I'M 5 DAYS OUT AND KEEP FORGETTING TO EAT!

kerlanny
on 2/3/13 6:42 am - Canada
RNY on 01/29/13

I was sitting talking to my daughter yesterday and she stopped and looked at me and asked if I was OK I said I felt sort of weird... According to her I went as white as a ghost and got massive black circles under my eyes.  It happened so fast.  I had some food (protein) and within a minute or two my colour was back and I felt fine...

It was sort of scary.  She took my phone and set my alarms to go off for every meal and all the required snacks.  It's great to not feel hunger but sort of scary at the same time.

I am having a very hard time getting in all that they suggest to eat and barley made it through a bottle of water yesterday.  I am on the full fluid stage right now and could really use some tips on how to manage to get everything in.  I have a protein drink beside me and can manage two tiny sips at a time. Three sips gives me pain... I have been trying to alternate that and the water every 10-15 minutes

Other than the lack of eating and drinking (makes me very weak obviously) I feel pretty good though...

Any suggestions???

Thanks Everyone!

Carol Ann

On my journey to rescue the healthy and confident me that is hidden within!

SandpaperSandy
on 2/3/13 6:55 am - Kitchener, Canada

the timer is a great tool, and I had used it myself.  just remember you are not getting enough of anything to really sustain yourself so make sure you sip and get in what was suggested by your clinic and if you have to eat by the timer, then do it.  your physically feeling of needing to eat is not going to work so make sure you get in your requirements.  stay strong and sip,sip, and sip again.

kerlanny
on 2/3/13 7:41 am - Canada
RNY on 01/29/13

Trust my daughter to think of the phone timer... 

Thanks

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/13 6:57 am, edited 2/3/13 7:06 am - Straford, Canada

I'm sure you're going to have vets chiming in shortly but here's my two cents.  Pain is not good but balance between average pain a lot of us experience and pain that requires medical attention is fine right now.  You have to find a way to get your H2O in.  Then you need to get your protein in, a little chicken broth with unflavored protein, a home made smoothie, even a flavored protein powder blended with some soy milk or milk.  Sipping until you complete it.  Don't stop until you complete whatever you're having.  Start your water jug a half hour after finishing the protein source.  Stop drinking at least fifteen minutes before the new protein source is begun, then begin the new protein source.  Etc etc.  You have nothing more important to do right now.  Your healing requires water, protein and rest.  You must get all three.  Just my opinion.  Heal well!  

kerlanny
on 2/3/13 7:09 am - Canada
RNY on 01/29/13

Thank you...  The pain is more like a OMG I ate so much I think I am going to bust or I may explode my pouch...  It's like pre-surgery Christmas dinner and you just can't stop yourself but you just keep going on eating because it tastes so good,  kind of let me roll around for a bit pain...

Does that make sense???

How important is the other stuff like fruit sauce and oatmeal and yogurt or should I at this point just concentrate on the protein and water???

Kerry F.
on 2/3/13 7:22 am - Bolton, Canada

The pain you're describing makes sense & sounds familiar to me.  Your insides just went through a MAJOR overhaul so there is a lot of swelling and tenderness in there.  It will take time to heal. 

To answer your question, in my opinion, the other stuff like fruit sauce & oatmeal are not important yet.  They are there to give you options & to SLOWLY introduce different textures to your new digestive system.  Focus on the protein & the water.  I believe I was almost 2 weeks before I tried those other things because I had such difficulty just getting the protein in. 

It will get better but it will take time.  Follow the guidelines in terms of measurements and finish what you start.  Sip, sip, sip and you'll be fine.  Get plenty of rest.

Take care...you can do it!!

Kerry

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson   

kerlanny
on 2/3/13 7:40 am - Canada
RNY on 01/29/13

Thank you I will concentrate on the important stuff...

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/13 7:29 am - Straford, Canada

Have you had or been having bowel movements?  I'm wondering if you're having gas pains? Are you able to move?  I'm wondering if moving a little more might help as well?  Much like moving after a big Christmas dinner would benefit from moving.  Don't know just wondering.  

All foods that are not protein sources are of no consequence right now.  Water is critical.  Everything else can wait imo.  

kerlanny
on 2/3/13 7:39 am - Canada
RNY on 01/29/13

Yes finally able to have BMs. Yeah I will try to move a  bit more.

Thanks

Onward and
Downward

on 2/3/13 2:45 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

If you can't get everything in, then get in the protein - that's the most important part. :)

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Most Active
Recent Topics