10 Months into my new life

HaroldC
on 10/19/12 12:26 am - Canada
Tomorrow will be 10 months since Doctor Penner and the team at TWH performed my RNY and gave me and my family the gift of a new life. Like most people on the OH website my battle with weight and genetics has been life long. After trying just about every fad diet, seeing 4  different nutritionists and an exercise regiments that consisted of 6 days a week for more than 12 years
RNY way my answer.

It is incredible what this procedure makes possible. I remember Dr. Penner explaining to me just before my surgery that that my body was going to go through an unexplainable metaphysical change....what an understatement!!!!

I am writing this for all the curious, the lurkers and those on the fence about the benefits of RNY. I know the process is long and the appointments are plenty, but it is 100% worth it! I see it now. Each appointment has a purpose to prepare us for the life ahead. I am so thankful for the program, the Bariatric Team and the Ontario government for the funding for this program.

I am the healthiest I have ever been in my life. Down over 100 pounds, no more weight related issues like diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.  I am a lucky one. Before my RNY journey I had many of the lifestyle tools already in bedded into my everyday routine like exercise and eating right, but now, food and eating does not dictate my days and what I can or can not do.

Since my surgery, just 10 months ago, I have rappelled down Toronto's city hall,  climbed the ropes course at Blue Mountain and become a runner. (the picture below is me crossing the finish line last week at the Scotia Bank 5k in 28 minutes) These are things I would have never attempted doing  before my surgery.

After surgery the journey does not end. There are tough days ahead, but with time it gets easier. You will learn how to manage your new body and lifestyle. It takes courage to do what we do, strength to see it through and passion for life to remain committed.

For anyone on the fence, scared or with questions, I want to give back! Feel free to message me anytime to talk about RNY.

Have a great weekend.
Harold

SW 291  GW 199.9 CW 180 Surgery: TWH Dr. Penner Dec 20 2011
Celebrating life and opportunities for new beginings!!!

Hanneli xoxo
on 10/19/12 12:38 am - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12
that is awesome and inspiring, Harold :) Thanks for posting!

HaroldC
on 10/19/12 1:09 am - Canada
Good luck to you! How is the Optifats going. Keep the end in sight!
Harold

SW 291  GW 199.9 CW 180 Surgery: TWH Dr. Penner Dec 20 2011
Celebrating life and opportunities for new beginings!!!

Hanneli xoxo
on 10/19/12 1:30 am - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12
It is .. going. i was hungry yesterday (day 3) today not as bad but got the 'optitrots' .. took somemetumicil.. tht should help. 11 sleeps till my turn!

Marls
on 10/19/12 1:13 am - Canada
What a beautiful message.  Very poignant!  That picture speakes volumes!!

Keep it up.
Nathalie_Can
on 10/19/12 1:42 am
wow....very inspirational.....well done!!

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

sam1am
on 10/19/12 12:19 pm
Sorry to hijack, but hey girl I just noticed you are at goal, big congratz!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Monica9811
on 10/19/12 1:47 am - Peterborough, Canada
Thanks for sharing!  You are amazing.  Love your outlook and attitude.  Makes me realize more and more every day why I am going to have this surgery done!!

Monica M.
on 10/19/12 1:47 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
who would have ever thought this would happen, right? you're amazing.

Beth1970
on 10/19/12 1:51 am - Canada
RNY on 10/11/12
Thank you for your very inspiring post. Congratulations on all your success!

Most Active
Recent Topics