Big stoopid Newbie Question that I absolutely have to ask

Lorieliz
on 7/12/12 12:15 am - Canada

I imagine there are a bunch of threads somewhere but I feel like having "fresh answers". Please bear with me oh Ye Most Esteemed vets and do a gurl a solid (sorry liquid people).

I can't get a handle on "can't get down", "trying to get all my food down",  "can't manage another bite".

Maybe I haven't read something I should have, but it is such a foreign concept. You can't physically chew and swallow? It gets stuck?

I am not being flip at all, I just don't understand not being able to eat.

Also, all of my life I have been very averse to vomiting and will turn myself inside out to not do it (it scares me and makes me feel like I can't breathe).

As mentioned previously, I have issues around feeling full and knowing when that is.

I would really appreciate an experienced explanation of what "having a hard time eating" means and some perspective on throwing up. For me it has always been a very violent experience, does it become easier to throw up?

My apologies for being a doof, I just want to be prepared.

Lori

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

Cheryl Denomy
on 7/12/12 12:28 am - Oshawa, Canada
Lori -- you're not a doof, darlin'.  What I've always meant by "can't get it down", "trying to get all my food down", and "can't manage another bite" is that I've run smack up against the size of my pouch, particularly in the early days (I'm more than 12 years out now from a Vertical Banded Gastroplasty, and such a dinosaur they don't even do that procedure anymore).

In the beginning, you just don't feel like eating because you're just not hungry.  It was a very long time before I learned to "remember" to eat -- otherwise, I could go not just for hours, but for days.  To this day I very rarely feel overly hungry, and most of the time when I do I'm more likely to be thirsty than hungry.

Also, when you do start eating, you can only manage a few bites or mouthfuls before you feel full.  You'll know -- I can't really explain it, but once you've experienced it, you will know for sure, because one or two more bites/mouthfuls and you will feel or be sick.

Nausea also happened in the early days, and can still happen to me to this day, if I don't chew something thoroughly, if it's very heavy and doughy (like bread), or if it's too dry (meat, pasta, etc.).  A word to the wise -- if you want a scrambled egg, cook it the old-fashioned way and not in the microwave.  It's the only time I truly wished for death after my surgery.

These things can still make me throw up.  You will throw up more in the beginning than you will as you go forward -- because you're still learning what you can and cannot tolerate.  I had, and still practice, a "three strikes and you're out" rule - I'll try something three times and if it still doesn't agree with me I won't eat it anymore.  I admit to making the occasional exception for a tiny bit of bread with peanut butter on it -- sometimes it's just worth it.

If you have issues around throwing up (I can't really imagine anyone likes it), I'd speak with your family doctor or your surgeon about it.  They may have suggestions to help you.
ToNewBeginnings
on 7/12/12 12:31 am
Hi Lori, It's been a while for me... After surgery for me the feeling of "hungry" wasn't there.
My guidelines were to take in 60 grams of protein a day and drink 8 cups of water. Doesn't seem so hard right? But when you are not hungry and get full quickly and have to space out your drinking it can be difficult.
You are consuming all day long.  After having two weeks of liquid optifast and then my program seemed like another several weeks of liquids/mush I almost wanted to gag looking at liquid drinks. It's like you feed yourself because you know you have to.

NorthernStar
on 7/12/12 12:37 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12
There are no stupid questions, you should ask anything you're wondering about.

I am 17 days out and have difficulty getting everything down. For me, it's not been a question of vomiting. It's more an issue of feeling full, being very uninterested in food/drink, sometimes feeling nauseous, but generally it's a head thing.

I have trouble getting everything in every day. The first few days, I actually told my mom and husband I wish I could be hooked up to an IV to stay hydrated, and not eat or drink anything at all. I am on to purees now and I sometimes wish I could just drink clear fluids.

I have never had this issue before in my life and it has freaked me out. I have never been on a diet before, gotten to the late afternoon and started freaking because I have 'so much left to eat.' It is really weird getting my head around it.

As for vomiting, I was exactly like you but I have thrown up so much in the last two and a half weeks since surgery it doesn't bother my anymore. I haven't thrown up once from food or drink, only from nausea after surgery and twice last week when I took some tylenol. It happens, some people more than others.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

CC1964
on 7/12/12 12:54 am - Lindsay, Canada

Hi Lori,

You are not a doof! The best thing you can do is ask questions. It helps deal with the "scary".

I am happy to share with you my experience of "can't get it down" and "food gets stuck". It really happened on two different levels for me.

First, food actually did feel like it was stuck kind of at the bottom of my throat just where my chest starts. It would feel like a lump. This usually happened if I was not chewing enough, was taking big bites or was eating too fast. It also happened early on if the food I was eating was too dry.

Second, there are some foods that I literally can't get down now. I have an aversion to them and the thought of eating them makes me sick. I used to love eggs and now they just sit in my mouth and I can hardly swallow. Wierd.

Keep asking your questions Lori.

Cathie

Cathie  

Surgery - January 11/12        
Kelshy
on 7/12/12 1:08 am - Cannifton, Canada
 Good questions... Keep asking what you need to know. 

Firstly as for "can't eat anymore" you are just full. Too full and you will vomit but the line between full enough and overfull is a fine line. Once crossed you will be very motivated to not cross it again!  I have actually had the fork halfway from my plate to my mouth and realized that I should stop NOW and put the fork back down. It really is bizarre at first but you get used too it and it becomes a good thing. 

As for vomitting I find it easier post surgery. It was scary at first because you are worried about your tiny new tummy and healing from surgery. I too was a violent puker before surgery but on the rare occasion I vomit now it's relatively quick and over with. And then I feel fine. 

Good luck!! :)

Chris

Feb 19 2010 Referral to Ottawa         Nov 24 2010 Orientation at TWH
Jan 25 2011 Nurse                               Feb 16 2011 Social Worker
March 10 2011 Psychiatrist                 April 8 2011 Surgeon
Surgery May 9 2011                             Bowel Obstruction/ internal Hernia Feb 13 2013  

cutekatie
on 7/12/12 1:08 am
RNY on 05/16/12
I am still playfully wondering if they did the surgery since I feel so good. Hehe

I have thrown up once and it was projectile vomit. Much different then before surgery but otherwise fine.

Im two months out and as others have said I just feel full with so little. I end up only eating protein with like one bite of vegetables.

In terms of food getting stuck the feeling of swallowing a hot dog whole before surgery is what happens after surgery if you don't chew your food well.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

Lorieliz
on 7/12/12 1:14 am - Canada
Thanks everyone, I love hearing about different experiences - that way I can order the right one.

LOL katie, I have never actually tried to swallow a whole hotdog (my husband would be all over this), but that is a great analogy! I have been practising the many chews thing.

Lori

aballett
on 7/12/12 1:49 am - Canada
 i agree with the need to chew and moisten foods. this has allowed me to enjoy my meals with little to no barfing.  once and a while, i got the foamies, which is a reaction that you can get that involves clear foam rising in your throat that needs to be barfed up. this doesn't  hurt, so don't worry.  as they tell you, you must eat all of your protein first, and then if you still have room, your veg then any carbs... which i barely ever get to... good luck and enjoy the ride! 

Lorieliz
on 7/12/12 1:18 am - Canada
 Can I just say I LOVE "picking" at food. If I can have a cheese string for a snack and be full!!!! I am happy.

Most Active
Recent Topics