Bariatric Surgery with Large Hernia Repair

BubblyGrrl
on 7/11/12 12:18 pm
Has anyone had surgery where they repaired their hernia at the same time?  Anyone with a parasophageal hernia?  Any thoughts or advice?
JJ_
on 7/11/12 9:01 pm
Nope, no hernias for me.....just wanted to wish you good luck with it though!  What did the surgeon say about it?

Judy
twins4meplus1
on 7/11/12 11:30 pm - St Thomas, Canada
I had an umbilical hernia repair done at the same time as my RNY but that was in Michigan.
Do you have a surgeon yet? You will have to discuss that with them. Most of the time they will not do both at the same time.
I've have hernia repair done 3 times so far and it looks like I will now be doing a 4th soon.

Linda

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

PWA93
on 7/12/12 3:25 am - Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
 I had both done at the same time in Hamilton on Feb. 2nd.  My entire stomach was in my chest pushing on other organs and causing much pain.  They fixed that first then did the RNY and took about 4.5 hours to complete the surgers.

I was about 397 lbs on the day of the surgery and am down to about 311 lbs.  I am not allowed to do any lifting over 10 lbs until the 2013 I was warned but I walk and ride the bike allot for exercise.

If you have any questions, send me a note.

BubblyGrrl
on 7/15/12 6:00 am
Thanks for the post PWA93.

1/3 of my stomach is in my chest and twisted.  Yes I have pain and the "dumping" sydrome already too.  The hernia is causing anemia for me.  They are going to perform the RNY surgery as well for me in Toronto.  My surgeon tells me that his plan is to do both at the same time.

Not allowed to lift over 10lb for a year.  How are you finding that?

After the surgery, how has your energy level been.  Are there certain foods you can not tolerate?  Aside from your not being able to lift.  How was your recovery?

Thanks!
PWA93
on 7/15/12 6:04 am - Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
 I have had not problems with any part of the recovery.  Sure for the first month I was tired and needed naps in the afternoon but I was back to work in three weeks after the surgery.

As for food and eating.. no problems.  Anything I have tired has gone down no problem.  Since my surgery I have not vomitted once.  I eat pretty normal but in much smaller meals and jus****ch the fat and sugar.  

Three month blood work my zinc was low so I now take a pill for it a day.  

I am careful with my physical activity but I am back to golfing, riding bike and lots of walking.
BubblyGrrl
on 7/16/12 8:03 am
Was your diaphram able to recover after your surgery or is there weakening?  Did you have to make any modifications to your work to be able to go back to work so quickly?

What are you doing to keep your energy up or did it just come naturally as you healed and recovered?

Thanks for your help.  Apparently this is a rather rare hernia so, it's nice to be able to talk about the added demension of this issue in regards to the whole the proccess.

Cheers,
Kim

PWA93
on 7/16/12 9:45 am - Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
 I seemed able to recover without any issues.  I took no special meds but for about two weeks did take some pain meds as the area healed.  I work a desk job and sitting was a little sore but I would get up every 30 minutes or so for 5 minutes and I seemed to be able to get through the day.

I was golfing by the beginning of May but still don't do any weights or heavy lifting.  I guess I was just lucky to not have any issues.
BubblyGrrl
on 7/16/12 10:56 am
Thanks!  You have put my mind a little more at ease.  My surgeries are October 29th.  I have a desk job as well and detinately have the flexibility to get up and move around every 30 minutes if needed.  I was thinking I may be able to go back earlier since I have a desk job and don't require lifting anything heavier than a calculator.  I hope I am as fortunate as you with my recovery.

I doubt I will be able to golf as quickly as you though but, that's likely because I don't golf now.  (ha ha)

BubblyGrrl
on 7/15/12 6:04 am
BTW Congrats on your weight loss!  That's a fantastic accomplishment in such a short time.

Cheers,
Most Active
Recent Topics