Woke up with stomach flu HELP??!!

deew1234
on 12/21/12 11:01 pm - Stratford, Canada
I woke up this morning with a stomach flu for the first time since having surgery!! In the past I would just do Ginger Ale and crackers!! Since we are not supposed to do carbonated drinks what do I replace it with?? I can't stand drinking water when i'm not feeling well!! Any suggestions??

dna
on 12/21/12 11:08 pm - Canada

Tea ?  That's what I drank when I was ill with a stomach virus not too long ago. 

Sugar free popscicles and jello.  Whatever would go down but keep my hydration up. 

You can also flatten the diet gingerale.  Then you get the taste without the carbonation.

I hope it's a short lived flu !  feel better :)

Referral:  August 2011  Information session:  November 2011
Nut/Psych/SW: Spring 2012  Surgeon Meet:  July 6, 2012  Surgery: August 30, 2012

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/12 11:40 pm - Straford, Canada

ice tea zero?  You could take diet ginger ale and shake the hell out of it and leave it out for a few hours to flatten the bejesus out of it?  

DebbieML
on 12/22/12 11:42 am - Gloucester, Canada

I was told by the dietician at the post op class that even flat carbonated beverages are not good because the carbonic acid is still in it, it is not merely the bubbles that are the problem.  Has anyone else heard of this?

Debbie
Referal: June 23, 2011;  Info: August 26, 2011;  Dr.: July3, 2012; U/S: July 13, 2012;  Beh/Nut: Aug 13, 2012;  Ed class: Aug 22, 2012;  Scope: Sept 7, 2012;  Met with surgeons fellow: Sept 17, 2012; SURGERY: Nov 16, 2012 with Dr. Mamazza.  

JJ_
on 12/22/12 12:37 pm

It has to do the carbonation leaching calcium out of us......and we need the help to ensure our calcium levels are okay and are not just using up the stores we have in our bones.  Or something like this.

Judy

zillah
on 12/22/12 12:52 am

Maybe an herbal tea would be better. Y  I reccomend peppermint or a herbal with ginger in it.  Get well soon ou don't want too much caffiene because it is hard on the tummy.  I reccomend peppermint or a herbal with ginger in it.  This will soothe your tummy.  Get well soon.

(deactivated member)
on 12/22/12 12:59 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I'm just getting over it myself.  I made ginger tea and lots of herbal tea.  Just boil some fresh ginger in a bit pot of ho****er and sweeten if you want or drink it straight up.  I put it in the fridge and I even drink it cold if I feel like something cold instead of hot.  I like mint tea when not feeling well as well as the bengal spice one as the cinnamon taste is soothing.  I didn't worry too much about food and had a few soda crackers but made sure to drink. You could try to flatten some ginger ale but you will never get all the bubbles out.  Not sure how far post op you are but anything carbonated too early out hurts like hell so if you do try some slightly flattened, you may still experience some pain from it.  I'd avoid it and just try other things.  Lots of things other than water that you can try.

mermaidz
on 12/22/12 1:36 am - Brampton, Canada

If you take some ginger ale, open it up and put a fork in it, apparently the metal takes away the carbonation?

Or... shake the hell out of it as Ian suggested.. lol

Hope you feel better soon!

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Riley Sanders
on 12/22/12 2:00 am - Canada

maybe g2? just thinking g2 doesnt have too much sugar in it and it has electrolytes in it.

kellybelly333
on 12/22/12 5:12 am - Toronto, Canada
I'm stuck with the stomach flu too. I'm drinking tea, and eating crackers. That's all I had yesterday. Today I can put peanut butter or laughing cow cheese on them. I had two mouthfuls of Kraft Dinner (all I had the energy for to make the kids for lunch), and that was a mistake...it was there I felt hungry and ate it. Say there unhappily in my stomach, giving me pain.

Interesting how my mind is trying to tell me to eat to make me feel better. Food, even with the stomach flu, can haunt me still at the most interesting times!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Most Active
Recent Topics