I'm failing WLS.......

Lovinglady356
on 11/16/12 3:54 am - Canada

I believe I have failed my WLS thus far. I had surgery on oct.29/12. My pre-optifast wt was 377. My pre-surgery wt was 356. I'm three weeks out and am only 342. I don't get it. I'm following the diet to the best of my ability. I take my vitamins  and have been walking. I finally found a protien shake that i like (Premier from costco). I am having trouble with the puree stage.Mashed potatoes are my enemy. Baby food is vile. I get pain when swallowing sometimes...I think I drink and eat too fast sometimes. My water intake is at 50%. The only difference is in my face and my bra size. Am I being impatient? Too hard on myself? Is this the normal rate of the weight loss? I'm really feeling down in the dumps....I really don't want to fail at this too.Any tips?

Antionette

irol770
on 11/16/12 4:06 am - Thunder Bay, Canada

You have lost 14 lbs in 3 weeks!  That is a LOT.  I know that people who are a bit heavier will tend to lose weight a bit faster, but when I went for my 6 week follow up appt I had lost 25 lbs.  I was sure I should have lost more and that I would be the only person that failed at this surgery.  My doctor assured me that the normal weight loss at 6 weeks was between 20 to 30 lbs and therefore I was completely on target. My weight loss ebbed and flowed...some months I lost more than other months when I seemed to lose next to nothing.  At my one year appt I had lost 100 lbs and I went on to lose a total of 120 by about 14 or 16 months post op.  I started at 250 on my surgery date.

Just keep doing what you're doing.  Everyone kept telling me the weight would just "fall off" and I was a little disappointed that they did that, because it didn't fall off.  It came off in bits and chunks but it did come off.  And looking back now it has only bee 2.5 years since my surgery and I have lost 120 lbs, had surgery to lift my breasts and also had a tummy tuck, have gone from a size 24ish to about a 6  in pants and a medium in tops. 

It will happen!  Just keep positive, follow your doctor's advice and you'll get there.

Glitter Text Generator

Laura H.
on 11/16/12 4:47 am - Canada

I have not been losing weight as fast as some.  I only lose a pound or 2 a week if that.  However, I look at it that it is better for my body to lose slower and for my skin.  I was upset at first but as my father in law says 'slow and steady wins the race.'   Don't worry, you are doing great!

Laura H.

Hockeymom73
on 11/16/12 4:57 am
RNY on 11/21/12

3 weeks out eh?  Hmm could it the dreaded three week stall that most people have experienced. 

I'm not a doctor, but I play one on tv.  (Just kidding)

If you are following the rules, then the pounds will follow! 

Good luck!

Sophia

HW: 400.5 CW: 251.0 GW: 199

Lovinglady356
on 11/16/12 4:58 am - Canada

Oh Lori and Laura,

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. Like Lori, I was told the weight would just "fall off" and my hopes were squashed. I a guess like anything, patience is what is needed. And Lori, the slower it comes off, the less loose skin I will have to fight with...hummm...good point hun.  

Thanks ladies!

gimpymom
on 11/16/12 5:48 am

I am losing my weight slowly and am loving it- had a stall for 3-4 weeks at about 3 weeks out- but if you are working the program ie: eating and drinking what you should- the weight WILL come off--so just chill and let the magic work in it''s own time

think of it this way - you have lost 35 pounds in --what 5-6 weeks (depending on how long.you were on opti) when have you ever lost 35 pounds in 6 weeks??? you are doing great so just keep on keeping on!!

-Johanna

referral  Nov 23, 2011 orientation Dec 16   PATT Aug 9 OR DATE Aug. 20, 2012 ACHIEVED CLINIC GOAL Feb. 2013

ShallowGirl
on 11/16/12 6:05 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

Weight doesn't fall off.    

You are too soon out from surgery to be freaking out.  Just relax, have faith, do the right things, and don't weigh yourself every day.

Work on doing something like exercising (something moderate and easy, like walking) that you didn't do before, and focus your "goal related energy" on that.  

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

tbtilalaf
on 11/16/12 6:13 am

Mine has been coming off but not falling, I will be the same weight for a while and then I drop about 3 pounds in a couple of days, I had a stall that lasted about 3 weeks, weight fill go up and down during the day about 2 pounds this is normal.  You could be retaining water and/or your body is thinking "what did you do to me!" and is holding on to everything you give it!  Your vitamin "storage" lasts for about 3 months that is why it takes about that long for hair to start falling out...I am in that stage now:(  Just don't eat and drink at the same time NOT GOOD!  That will wash everything out of your pouch and you will never feel full.  Just stick to the plan and it will come off, it won't come off overnight, as it took years and years to put on but it will come off.  Your body is adjusting to the surgery so your weight will be unpredictable for a while, don't think you failed so early!! You haven't!!!  Stick to the plan and it will work out!!!

Good luck!

Melissa!

Melissa!

Surgery was July 19 2012, and I am doing great!! Only one regret....wish I did this years ago!!!!

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CENTURY CLUB!

Arlio1207
on 11/16/12 6:22 am - Belleville , Canada
RNY on 04/04/13

remind yourself, most ppl who do not have surgery lose 5 lbs a month, if they try really hard. I would say you have been nothing but successful and dont be so hard on yourself !!!

Arlene enlightened

Referred June 26, 2012, Orientation Nov 7, Nurse Nov 19. Dietician and Psychologist Nov 21, Dietician #2 Jan 4, 2013, Final Nurse Jan 24, Meet surgeon Feb 20th, Pre Surgical class Mar 6th, Dr Glazier March 7, PATTS March 7, Surgery April 4th !!!!!

P_Floyd
on 11/16/12 6:30 am - Canada

Hi, don't get upset with yourself. It's a process and it takes time. You didn't put the weight on in three weeks right?  Who told you the weight would just fall off? This takes work! You have to change the things you eat and how much you're eating. Exercise a lot, become far more active than you used to be before the surgery. 

Don't you feel at least a little better without those 14 pounds? Accentuate the positive is the ticket. Cripes I feel a Disney song coming on here! lol

Everyone gets a little down on themselves once in a while. People stall for weeks. Work the program and you will see things progress in time.

Fourteen pounds!angry

Long you live and high you fly 
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry 
And all you touch and all you see 
Is all your life will ever be.

DSOTM

Most Active
Recent Topics