REPOST: The CRAZY TransCanada Challenge (Rules)

msheavyhearted
on 9/19/12 2:11 am - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12

I've taken everyone's feedback into consideration and this is what I've decided. (Please feel free to offer more suggestions.)

* The route I've chosen (thanks to GabyGee) is the TransCanada Trail. There is a great website with an interactive map so you can track your progress.

* As the length of the trail is 23,000 Km I feel a team approach would be best. I have 23 names so far so I've decided three teams would work best. That works out to be about 8 Km/day/person. As more people join in they will be added to one of the three existing teams to aid in reaching our goal of completing 23,000 Km in one year.

* Anyone can join in at any time. If someone neglects to post results for more than three weeks in a row (without prior notification) they will be removed from the challenge. If they wish to rejoin, they most certainly can but may possibly be assigned to a different team - depending on which team is in need of members.

* I think challenges are more fun when there are rewards involved. I will be holding several mini challenges/goals throughout the year with prizes. I, of course, will be ineligible to win these prizes but will be delighted to dole out little incentives.

* There are no fees or dues to be a part of this challenge!

* Another fun thing to do would be, at some or several points through the year, to organize a group walk on the actual TransCanada Trail.

* Please consider posting pics of your activities so others can see how much fun we're having and, hopefully, get more people to join in.

* As stated in the first post, any activity that propels you forward counts toward your tally. These include, but aren't limited to: walking, running, rowing, canoeing, kayaking, swimming, treadmill, stair climbing, roller blading, roller skating, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, biking, etc. Please feel free to add others I may have forgotten. Activity of all kinds are healthy but we will NOT be giving distance credit for things like dance classes, weight training, judo, curling... you get the drift. Don't stop doing them. They're still doing your body good.

* As certain activities (ex:biking) allow us to cover greater distances in shorter periods of time, I will try to make the teams as evenly weighted (LOL) as possible. Please indicate beside your name your main activity and how much you feel you can comfortably commit to per week. For example, my main activity is walking and I do between 9 and 10 Km/day. I also do a bit of swimming but that only adds up to a few Km/week. I will commit to completing 50 Km/week so I have a little cushion for lazy days.

* All teams need names. I will leave it up to each team to come up with a fun name. Discuss amongst yourselves.

*The challenge will begin on October 1st and will run until September 30, 2013 (or end on December 12, 2012 if we listen to the Mayan calendar.)

* I will post weekly updates and would appreciate it if all members could get their weekly tallies to me by Sunday evening so I can post the results on Mondays. If you're late submitting, just hold on to the numbers and we'll add it to the following weeks' tally.

Signed up for the challenge:

MsHeavyHearted: 50 Km/wk (walking)
Monica M: 25 Km/wk (walking/running)
Penny85
BTrue2U: 50 Km/wk (biking/walking)
Lizzie54
Brockliebeans
Melissa_Ann: 50 Km/wk (walking/swimming/biking)
ShallowGirl: 10 Km/wk (walking/biking)
Kathy Fisher: 50 Km/wk (walking/biking/stepper)
DonnaB1952
: 10 Km/wk (walking)
NiceEyes72
NanaLiz: 50 Km/wk (walking)
GabyGee
TM-DoingItForMe: 25 Km/wk (walking)
KellyBelly333
Beth1970: 5 Km/wk (walking)
PatM: 25 Km/wk (biking/walking/swimming)

Cuter_With_Curves: 30 Km/wk (walking/biking/swimming)
Laurie C.: 25 Km/wk (walking)
YBFat
Megan M.: 25 Km/wk (walking)
2Renee
Ian S.: 50 Km/Wk (Walking/Running)
BlulzGal: 50 Km/wk (walk/bike/row)
MissGlitter: 10 Km/wk (walking)
HeatherGetBetter: 15 Km/wk (walk/run/kayak)
Avivapa: 30 Km/wk (walking?)
Manda M.: 25 Km/wk (walking?)
Karen M.: ? Km/wk (walking)
LindyLoou58: 20 Km/wk (walking)
Gherry's New Beginning: 50 Km/wk (walking/running)
350Ann180: 20 Km/wk (walking/biking)

Thanks for your participation!!!

Want to join the CRAZY TransCanada Challenge?? Just message me. Here's a link to the rules: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4570778/REPOST-The-CRAZY-TransCanada-Challenge-Rules/

Karen M.
on 9/19/12 3:59 am, edited 9/18/12 10:28 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Okay, so e-biking is out, which I mostly get, but hey, she's at least making an effort.

I would like to know if the stress of crazy people on the bus counts?

Kidding.

ETA: Oh! And I wanted to thank you for doing this - I never sign up for "physical-type-stuff" but this is completely doable. I'm already calculating my daily walks. One small question - are we allowed, just askin', if we wear a pedometre, to track everything? Or just purposed movement.

:)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

msheavyhearted
on 9/19/12 1:29 pm - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
I'm absolutely ok with pedometers. I just got a FitBit myself so I'll be incorporating it once I figure it out. I hope Shallowgal continues using her ebike. It sounds very interesting and very healthy. I'll have to give one of those a try if I ever get a chance.

Stress related calorie burns cannot be counted though I wish they could. Just being in the presence of some people make me positively whither away!

... and you are VERY welcome. I'm thrilled that you've decided to join in!!
Want to join the CRAZY TransCanada Challenge?? Just message me. Here's a link to the rules: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4570778/REPOST-The-CRAZY-TransCanada-Challenge-Rules/

Lizzie54
on 9/19/12 4:49 am - Canada
Hi,

For me it will be 10K walking

Liz
Liz   

Monica M.
on 9/19/12 5:12 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
mmh, you seriously do 50k a week???? Holy crow!

msheavyhearted
on 9/19/12 1:35 pm - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
Not to toot my own horn or anything but *cough*cough* I actually do about 70 km of walking a week. I do 5K before work and another 5K sometime in the evening. I do miss now and then but it's rare. I especially love my early morning walk. I get in some much needed thinking time.

I throw in some swimming and hiking here and there, too. I guess I've become one of those "active" people I never understood pre-WLS. The weight loss has been nice and steady and I have developed quite a nice bum - if I do say so myself.

muchmore2
on 10/24/12 8:55 pm
 I look forward to being physically able to do any of this.  I'm tellin ya' ya'll are inspiriing and I feel lazy.  LOL...I walk my dog every single day but thats probably less then 3/4 of a mile but physically its all I can do right now and I know that will change.  Reading these messages really makes me want to get this journey started more and more so that I can have VICTORIES like this....I know, my day is coming too 

Robin 

Taking Back MY Life

msheavyhearted
on 10/24/12 9:15 pm - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
 Well, Robin, join in the fun!!

I'm a reformed couch potato. The active me didn't develop overnight. It's taken hard work and dedication.

You're already ahead of the game by being active each and every day. Why don't you sign up and watch how much you evolve over the next year? All you need to commit to is as little as 1 km/week to start. Sounds like you're already WAY past that! I'm certain a team would be thrilled to welcome you.

(BTW, even if you don't realize it, your journey has already started. Having the surgery is one tiny step along the way.  )

Heathergetbetter
on 9/19/12 5:24 am - Trenton, ON, Canada
RNY on 05/02/12
Looks fantastic! Thanks for organizing.
How would you like the numbers sent. It would probably be too many messages, but perhaps once a week a thread could be started.... post your week X Transcanada challenge Numbers here....? Then the following week a new thread....

Thanks again, looking forward to the motivation this will provide. I'm hoping to get my bike tire unbent this weekend so I might be able to cycle a bit this fall. (I'm a bit leery after going over the handle bars in said accident that caused the tire to be bent...but you know, get back on the horse and all....lol)

Dr Ref: Sept 9th '10, Dr. Follow up (file lost in bulk transfer) Aug '11Pre-surg Asmt Ottawa: Dec 9th '11File Transf to HRH -another bulk transf Bypass class: Feb 2 '12 Surgeon Consult: Feb 8 '12    Dietician: Feb 8 '12   Soc Wrkr: Feb 8 '12 Nurse: Feb 8 '12 Internist: Mar 9 '12  Surgeon: Apr 4 '12 Opti:Apr 18 '12 SURGERY: May 2 '12    
msheavyhearted
on 9/19/12 1:37 pm - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
Your idea is great. I'll make sure to start a thread each Saturday morning so people can have a couple of days to get their numbers in. I'll post the results each Monday morning,

Be careful on your bike... hope you wear a helmet!

Most Active
Recent Topics