelp.com/group/Dr_Sauceda_Patients/discussion/

Nathalie_Can
on 7/1/12 3:11 am
Yeah, I have been reading hundreds of pages on him and thinking that's how I want o go.  His packages seems amazing and after care even better.

I haven't asked for a quote yet, I will have to get that done cuz I thought I had to wait til I reached goal before asking him.  I'm about 3-4 months from goal.

In my opinion, of course he will be able to let me know exactly what I need but top of my head:
Neck lift
Arms
Breast lift
UBL
LBL
TT or Lipo
Inner thighs
And back but hoping the ubl and lbl will take care of that.

Beside the pricing, the only concern is the 2 week stay since it would be extremely difficult to do because of my work but I'll have to work it out that's all.

Nathalie

Bonnie ABC
on 7/1/12 5:35 am - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
 The two week stay will fly by like nothing.   I barely remember it took two weeks.   It's the aftercare, and he makes sure you're okay to leave.   At two weeks you will likely still have a drain or two, and maybe a few stitches left.   Basically not in pain, but I know you know that already from the boards.  I never really had any.   He looks after us well.   You will need to take a few more weeks off, unless you have a sit down job that is only part time.   You need time to heal.  The good thing about him, and the ability to do long surgeries, is that you only have to do this once.  Just once.  
Send him pics, he'll tell you what he can do for you.   Maybe once you know, it won't be so overwhelming.   I highly recommend him, his work, and his heart.    Are you on the facebook group?   You can see in real time how people are doing down there.   

Bonnie

Most Active
Recent Topics