its getting so close.soo many emotions.. Questioins for post ops?

MelissaB26
on 7/30/12 1:59 am - Canada
 So as of , August 1, I will be starting my 2 weeks of Opti, Then August 15th I will be having surgery, I'm so super excited for surgery but scared and nervous as well... I was out to dinner with some friends and was talking to a friend about surgery, well the date she brought piped up and said he had a friend pass away from this surgery, apparently they left "something" inside her.. so kinda freaked me out a little bit..lol
i just had a few questions I forgot to ask my surgeon.. and thought getting answers from someone who have already been through it..
how long till you started driving again? 
i know we arent allowed doing alot of work? do we have to wait the whole 3 weeks till we meet surgeon again?
What kinda things were you doing around your house afterwards? or how long did you wait?
and what about bedroom fun with the loved one??

Referral-February 3 2012      
Internist/RN/Dietician/SW APPT- July 17 2012   
Orientation-May 14th 2012      2nd Surgeon Appt.-July 19 2012
Meet the Surgeon-May 23 2012  Sleep Apnea Test-July 19 2012
Gastric Class-June 12 2012       Surgery Date-August 15 2012

(deactivated member)
on 7/30/12 2:27 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 04/24/12
I'm a stay at home mom, so going back to work wasn't something I had to worry about but I think most people wait 3 or 4 weeks to go back to work.

as far as driving I think a week is more than long enough but everyone is different.

I got out of the hospital on a thursday and was back to doing house clean, laundry etc but without any lifting the following week, I did find I was tired a lot and found that an afternoon nap helped the first couple weeks.

bedroom fun  I think that is different for everyone but once you feel comfortable I would say go for it  just take it easy. I waited a week or so and just a piece of advice you will love sex post-op it really is amazing how much easier it becomes once the weight starts coming off and how quickly you notice this fact.
coppertop84
on 7/30/12 2:28 am - Canada
Oh my goodness... it drives me NUTS when people would tell me their horror stories of people they know. How is that helping you... grrrrrr.... Just ignore them. Please. For your own sanity. a) surgery has come leaps and bounds since many many years ago and b) there are thousands of postive successful story for every 1 bad story. Your doctors and nurses have your best interest at heart, and you are going to ROCK this surgery!!!!
I don't meet my surgeon until 6 weeks post op, but you should have a mtg with the nurse/dietician about 3-4 weeks post op depending on your centre. And you can call them ANYTIME if you have any questions or something doesn't feel right. They are here to support you and make this successful. My fam dr is also quite knowledgeable about this surgery so I went to him a couple times post op cause it was quicker to get into him.
You can drive as soon as you have the energy. I didn't have a lot of energy till 1 week post op, but if the day after you feel ready go for it.
I did pretty much anything I did before, just not a lot of lifting/heavy work. You need to re-learn how to hydrate yourself post op so don't push yourself too much until you can get those 2 litres in.
Hope that helps a bit :) 

MelissaB26
on 7/30/12 2:39 am - Canada
Thanks Ladies!!!!
I like hearing from the people who have been there done that!!!
and yea I hate hearing all the horror stories too, it freaked me out at first hearing, then I thought to myself this process has been to easy and quick for me.. and I am 100% this is where I need to be its been a 3.5yr decision for me to finally want to do this surgery and I'm not looking back...
Now how do you think I would feel 3 days post op, would it be to soon to go to a street bbq or car show?? lol i know its bad..haha

Referral-February 3 2012      

(deactivated member)
on 7/30/12 2:58 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 04/24/12
I got home on a Thursday like I said and I went to a family funtion/bbq/bday party on the saturday, I just make sure to have my tylenol on hand for any pain, I made sure to rest, have all my vitamins and foods I could eat with me and I made sure to sip my water all day. you will know how you feel and if you feel up to it than go but make sure you have what you need on hand and if you aren't feeling it you can always go home.
NorthernStar
on 7/30/12 2:52 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12
Good luck with your upcoming Opti and surgery!

#1 - I can't believe someone would say something like that to you before surgery. Every surgery has risks and I doubt there is a single procedure that has never had a fatality. What a jerk for saying that to you. If you have any concerns day of surgery, you should still be able to ask your surgeon.

#2 - You must wait 7-10 days before driving again, due to the drugs in your system. I didn't drive until 3 weeks out, I just felt my reaction time was not that great and didn't want to risk it.

#3 - You can walk and do normal activities as tolerated. I was tidying up around the house almost immediately. It was a week before I could carry laundry downstairs though. They advise not to lift anything over 10 lbs for the first few weeks. By 3 weeks, I was doing regular housework and walking, but I would get tired quickly. Do what feels good and rest when you get tired.

#4 - We waited 2 weeks, but it felt weird until the third week. Now it's totally back to normal. Try and wait until you're out of the hospital though, or at least close the door!

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

sam1am
on 7/30/12 2:56 am
Nerves are normal!  Hang in there, it will all be worthwhile.

You can drive as soon as the painkillers are out of your system.  I didn't have any after leaving the the hospital so 2-3 days, although, I didn't want to/need to.

I was off work exactly one week.  I have a desk job, but there are a lot of stairs.  It was no problem, but if your job is physical anywhere from 2-6 weeks.

I lazed around for about a week, then slowly started adding dishes laundry etc., that didn't require any lifting.  I milked it for a while, lol, and got out of a lot of chores the first 3-4 weeks.

Sex as soon as you feel able.  No swinging from the chandeliers and if it hurts stop, otherwise just go easy!

All the best!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Monica M.
on 7/30/12 2:56 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
oh man, everyone has a story about so and so's friend of a friend who had something horrible happen to them during some surgery or another.

It's medical malpractice to "leave something" inside someone during surgery. I bet that the "TRUE" incidence of that happening is just next to zero times per million. They count everything they use in a surgery, every little piece of gauze, every instrument, etc. They don't close you up until they count everything, two or three times.

You can start driving 24 hours after your last narcotic.

You should really take it easy for AT LEAST 3 weeks, so yeah, until you meet the surgeon.

I'd do dishes or stuff like that, but no vacuuming or making the bed, or taking the unruly dog for a walk.

Bedroom fun.... hmmm. when you feel up to it. Remember, it does get your heart rate up (if you're doing it right) so you should be careful for.. probably about 3 weeks or so. When you get the clearance for light exercise.

MelissaB26
on 7/30/12 3:02 am - Canada
My job is very physical, so my dr has wrote a letter for up to 8 weeks off which I will be taking what I need for work..
Yea he freaked me out at first, and then I realized this really isnt different from other surgeries that way, i've had 2 c-sections and I heard they say its alot like that.. So I guess I'll be okay to going to a street bbq or car show if I'm just sitting around?? lol

Referral-February 3 2012      

Gabygee
on 7/30/12 5:11 am - Canada
Just to clarify the reason for your time off -

it's not about your incisions (like with your C-sections).

It's about your intestines.

They have been cut and trimmed and re-stitched.

You will experience 
  gas +++
  bloating +++
  diarrhea +++
  constipation +++
  discomfort +

You will not WANT to be folded in half in any seats (movie theatres, vehicles, etc) for awhile - ti's uncomfortable. You will feel like your innards are jiggling painfully as you walk. And this will last for some time. Mind you once it's over, life gets SO MUCH better than before, it's unbelievable.

So bear in mind that any of the negative comments about post-op experience have very little to do with the outside sutures. They have to do with the reconfiguration of your digestive tract - and bowels are finicky.

Most Active
Recent Topics