Liquid Calcium?

zombiesugar
on 8/16/12 2:23 pm
I am having surgery at the end of September and I am going out to buy all my vitamins and bits.

I have seen some liquid Calcium with Vitamin D at Cost****an't remember the brand) for a good price.

Anyone have any oppinions/experiences on the liquid calcium?

My alternate was the chewable caramel/chocolate Jameison tablets....
PaulaToronto
on 8/16/12 2:31 pm - Toronto, Canada
Wellesse is the brand name and it is my go to calcium.  Two tablespoons per day. I takea sip of water after as it is sweet for me. Very lite flavour but with the water chaser no problems.  I find it cheap, tasty and easy to take.  Some say it is chalky but with a bit of water no aftertaste. 

The chews have 20 calories per chew and 4 grams of carb and 1 gr of sugar and you need to take two a day.  I would rather have the 8 grams of carbs in food rather than a supplement. 

I did try the Bariatric Advantage chewables but too chalky and it required me to take too many.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

gardeninggal
on 8/16/12 6:50 pm - Midland, Canada
zombiesugar
on 8/16/12 2:35 pm
Thanks for the info! I didn't even look at the carbs and sugars on the chewable tablets!

Definitely agree - I'd rather have the carbs in food than a suppliment too!

Thanks again!!
(deactivated member)
on 8/16/12 2:42 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
The Jamieson chews are not citrate so they are out.  The Wellesse is the one at Costco but you have to make sure you never take more than 500 mg at a time otherwise your body can't absorb it.  If i remember correctly 1 tbsp is the dosage but it is 1000 mg.  My NUT told me to take 1/2 the dose at a time since the other 500 mg is just wasted.
zombiesugar
on 8/16/12 2:48 pm
I remember in my nutrition class they said that as well. The body can't absorb more than 500 - 600 mg of Calcium at a time and to separate the dose by at least two hours.
JJ_
on 8/16/12 5:06 pm
I was given the liquid calcium in the hospital.  It made me nauseated.  I hope it doesn`t have the same effect on you.

Judy
Patm
on 8/16/12 5:33 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
I found it was findeat first but I was glad to switch to tablets. The taste after a while gets gross. Anyone going to Toronto East general. Their pharmacy has the calcium with vit D by Jamieson on sale. Fine to take after the liquid phase.
Understand that at the phase you are at you will worry about everything. The liquid pahse is short and then you move on

ShallowGirl
on 8/16/12 7:39 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
I drink milk as my liquid calcium.

I did not have trouble tolerating calcium pills after surgery, but some people cut them down.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

aprilflowers
on 8/17/12 4:07 am - Canada
RNY on 01/06/12

My centre recommended the calcium chews. But I found them too sweet and couldn't handle them post-op. So i picked up liquid calcium. It was grape flavoured but the consistency and sweetness made me extremely nauseous. Every muscle in my body was trying to reject it as I took it.

So I used a pill crusher to crush up calcium tablets and mixed it in with diluted juice. That was the only way I could handle it.

Most Active
Recent Topics