Frozen meals?

NorthernStar
on 1/16/13 2:46 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Does anyone do frozen lunches/meals? I have been faithfully bringing my Greek yogurt every day for lunch and am a bit tired of eating cold food every day (especially now that it's winter!). I hate making my lunch too is the thing though, just wondering if anyone does frozen meals?

I'm guessing it's too much to hope there is a low carb/decent protein/tasty frozen lunch out there, but I'd love to be able to just grab it in the morning and head to work.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

GD6
on 1/16/13 3:02 am - Hamilton, Canada

I cook in bulk on the weekends and freeze into individual portions.  I like to have a lot of variety available and this way I can just grab a couple of sandwich bags of frozen foods to nuke at work.

Yasmeen  (aka thread killer!)  

5'6.5" - HW 239.4 / SW 226.8 (Feb 5, 2010) / GW 120 (Jan 6, 2011) / LW 116.8 

Cuter_w_Curves
on 1/16/13 3:02 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

What about when making dinner... you use some containers and portion off like for a lunch... put the containers in a bag and put it in the freezer. Then you have frozen meals you know you can eat to take for lunch.

Just a thought.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

GD6
on 1/16/13 3:08 am - Hamilton, Canada

Atkins has come out with a line of frozen meals that are low carb but they are only available in limited locations in the US at this time.

Yasmeen  (aka thread killer!)  

5'6.5" - HW 239.4 / SW 226.8 (Feb 5, 2010) / GW 120 (Jan 6, 2011) / LW 116.8 

2mar
on 1/16/13 3:36 am
RNY on 09/20/12

I also do freeze my own lunches (and dinners). I make a large amount and do freeze it in portions. Nice and handy. 

Things that I have in the freezer : meatballs - egg bites - soup - fish - turkey - hummus - 

I try not to get the pre-made frozen dishes. I do find that my homemade ones are healthier and I know exactly what is inside. 

Whenever I make a dish, I make more and over time I have a nice assortment in the freezer. enlightened

debralight
on 1/16/13 3:38 am - Canada

You can freeze hummus? I never knew that. Is the texture the same after freezing?

Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/13 4:20 am - Oshawa, ON, Canada
VSG on 01/28/13
All the time. Just give it a good stir when you thaw it to mix some of the water back in and your good to go.
2mar
on 1/16/13 4:37 am
RNY on 09/20/12

yes - and mine are frozen in "ice cube trays" so they are 2 tablespoons. (once frozen I put them in Ziploc's).  I put them in the microwave for 35 sec (for 1 cube) - give it a good stir - and ready to go / very nice and quick. 

aprilflowers
on 1/16/13 3:43 am - Canada
RNY on 01/06/12

Now that I work two jobs I do unfortunately eat frozen meals. Smartones meals are one cup, and most blue menu ones are as well. 

Once a week I have the smartones pizza, the chicken parmesean is really good too. I have the blue menu shepard's pie and the blue menu butter chicken (the butter chicken is more than a cup. found that out one day by accident at work. So now I cook it at home and measure out a cup to bring to work).

I eat roughly 4 frozen dinners a week. 2 meals at night and 2 lunches.

Catw
on 1/16/13 4:11 am - Arnprior, Canada

For leftovers, if you don't mind them in one bowl.  You could get the lunch size crock pot.  It's not overly big, the bowl comes out for filling/putting in the fridge, cleaning etc.  And when you use it, the lid keeps the smell in so you don't have the temptation.  It does really well with chilis and soups.  They say you can't cook in it, but i haven't tried that yet.

Cathy

Most Active
Recent Topics