Mirena and WLS...

ksrmom
on 2/25/13 1:38 pm
I had my Mirena inserted a couple of weeks ago, and am starting to regret it. I have not lost at all since getting it - maybe coincidence, but doing lots of reading abt weight gain with Mirena and wondering if I should have it removed. I don't want to do anything to interfere with my weight loss window before I hit goal and start maintenence. Any feedback would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Laurie
 Referral to Guelph Sept 2010, Surgery booked with Dr Reed for Oct 18, 2012        
sdiana78
on 2/25/13 1:59 pm - Sarnia, Canada

I would be interested in finding this out as well. I had Mirena put in back in January because of endometrial hyperplasia but I have already noticed a small gain in my weight, my breast have gotten slightly larger and I always seem swollen in my stomach area. I haven't had surgery yet but I really hope it's not an issue because I don't have much choice than to have it in :(

Orientation ~ 2/14/13 *** Nurse ~ 3/11/13 *** SW & Dr. ~ 3/22/13 *** NUT 4/2/13 *** SW follow-up & Dietician ~ 5/10/13 *** Sleep Study ~ 5/28/13 *** Dr. follow-up ~ 6/7/13 *** Physiotherapy ~ 7/8/13  

gardeninggal
on 2/25/13 2:04 pm, edited 2/25/13 2:04 pm - Midland, Canada
Arlio1207
on 2/25/13 8:03 pm, edited 2/25/13 8:05 pm - Belleville , Canada
RNY on 04/04/13

I had a Mirena several yrs ago and found the same, bloated, weight gain and I felt like crap. I had cramps all the time. But I saw on tv, lord forgive me if I am wrong, that Mirena is now proven to cause damage and there is a class action suit against the makers. I am not trying to scare you, please dont take this the wrong way. I am sure your doctor would have never done it if it was that harmful, but I just hated the way I felt when I had it, I had it removed after 1 yr. 

Found this: http://www.drugwatch.com/mirena/lawsuit/

Arlene enlightened

Referred June 26, 2012, Orientation Nov 7, Nurse Nov 19. Dietician and Psychologist Nov 21, Dietician #2 Jan 4, 2013, Final Nurse Jan 24, Meet surgeon Feb 20th, Pre Surgical class Mar 6th, Dr Glazier March 7, PATTS March 7, Surgery April 4th !!!!!

ksrmom
on 2/25/13 9:58 pm

Thanks for the reply.  I am just not feeling like me, and I thought that I did loads of research before having it put in.  I trust my OB/GYN completely, and this was given as the best option for me at this time.  She warned me about the breast tenderness, spotting etc, but my, 'puffiness', lack of energy, lack of libido and general grumpiness (just after 2 weeks) is enough to have me question it...

Arlio1207
on 2/26/13 6:11 am - Belleville , Canada
RNY on 04/04/13

I think a one month follow up is a very wise decision. It is different for everyone. And the advice the girls gave on here is great !!!! Like I said I felt crappy, but that is just me,many have had success with it. I hope you feel better. 

Arlene enlightened

Referred June 26, 2012, Orientation Nov 7, Nurse Nov 19. Dietician and Psychologist Nov 21, Dietician #2 Jan 4, 2013, Final Nurse Jan 24, Meet surgeon Feb 20th, Pre Surgical class Mar 6th, Dr Glazier March 7, PATTS March 7, Surgery April 4th !!!!!

Jenaypea
on 2/25/13 9:55 pm - Canada
My experience with Mirena is very different from above. I have had since August of 2009,and although I had weight gain for the first couple of months things settled. Everyone is different, I would recommend talking to your primary care physician about your options. My personal opinion is that this stall may or may not be related to your iud, and two weeks isn't long enough to know. I had surgery 7months ago and have lost over 120 lbs, the Mirena did not affect my weight loss. Talk to your doc ad don't make any rash decisions.

All the best

Jenn
ksrmom
on 2/25/13 11:21 pm

Thanks for your reply!  I am going to see my OBGYN for a follow up in about a month, I am planning on discussing everything with her then, so will have a bit longer time to see if things settle down or not.  I also am back to Guelph for my 4 month follow up, so will ask the nurse there too. 

I have already had a lovely long stall, and had just broken it before the IUD went in, so hoping it is not another stall :)

I hope that all will work itself out!

Laurie

nata
on 2/26/13 12:40 am - Ottawa, Canada

I had mirena before , during and after surgery,  last summer reinserted a new one, as the old one expired. Very satisfied.

No, it did not impact my weight loss or caused bloating or anything like that. Though I assume those who had the side effects, experienced them due to a "hormonal adjustment" period. My adjustment occurred about two years preop, so there was no "hormonal clash" between  wls ( release of fat-stored estrogen) and IUD (release of progesterone).

Give it a little more time, I don't know a better contraceptive solution post wls.

Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
PatXYZ
on 2/26/13 5:28 am

There is no evidence that Mirena causes weight gain. Period. I looked into all the studies when I was looking into my post-op birth control options. There is mixed evidence on the pill and depo provera, but not for Mirena. I've lost over 100% of my excess weight, all with a Mirena inserted.

I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Most Active
Recent Topics