Too much weight loss ????

Jason W.
on 7/6/12 8:22 pm - Canada
I feel like I am on a race to the bottom and there is no bottom. Don't get me wrong, I feel great, look great, but I may be in for weight loss below my target. Well below target.

I was never below 190's, even in high school when I was in the best shape. At this rate it looks like I may be.

70 lbs in 2 months when I only have 100 to lose is crazy. My wife is concerned. I think she misses the bigger me and worries i will be too skinny.

Does anyone else feel this way ? I know most women on this forum won't, but as a guy it is concerning.
Orientation Jan 8 2012   Group Nut/Surgery Class Jan 23 2012
1st Surgeon Meeting Feb 2 2012    Dr. Glazer Feb 9 2012
Social Worker Feb 23 2012    Psych/Nut/Nurse Mar 8 2012
2nd Surgeon Meeting Mar 28 2012    Optifast April 18 2012 
RNY Surgery May 9 2012
  Now if I could only grow an ass.....

Monica M.
on 7/6/12 9:38 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
try to make sure you're gettting enough protein, and that you're not losing muscle mass. Are you working out with weights or just doing cardio?

My brother in law has recently lost a bunch of weight, and looks scrawny. It's not an attractive look for a guy, but he's not doing any weight training, just cardio, running like a fiend. He also doesnt eat enough protein, imho.

I think your weight will even out when your body feels its right, as long as you keep doing the right things.

Jason W.
on 7/6/12 10:34 pm - Canada
I am doing weights with cardio. Was thinking once i reach my goal to cut back on cardio and stick to the weights.

I get about 120 g of protein in a day. I should be around 160 g when working out. I drink an extra protein shake on the work out days to try and compensate.

I might just be worried for nothing.
RNY Surgery May 9 2012

Monica M.
on 7/6/12 10:39 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
and its ok to be worried, Jason. It's a weird place to be, i'm sure! worrying about losing too much... best of luck.

Bonnie ABC
on 7/6/12 9:57 pm - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
 Follow the rules, and you'll be fine.   Your body will have a bounce back, so don't worry.   Enjoy life. 

Bonni
e

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
(deactivated member)
on 7/6/12 11:03 pm - Straford, Canada
 I am down 60 in 6 weeks, but I have had my gall bladder out and had a major flu earlier this week.  I am fitting into very old clothes I haven't fit into in over a decade (not stylish but don't care), and am looking forward to being the lightest I have ever been!  

What does your girlfriend think?  LOL  jk  My favorite toast is "To wives and girlfriends, may the never meet"!  As I was a teaser when she met me, my wife has climatized to my quips!

I'll be interested in your progress as you're just ahead of my rny surgery.  Take care, regards, Ian  
binaakwe
on 7/7/12 2:48 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 08/13/12
Jason:

I understand being worried.  You have lost a lot of weight in a short period of time but for WLS, at least in my reading, it is fast and unusual but not rare.  It sounds like you are doing the right things.  You are probably losing some muscle mass in spite of your best efforts but if you can keep your protein intake and your weights + cardio exercise up, you should gain it back.

I am sure you have gone over your information from Humber and are doing everything you are supposed to be doing.  I would certainly discuss it at your 3 month appointment.  Your weight loss WILL slow down.

Having been a "big" guy as an adult, I worry about being a "small" man after weightloss.  My wife, too, was attracted to me, as a large man and I wonder about being "less" when I am thinner.  Its a tough piece of work for my ego.  But she loves me and she wants me to be healthy and happy and I think most women find those attributes to be pretty sexy all by themselves.  If these kind of things of things were what you were referring to in your post, I think we should discuss them more openly because a) we would get feedback from the women on this forum and b) it might be helpful for other men. 

Best of luck.  Keep up the great work.

- Binaakwe

Referral:     Dec 12, 2011                                        RNY Surgery:         August 13, 2012
          HW:          394 lbs                                                 SW:                        334 lbs

Jason W.
on 7/7/12 5:34 am - Canada
I wonder about that too. Although my wife met me when I was this size now, so she is pleased with my progress.

Just it seems she is dropping hints that I should not lose too much weight as she doesn't like skinny, skinny guys.

But hey one good thing,  objects always look bigger on a smaller canvas............
RNY Surgery May 9 2012

350Ann180
on 7/7/12 6:08 am - St. Williams, Canada
VSG on 05/02/12
  Too funny!

I am glad you brought this up.  It certainly would be a different concern for men.  

It is unfortunate, but the world expects people (men and women) to be a certain way and we attach other attributes to the physical size of a person.  Women are supposed to be skinny and men are supposed to be large and muscle bound. - what a croc!

I am glad to see some men commenting with issues - my husband is embarking on the journey.  I know my issues - but I often wonder what things will come up for him.

Thank you....

Ann

poppy1
on 7/7/12 6:09 am - Toronto, Canada
Men always drop the weight fast . I have seen it many times . I had RNY and my hubby did also ..he had lost all his weight at 6 months out and quite frankly looked skeletal for a while . He did bounce back and has regained back to a healthier look . I didnt like him so skinny ..his bones sticking into me when he hugged me ..we had quite a wobble in our marriage ..identity crises ..what ever . We benefited from Marital conselling and are stronger than ever now . I never got to goal myself and am struggling with regain at the moment ..and hating it . It all does a number on self esteem ..even losing too much as you are finding out can be a problem in itself . We still wouldnt change having had WLS..best thing we ever did . we co lead the Peterborough support group together now and have made so many wonderful friends on this life journey . Good luck and dont worry about adding a few extra complex carbs to slow down the too fast weight loss.. maybe talk to your surgeon or dietitian too

Linda .
Most Active
Recent Topics