What to eat before a hard workout?

girlgonewild123
on 7/13/12 11:29 am - Ottawa, Canada
 Hi Folks,  I have started going tombootcamp where the workout is fairly intense.  How many extra calories and what kind of calories should I load up on?

I am not sure if Imshould drink right beforehand or eat.

Any advice welcome!

Thanks,  Tracey from Ottawa

tango123
on 7/13/12 11:50 am
I try to eat some carbs(oatmeal) 30 mins prior or a protein shake before and definitely after. I have been doing cross fit since December.
The protein helps keep your muscle so you don't burn it while you work out.
girlgonewild123
on 7/13/12 11:56 am - Ottawa, Canada
okay.

How many extra calories?  Since I only eat around 800 a day how many extra calories should I add?  Should it be just carbs and protein?

thanks!!

Monica M.
on 7/13/12 1:42 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
how far out are you? this is a question for your dietitian (how many calories you need)

One of the best things to have after a workout is a banana and peanut butter, you get some carbs and protein, and potassium, all the things your body needs.

birdiegirl
on 7/13/12 10:20 pm

You really have to be careful with this one....and I agree with Monica to check with your nutrionist

You dont want to overeat in preparation for working out...however you certainly want to fuel yourself

I drink a protein shake prior to working out early in the morning.....I just have to watch that I dont eat a poor choice a few hours later when hunger hits....I usually have yogurt with fruit....banana and a very small amount of p/b....or more protein

I think alot depends on when you work out and what you have eaten during the day....since I work-out very early....the protein shake works for me with something light an hour or so after I have showered and driven to work

If you are working out at the end of the day....then I would examine my daily eats to ensure I have something light and protein/ a little carby half hour prior to work-out ( 2 crackers with cheese for example)

Just be careful it doesnt become a license to over eat carbs....

And - good for you for fitting exercise into your life....you will feel strong

Kimmer75
on 7/13/12 11:22 pm - London, Canada
 Definitely talk to your dietician, but this is a conversation I just had this past week with my trainer.  Now keep in mind I'm pre-op so this is where your dietician will come in handy.  Before an intense workout you should eat carbs, not bad carbs granted, but healthy ones. The explanation was that your body will burn that as fuel first rather than convert it to fats stores.  Then to follow an intense workout you should have protein, because it helps to "repair/heal" your muscles. 

Referal: November 2011 to Windsor Assessment Center, Orientation: February 9th, 2012, Request Transfer to Hamilton: March 23, 2012, Transfer madness for April, May, June, Abdominal Ultrasound: August 1, 2012, Dietician & SW: October 3, 2012,
Scope: November 8, 2012, Internist: November 14, 2012, Surgeon: November 27th, 2012

Surgery: April 10, 2013. VSG and gallbladder removed.  

Most Active
Recent Topics