Need input about the weeks after...

Zmimshen
on 12/4/12 11:26 am - Canada
RNY on 01/15/13
So the surgery is on January 15 and I am in the process of recruiting family help.
I am the one responsible for driving my older daughter to and from daycare.
How soon after surgery can we drive?
My parents are planning to come the day before surgery to help but I am not sure how long they should stay for.
I thought a week would be enough but I am starting to think that it would only give me 4 days to rest before I have to get back to normal and I am not sure it's enogh.
Any thoughts? How soon did u start driving? Any feedback is welcomed

Orientation: Apr. 3, 2012; SW&NP: May 29, 2012; Nutrition class: June 19, 2012; Nutritionist: Aug. 29, 2012; Surgeon: Nov. 9, 2012; Surgery date:January 15, 2013; Highest weight: 357     Start of Opti weight: 338.6     Surgery Weight: 322.4   

GirlSassy
on 12/4/12 11:51 am - Kingston, Canada

I drove within 5 days, around town, and longer distances after that. My issue was back pain, so I had a blanket rolled up for my back while I drove.

The most important thing is to be off of narcotics. I was only on narcotic pain meds for the first night, after that Tylenol. I have a real good pain threshold, not everyone deals with the pain the same.

It's been 2.5 weeks since surgery and my left side is still sore. I can't reach down in the car and pop the trunk with the lever cause bending sideways is painful.

And you won't be able to pick up anything more than 10 lbs for a month. So I would keep all the help you can for as long as you can! I am sure 4 days is not enough, I don't have kids to pick up after (bending = much discomfort on a good day), nevermind lifting! I am doing very well, and I would not lift a child today, cause they can be squirmy, and kick you!

Hope this helps!

Orientation - April 25, 2012, Nurse - May 16, 2012, Social Worker - May 25, Dietician - May 25, 2012, Abdominal Ultrasound - June 29, 2012, Cardiologist - August 1, 2012 Pre-Surgical Education Class September 19, 2012, Meet with Surgeon September 27, 2012, PATTS November 9, 2012, Surgery Date November 16, 2012 (Dr. Mamazza)

JJ_
on 12/4/12 5:44 pm

My oldest daughter came and stayed with me for the first couple of days home from hospital.  After that I felt comfortable to be alone.  However, that said, I do not have young children.  I felt able to drive the day after coming home from hospital (no narcotic pain meds).

You are instructed not to pick up anything over 10 lbs.  No housework, etc.  I slept (napped) every afternoon.  If you have young children, and unless they nap too, this may be an issue.

Good luck.

Judy

ToNewBeginnings
on 12/4/12 7:53 pm

I don't remember when I started driving. I do remember I needed several weeks of recovery. Others are back to work sooner.

Is it possible to ask someone to drive your daughter to and from daycare? 

scissors58
on 12/4/12 8:00 pm

I had my surgery last Monday and wondered about how long before I drive.  I spoke to nurse at TWH and she told me the rule of thumb is 4 weeks before driving.  Dont know if I will last that long, but that is what they recommend.

sam1am
on 12/5/12 1:36 am

I have never heard of anyone being told 4 weeks!  Most common answer is when you are off narcotics or at 1 week out (as well as off of narcotics).

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

scissors58
on 12/5/12 1:38 am

Just repeating what I was told

Karen M.
on 12/5/12 1:50 am - Mississauga, Canada

That is incorrect.  The general consensus is at 1 week out and off of all narcotics.  I went back to work at just about 2 weeks out.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Beth1970
on 12/4/12 8:51 pm - Canada
RNY on 10/11/12

If you could have help for more than a week, that would be ideal. Having kids just doesn't let you get the rest you need at first, imho.  It's better to have the help there, and not need it, than to need the help and not have it.

I waited a couple weeks before driving, as I was quite weak and somewhat dizzy. My surgeon said that most people could drive after a couple of days, but that they say 4 weeks for insurance purposes.

karenbean
on 12/4/12 10:02 pm

We all heal different so you will have to play day by day. I have two 5 year olds and one 11 year old. the first 4 days were the toughest for me. I drove the kids to school one week after surgery with no problems. I have a high pain tolerance so did not take pain medication. It would by wise to have some help for at least the first  week. Good luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics