Cimplications - Graphic

cheeky_monkey
on 8/31/12 7:27 am - Ottawa ON, Canada
I had my surgery on the 27. It was uneventful and incisions are healing well. Tons of pain still on the left side there. Still taking the pain meds.
I was to go home on the 29 but I started passing alot of blood (filled the toilet 4X) and my hemoglobin dropped from 116 to 91. So the kept me in.  By 3 pm yesterday my hemoglobin went up to 93 so they figured I'm okay to go home. 

At 6:30 pm last night I had another episode, not huge, but enough to start keeping notes.  Nothing since.  I'm feeling okay, really tired and really painful to walk, get up or go to lie down.

So how long does the
pain last on the left side? It's pretty substancial. 

Regardless....not regretting this ONE BIT!!!

Referral:  April 2011 <> OrientationOttawa July 15, 2011  <> Nurse:  April 16, 2012 <> Abdominal Ultrasound:  May 2, 2012 <> Behaviourist/Dietitian:  May 8, 2012 <> Education Class: July 11, 2012 <> Meet the Surgeon: July 31, 2012 <> Surgery Date: August 27, 2012

sasygal
on 8/31/12 9:33 am - Canada
 Poor you....but each day should get a little better.  Keep in mind this is a major surgery for your body....

Have you had an more recent episodes of substantial bleeding, if so, maybe call your doctors office and ask their advice.  Keep n mind with this being the long weekend youmay need a back up plan such as going to your emerg dept if you are concerned...

Rest a lot, try to hold a pillow  against your stomach if you need to cough, or even laugh.....

Other than that I dn't have any advice since m surgery was so long ago, but don't be afraid to ask questions or make a phone call if you are n any doubt.

JJ_
on 8/31/12 9:46 am
Oh wow, wow, wow.

So you are taking the hydromorphone every 4 hours and still finding it to be really painful?  Have you started to pass gas?

I didn't have a lot of pain, more discomfort.  I did walk mindfully and getting in and out of bed took time.  I would check into whether you could increase any pain medication.  Call Aspen.

Judy
Mary A.
on 8/31/12 9:47 am

it totally depend son teh individual, but they should have prescribed some pain medications that you could take at home..the next couple of weeks are all about rest, taking in fluids and increasing that and as much walking avery hour as you possibly can..I usually sat for 20 minutes walked for 8-10..and increased that

just keep pillows nearby in case you need to cough~!

it does get better, it takes time and each day is usually a step to improvement.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Patm
on 8/31/12 10:30 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
If you are bleeding agin go to the doctor! Your body is ajusting so you will be tired but the blood loss could make it worse.

ambi bambi
on 8/31/12 11:36 am - Canada
RNY on 08/03/12
When I had surgery my rommate had those episodes. They didn't let her leave until they had stopped, which yours had. If they are happening again do at least call the WMC and let them know - better safe then sorry.

Referral: 9 May 2011                 Info OWC : 22 July 2011           Nurse: 16 April 2012    
Nut/Behaviour: 14 May 2012     Scope : June 29 2
012               UltraSound: 26 April 2012
Education Class: 27 June 2012   Meet the Surgeon: 10 July 2012
Surgery Date:
3 Aug 2012 with Dr. Raiche

PatXYZ
on 8/31/12 4:10 pm
If you are passing blood, I would go back to the hospital. I can't believe they released you while you were still passing blood.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Leslie W.
on 8/31/12 4:14 pm - Cobourg, Canada
Sorry to hear about your complications. I had bad pain on left for about 3 weeks. Right at the stab site on my left.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Diana B.
on 8/31/12 5:30 pm
RNY on 07/20/12
I had the same problem post-op. It started about 24 hours after surgery and went on for about 18 hours. My hemoglobin was in the 80's and I almost fainted twice. I ended up having a blood transfusion, which made a world of difference. It was explained to me that sometimes a staple might nick a blood vessel and usually stops bleeding on its own. In my case, it was black (digested) blood, but there was no doubt it was blood. 

As for the pain, the left sided pain was awful. I suffered for about 3 weeks, couldn't get comfortable sleeping and often shrieked if I got up and accidentally strained my left side. I normally have a pretty high tolerance for pain, but in this case, I was taking pain pills pretty much every 4 hours.

It gets much better so hang in there! I am feeling 100% better - except I still get tired easily. I don't regret it for a minute. Just get lots of rest and look after yourself. You'll feel better soon!
Referral Sent to Ottawa WMC December 16th 2010
Info Session/First Appointment March 25th 2011
Surgical Assessment January 3rd 2012
Dietitian and Behaviourist February 15th 2012
Abdominal Ultrasound May 8 2012
Surgical Education Class June 13 2012
Surgeon Appointment June 28 2012
SURGERY!!!!! July 20 2012

Blu-Diva
on 8/31/12 6:25 pm - Hamilton, Canada
 whishing you well 

Surgery date May 7 / 2012
Highest 312 lbs - Pre Op 297lbs - now 199 lbs
I know now that my location was never my destination.

Blu-Diva      

Most Active
Recent Topics