First days home

Nikkismom
on 8/13/12 3:58 pm - Toronto, Canada
Good evening folks,
On August 21 I expect to have an RNY. I am 59 years old and live alone, except for Reilly my cat. How important is it for me to have someone with me for the first few days when I get home?
Thanks for your input....
Carol

Referral April 2012, Surgery August 21, 2012
tbtilalaf
on 8/13/12 4:17 pm
I think it would be a good idea, as when I came home sore and no energy.  I find that the biggest problem is the no energy part, you will be glad someone is there to help you even with things that are little (like making your breakfast lunch and dinner), with no energy those little things are quite huge! Everyone is different, but I have heard of the no energy thing from other people.

Take care and good luck with your surgery!
Melissa!

Melissa!

Surgery was July 19 2012, and I am doing great!! Only one regret....wish I did this years ago!!!!

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CENTURY CLUB!

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/13/12 4:20 pm - Windsor, Canada
Personally I think it is VERY important.  This is major abdominal surgery and well, you just NEVER know.  You at least need to have someone checking in on you.  

I almost passed out getting out of the shower the first full day home and I had a very easy peasy recovery compared to most.  Some people feel like they've been hit by a mac truck. 

Always better safe than sorry. 

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

tbtilalaf
on 8/14/12 9:09 am
Hi Dawn! You are absolutly right about the shower, I was shaking getting out and I know someone who too almost passed out. It's the energy, after surgery and eating tiny amount of broth there is no carbs to burn for energy. And I felt like I got hit by a mac truc****pt on saying that to my husband, he took a week off work (although I was kept in the hospital for 6 days so the week he was off I wasn't even home until the Wednesday...)  to take care of me and I needed it! 

Melissa!

Melissa!

Surgery was July 19 2012, and I am doing great!! Only one regret....wish I did this years ago!!!!

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CENTURY CLUB!

hbrunet72
on 8/13/12 4:23 pm - Canada
I completely agree with Melissa and Dawn.  I don't know what I would have done without help the first few days at home.  I wasn't without pain until today, and I am officially 3 weeks post op today.  

Heather
Referral Received July 28, 2010. Orientation at Toronto Western Hospital April 20, 2011. Surgeon consult May 11, 2012. Pre-admission July 13, 2012. Surgery July 23, 2012, St. Mike's Hospital, Toronto. Officially on the bench!
Thank you Dr. Rotstein!

Janet13
on 8/13/12 4:31 pm - Toronto, Canada
I live alone with my kitty Ms. LucyPurr.. I was fine when I got home.. I do have friends who live near by but it it wasn't necessary.
"I used to be SnowWhite and then I drifted"
"words come easy behind the screen, when there is no interface-to-face to be seen"

Nikkismom
on 8/13/12 5:02 pm - Toronto, Canada
Thank you everyone! I think the common denominator is the cat!
I'm not very good at asking for help. My daughter is not supportive of me having this surgery but has reluctantly said she would stay here with me but that would make her miss work, something I would feel badly about. She is a bartender and would work late but then sleep late if she worked and stayed here.
Hmmm.... perhaps I can show the cat what to do. Not sure how she will feel about helping in the shower though.

Referral April 2012, Surgery August 21, 2012
sam1am
on 8/13/12 10:25 am, edited 8/13/12 10:38 am
Hehe, my cats were no help at all!  Its going depend on how mobile you are now, what your home is like and how well prepared you are.  If you are moderately active now (can walk on your own, no problem), you should be fine to get around when you get home.  Do you need to do stairs to access bedroom, kitchen  bathroom etc.?  I was able to do stairs right away, albeit slowwwwwllly.  Do you have a menu plan and easy access to prepare/ defrost, warm what is on it?  All of these things will factor into how much if any help you need when you got home.  No need to be a martyr, if you need help, ask for it.  If you can settle down for the night before she goes to work you should be fine as long as you have an emergency backup person to call (never heard of someone needing one, but better safe than sorry).  Is she able to PLAN to work, then call in if necessary?

All the best to you! 

ETA - I also think it depends on what kind of painkillers you are on.  I wasn't given any, so I was very clear-headed.  The anesthetic affects every one differently too and stays in some people's systems longer than others.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Hanneli xoxo
on 8/13/12 5:29 pm - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12
my 17 yr old son is opposite.. supports it but will probably not be helpful to me other than him making his own food and allowing me to rest/sleep as needed and have control of the television while I recover LOL... other than that. I dont expect him to prepare food for me or anything! Plus I am single.. I have friends who are supportive, though and will come over and spend some time with me

350Ann180
on 8/13/12 7:27 pm - St. Williams, Canada
VSG on 05/02/12
That would be helpful - even though she is sleeping during the day - she would be there if you needed someone.  I was able to do everything I needed to do myself with relatively no pain.  But, it is nice to have someone there just in case.  As for the evening when she works - you will probably be sleeping mostly - so it just might work.

Good luck - and stay an extra day in the hospital if you have to.  I had the choice of when to go home.

Ann

Most Active
Recent Topics