5 weeks out and still havent learned

the44plan
on 8/20/12 10:27 am - Lake Huron
RNY on 07/13/12
I have terrible pain in my stomach and just finished puking some foamie stuff... actually might need to puke again before I finish this.  :( 
I have eaten about 1 oz of soft chicken breast which I chewed and pulverized into mush.  My stomach has eaten chicken a few times and it really enjoys it without any problems.  I will also tell you that I was drinking water about 15 min before I started to eat.  (approx 1/4 cup). 
I guess it could be a couple reasons why:  a) I ate my chicken too fast or b) I didnt wait long enough between the water and chicken.

My question is; Does this eventually go away?  Can I ever eat and drink at the same time?  I know my stomach is too small to do this together, but just wondering if the sick/hurt feeling goes away if I accidently combine these actions and just getting the full feeling?   I know this is my fault and I try to mindfully be aware of everything thing I do.   I dont play on the computer, or talk on the phone, and on the weekend I had a hard time eating with my company because I wasnt concentrating.   

Referral: Oct 2011   Surgery Date: HRRH July 13th (Friday) 2012        
Tammie

Allaryanna
on 8/20/12 10:32 am - Belleville, Canada
RNY on 02/09/12
 My guess would be eating too fast.

Learned that lesson over and over and over again the first few months.  I have not had the foamies in months but expect I will forget and cause myself that discomfort again at some point.

And my understanding is no never again will we be able to eat and drink at the same time.

Di

Referral: January 2010     Orientation: Dec 2010      1st Appt's : April 26/2011       Surgery : Feb 9 / 2012      

Starting Weight:  265   Surgeons Goal : 187lbs    Personal Goal: 150lbs 

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/20/12 10:33 am - Windsor, Canada
I would venture too fast as well.

No you are NEVER supposed to eat and drink at the same time. This is supposed to be this way for the rest of your life.  Do people do it, Yes....but it is not a good thing. You'll get hungrier faster as things go through your pouch too fast.

Eventually things won't hurt.  You'll get the hang of it eventually and your pouch will be more accepting....

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

the44plan
on 8/20/12 10:39 am - Lake Huron
RNY on 07/13/12
Thanks ladies!  Eventually the light bulb will go on and my head and pouch will be on the same page. 
Tammie

tbtilalaf
on 8/20/12 12:30 pm
Yes I am one month out and i have to wait around 30 -45 min. before I drink anything.  And it's hard to get fluids in when you have to wait before you can drink again...That is my problem.  Wait longer between eating and drinking it is worth the wait to not feel sick. Oh and don't eat fast, i learned my lesson, all of a sudden I get hot flashes and feel like crap for about 1/2 an hour....yuck!

And like they told me:  CHEW CHEW CHEW!!!

Melissa!

Melissa!

Surgery was July 19 2012, and I am doing great!! Only one regret....wish I did this years ago!!!!

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CENTURY CLUB!

(deactivated member)
on 8/20/12 1:32 pm - Straford, Canada
 Yeah the whole waiting thing, chewing chewing chewing, small bites, waiting and so on is interesting.  Try and imagine how many people would stay on such a program without surgical alterations...  what would you guess the success ratio would be?  hahahahaha!  Yup!  
the44plan
on 8/20/12 2:23 pm, edited 8/19/12 7:23 pm - Lake Huron
RNY on 07/13/12
your right.. without this tool NO-ONE (99%) could do this thats for sure. Most of all me.. thats why this surgery is the best thing I could have done for myself
Tammie

(deactivated member)
on 8/20/12 2:30 pm - Straford, Canada
 me too!  
SandpaperSandy
on 8/20/12 3:41 pm - Kitchener, Canada
I was told you could technically drink 1 minute  before you eat because liquid falls through the opening.  it is the drinking during and after food consumption that you need to be aware about. I follow the rules of 1/2 hour before and after.  

everything you do from surgery on is a learning process, I don't think you ever stop learning about this tool and how you body works and how it reacts to what has changed.  

I am 18 months out and still learning and yes, the odd time, my stomach reacts and I get the pukes, or a sugar dump.   it is just my new life, 110 pounds thinner and my guts re arranged.    
ybfat
on 8/20/12 5:41 pm - Canada
Oh, and you will do it over and over and over and still OVER again. I am two plus months out and I STILL sometimes eat too fast and know immediately that I did a bad thing!! For all of us, I hope we learn soon!! Oh, and the good news, the pain has gone away, now I just get this slimy thick saliva and then puke or, foamie stuff.  We can and we will do this!!

Gook luck.
Most Active
Recent Topics