Is drinking with a straw that bad?

NorthernStar
on 8/31/12 5:40 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12
I know we're told to avoid drinking from a straw because we can take in extra air, but is it really that bad? 

I'd like to drink my protein shake in a lidded cup (like I did with Optifast) because I really think it would help me get it down. I'm having a difficult time with protein and I think a straw and lid on my cup would make a huge difference.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

hobbithands
on 8/31/12 6:41 pm - Brussels, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
 I always drink from a straw, apparently I am a strange drinker and no straw makes me get the worse gas.

sasygal
on 8/31/12 6:53 pm - Canada
 Ummm I drink my smoothies through a straw....

I guess they don't  want u gulping in too much air while you drink as the pain  woud not be nice.

PatXYZ
on 8/31/12 8:55 pm, edited 8/31/12 1:56 am
If it doesn't cause you any discomfort, then it's fine. You can't cause 'damage' or anything with a straw.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
girlgonewild123
on 8/31/12 9:26 pm - Ottawa, Canada
 I drank with a straw.  it didn't give me gas pain but I was a bit burpy and gurgly.
ShallowGirl
on 9/1/12 2:48 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

Oh I thought you said "Burpy & Giggly``  

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Aca-Verity
on 9/1/12 1:07 am - Canada
VSG on 06/06/12
Started drinking with straw 3 months post op.....no problems!

NorthernStar
on 9/1/12 4:11 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12
Good to know, I'll give it a try. I suppose if it makes me uncomfortable I can just stop but I think it will help get my protein shakes down.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

sam1am
on 9/1/12 6:10 am
Some centres allow them, some don't, *sigh*  I don't like straws, but would use one if I did.  I don't know where they get some of these rules!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

JJ_
on 9/1/12 5:54 pm
I was told that using straws cause you to swallow air.  If I swallow air, I burp immediately, I do not have any discomfort. 

Judy
Most Active
Recent Topics