Starting Optifast in a couple of weeks.

TrishwantstoLive
on 1/5/13 8:32 am - Ennismore, Canada

As my surgery approaches I am feeling so many things. I start Optifast on the 24th and will be on it for 5 weeks.

Nervous - I'm terrified of being put to sleep.

Scared - I'm scared of not being successful and not being able to adjust.

Anxious -  about the pain afterwards.

Excited - about how I will feel after some of the weight has come off.

I have played this over and over in my head so many times and now I am having night mares.  I feel like I need solidarity in what I am doing.  Allot of these feelings also come from not having any faith in doctors.  I have been dealing with an injured leg for 2 years and the issue with it went undiagnosed for 10 months and now my leg is so far gone that there's nothing they can do to restore my leg to where it used to be.  I went through 28 doctors.  In my head, I'm questioning what's going to happen this time. Can I trust these doctors? Can I trust that I will be ok? What happens if I'm not who do I go to?...etc!!

How can I overcome the what ifs and all that I am feeling?

Referral:  August/2011                                    Nutrition Class: April 3rd/2012 TWH
Orientation: Jan/11/2012 at TWH                  Nutrition Assesment: May 15th/2012
Social Worker: March 6th/2012 at TWH       Psychologist: May15th/2012
Nurse Practioner: April 3rd/2012 TWH         Meeting with Sleep Dr: June 19th/2012
Meeting w Surgeon: Oct 12th/2012               Surgery Date: February 27th/2013

GirlSassy
on 1/5/13 8:40 am - Kingston, Canada

Hi Trish!

I had surgery in mid-November and I was not nervous at all.My brother lost sleep, I slept like a baby!

As for your concerns...being put to sleep was fine. Sore throat after from the tubes, but nothign intolerable. Scared, ask my brother! Anxious - the pain was really not bad. I am not a suck though, a tough broad I call myself. And they are generous with the medication if you have a lot. Excited! That's me all the time. EVERYTHING is falling off me, and I am shrinking like crazy! It is exciting.

You can do this! Look at all the others who have dome it, you are just like us! Afterwards everything is new, and you are constantly learning, and listening to your body. You leg will likely improve when the weight starts to come off too!!!

Rest assured that the process has included you, you have jumped through all the hurdles that would have excluded you if you weren't ready. The hardest part? The first 3 days of Optifast. After that it was a breeze!

I am so happy I have had the surgery, and it has already improved the quality of my life!

Congrats and can't wait to see you on the Bench!

Orientation - April 25, 2012, Nurse - May 16, 2012, Social Worker - May 25, Dietician - May 25, 2012, Abdominal Ultrasound - June 29, 2012, Cardiologist - August 1, 2012 Pre-Surgical Education Class September 19, 2012, Meet with Surgeon September 27, 2012, PATTS November 9, 2012, Surgery Date November 16, 2012 (Dr. Mamazza)

Laura H.
on 1/5/13 8:44 am - Canada

I was very nervous about being put to sleep.  My doctor, Dr. Huynh, was very good and spoke to  me just before they  put me under.  Ask for something to calm you ahead of time.  I wished I had.  It is a big adjustment after and I am battling head hunger big time.  I am determined not to mess up.  As long as I keep weighing and logging everything I eat, I will be okay.  The pain afterwards for me was not bad.  I was more uncomfortable.  I went home on Thursday and only  took tylenol until the following Sunday.  What you are feeling is normal.  You will go through a lot of emotions.  I am excited as I have just gone through my closet and purged.  I am wearing things that I have not fit into for years.  That and feeling good is the pay off from this surgery.  Good luck!

Laura H.

(deactivated member)
on 1/5/13 9:22 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

Trish we all have gone through the anxiety so you are not alone. This is a real gift you are giving yourself. You will do so well when you look back you will wonder why you worried so much.

Being on Optifast for 5 weeks is going to give you a real jump start on the weight loss too.

Big Hugs and Good Luck with Optifast. Don't forget to check out some of the optifast recipes on the Ontario Recipes Group Page.

time2changeme
on 1/5/13 11:02 am

Trish your feeling the way most of us feel as we begin our journey.  Have faith in yourself and your doctors,

I understand and shared your concerns before starting opti-fast, your not alone!  Once you get on it, you will

be surprised how fast time goes!  I was on opti-fast for 6 weeks and I kept telling myself, I was going to do this

and everything was going to be alright!  Whatever you tell yourself you start believing, so go into it with 

a positive attitude, I know you can do this!!!  Just think of all the things you will be able to do next year

at this time!!  I wish you all the best on your journey, if ever you have questions, feel free to ask, everyone here

is wonderful!!!  broken heart

Lupie007
on 1/5/13 1:31 pm - Canada

I start opti on the 14th! Surgery on 28th. Not looking forward to it but ill manage. How come  you are on opti For five weeks? The best thing about surgery is going to sleep and waking up a brand-new person. After that the work begins! LOL! Good luck Trish from Trish! broken heart

The ones that say "you cant" and "you won't" are probably the ones scared that "you will"!!

(screw the haters)

Lupie 007

CW 255 5'7  Dr Hagen  VSG  January 28, 2013

sam1am
on 1/6/13 12:24 am

Trish, 

I'm guessing you have never had surgery before?  Being put to sleep is awesome, seriously, the best rest you've ever had, nothing to worry about at all.  That's my favourite part of surgery!  Especially in the beginning, you will be successful, because you have no choice, you will be full and satiated quickly and won't want more food.  The pain, well you are a women, you're tough, and it's manageable and really not that bad.  The worst part is the pull you'll feel on your stomach the first couple of times you get up, after that, it gets easier.  You have so much to look forward to, Trish!  Keep your eye on the prize and keep remembering why you are doing this!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

MadMax1010
on 1/6/13 1:11 am - Collingwood, Canada
RNY on 02/06/13

I start my opti on the 16th, so you wont' be alone in this. As for  being put to sleep it really is nothing.

We are strong women, we know what we want or we wouldn't be going through this process.

I know for me, this board has been a life saver, it's so comforting knowing that you are in good company here and none of us have to do this alone.

Take care,

Max

TrishwantstoLive
on 1/6/13 2:48 am - Ennismore, Canada

Thanks everyone, I just have so many emotions going into this that I haven't had for the past year. Now it's all coming to a head and I'm starting to panic I guess.  I've been talking with a few friends of mine too that have had the surgery and they are telling me that my anxieties are normal to be feeling.

I guess I have to focus on all the positive that will come out of the surgery and not sweat the stuff that's either not going to happen or can be managed.  I guess I never realized how much I like to be in control...lol

Referral:  August/2011                                    Nutrition Class: April 3rd/2012 TWH
Orientation: Jan/11/2012 at TWH                  Nutrition Assesment: May 15th/2012
Social Worker: March 6th/2012 at TWH       Psychologist: May15th/2012
Nurse Practioner: April 3rd/2012 TWH         Meeting with Sleep Dr: June 19th/2012
Meeting w Surgeon: Oct 12th/2012               Surgery Date: February 27th/2013

time2changeme
on 1/8/13 11:50 am

Trish, do you have an angel or would you like one?

I would be happy to watch over you if you do

I wish you all the best!

Most Active
Recent Topics