My first post, I just had to say something

Wendy-Louise
on 1/23/13 10:41 am - Canada

Well I admit I have been stalking the site for awhile I have all my appointments done but I have to meet with Dr Glazier again. To avoid having another sleep study done I have to dig up some test results from RVH in Barrie that didn't make it in my file. Mean while I am having some more than usual difficulty with nightmares sleep walking and I have recently started hallucinating (if you want to get a Doctors appointment quick just tell them you see dead people). So I end up in a shrinks office this morning trying to explain what's happening all he wants to know is am I depressed, suicidal, do I feel helpless hopeless or have anxiety ? Hell yes walk a while in my shoes you would  too. Just kidding, but I never really got a chance to qualify or explain my situation and the extreme pressure we have been under for the last five years with almost losing our farm and near bankruptcy. When he asked about my medications I have one BP pill and 3- 50mg tablets of Elavil at bedtime so I can sleep. Well doesn't he sit up and starts a rank about how that drug is antiquated and the side effects of that high a dose are severe depression extreme weight gain sleep disorders high blood pressure hallucinations..... hmm sounds kinda familiar. Then the best part WEIGHT for it. He says what are you going to do about your weight? I said I am going through the procedure of preparing for bariatric surgery, he says" why don't you just get real and stop putting stuff in your mouth, you need to get off your butt and start working out." He continued for sometime about how surgery is a cop out that he just doesn't believe in and that it won't work ,most of the people gain all their weight back  and how I need to just take responsibility for my weight and deal with it.( I was thinking didn't he just say my medication causes weight gain) I tried to interject about all my previous attempts at weight loss but he would have none of it. I wasn't depressed when I went in but I sure was when I left.  He is recommending a prescription change and a book on  glycemic index diet . Sorry about the length but I couldn't make it shorter. Do you think I'm being a  over sensitive? I am just so tired of feeling like I am not being heard and you guys are such good listeners. Thanks for lending me your ears. Wendy

SleeplessinAbitibi
on 1/23/13 10:49 am - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12

I guess since he sure seems to have all the answers we should ask him to write a book!!!  Who knew it was that simple...sigh!!!

I had a doctor say the same thing to me when I first tried to explain that I just could'nt lose ALL my excess weight.  I could lose some...just not enough to really get healthy and every time I gained a lil more back!  He advised me not to eat cookies.  Goes to show you...just because the person is a doctor...doesn't mean its not also a jackass!

You know what you need to do...just stay the course and just fire this guy!!!  I'm sure you can find a doctor that can be more understanding of the weight issues you are facing.  It was interesting though that he felt the meds you were on may have caused the weight gain...perhaps you'll see an improvement once you are off the....Good luck to you :)

Nathalie

“Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.” 

Wendy-Louise
on 1/23/13 10:52 am - Canada

Thank you Sleepless

All the best to you also.

mona8
on 1/23/13 10:52 am - Kingston, Canada

OMG, WOW!!!!  I'd be sending off a letter of complaint to the college about that unprofessional response.  I work with Psychiatrists on a daily basis and I can assure you this is not the type of response any of the doctors that I work would give anyone.  His role was to assess your mental health, not to impose his opinion about a medical procedure which you have been approved for and is covered by OHIP ( unlike his ).  Find another Psychiatrist if it is a service that you will require on an ongoing basis.

Wendy-Louise
on 1/23/13 11:14 am - Canada

Thank- you for your response. It was my first experience with a Psychiatrist I didn't know what to expect but it sure wasn't  that. He told me not to call him back if I didn't do what he suggested but I could call him and tell him how he saved my life and how wonderful he is if I did. I think his head needs to be shrunk!  How does he find a hat that fits!

sam1am
on 1/23/13 11:12 am

Welcome, Wendy!  Sorry your experience was so bad!   What a jerk!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

heyitscindy
on 1/23/13 11:15 am

A psychologist told you that?  Well wasn't he just a ball of sunshine!  Someone who -should- know the brain very well should know just how powerful it is.  If it was as easy as he is saying, then there wouldn't be this issue, or this website for support.  He sounds like a quack and probably got his degree from the internet.  Here is what you do... put what he said out of your mind and get a referral to another one.  Preferably a doctor with experience in eating disorders. 

You know why you are the weight you are, you don't need someone who is supposed to be helping you, make you feel worse.  So get a referral to see someone else.  You don't deserve to be treated like that.  A doctor is supposed to work for you, with you... not against you. 

You may also want to file a complaint with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario. You could also simply do a search of his name to see if there are any other people who have had issues with them.  I would also talk to your family doctor and tell them to stop referring people to them.   http://www.cpso.on.ca/policies/complaints/

All in all, this is your health and if you are uncomfortable with the doctor you have, then get another one.  Yes it isn't easy but if I am partnering with someone to improve MY health, I want to be able to talk openly with someone who is going to listen to me when I talk and not degrade me.

Good luck.

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/13 11:43 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 05/25/12

Its not anyones right to make you feel like its your fault even when we know we are PART of the issue at hand. If only all of those less understanding people out there lived a day in the life of those that have "COPPED OUT"...I am one that must have!! Its easy eating too fast or not chewing enough and having something stick and sit over the toilet hoping that whatever it was I just ate comes back up or passes through so the pain stops. Its easy to not read a label and put something in my mouth that makes me shake and want to rip my clothes off, its very easy to say to my children, family and friends that nope I can't go to that restaurant because there is nothing I can eat on their menu, it's easy for others to change plans around my needs!! .......yep its a COP OUT!!

Unfortunately we run into many of those in our lifetime and eventually they will eat the words that made someone hurt much more than make them feel better!! It's time for us to not let others stomp on our hopes and dreams all because they are ignorant. If it was me I would already have been on the phone reporting him.

Cuter_w_Curves
on 1/23/13 11:46 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

I will again recommend contacting the college of physicians on this one...

Secondly I want to say:

I wish this was the first time I had heard of a mental health professional going through this very rant. I am so sorry you have had this experience and it is absolutely not acceptable.

Let me hazard the same guess as I did with the others... A slim Dr who has probably never struggled with his weight in his life?

As for the medication you are on... I had to look it up to find the generic name. That one I knew...

1. DO NOT just randomly switch meds cold turkey. Clearly this man is a jackass... And a dangerous one.

2. DO NOT switch to a new medication without seeing a Dr regularly for the first 12 weeks with most anti-depressants and that is what you are on... An anti-depressant.

To come off this medication suddenly can cause some pretty major side effects and this is one of the meds you need to be weaned off of typically.

http://www.drugs.com/elavil.html

PLEASE... Find another who is more professional.

*gentle hugs*

Shell

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

seebs
on 1/23/13 12:49 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 01/10/13

Wendy I think you should definitely ignore this looser and get a different psychiatrist and definitely report this jerk.

I would love to know why the heck he thinks he has any right what so ever to say any of what he said to you.

I would have walked out but then I am a little high strung lol

*****ferred you to this person? ...... if it was your Dr then I would give them feedback so no one else has to deal with this looser.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience there not all like that and definitely talk to someone else. Does the clinic know you were talking to him ? I would make sure you speak to someone who can help and perhaps suggested by the clinic.

seebs        

Most Active
Recent Topics