Is this forever now?

sheppardvines
on 2/26/13 11:36 pm - Oshawa, Canada

I'm having the same problem... I can't seem to "go" unless I use senokot or milk of magnesia.  I really thought by now this would have started getting better.  I have my 1 month follow up (2 weeks late) today at TWH so I'm hoping to get some advice today.

Bev

May 25th, 2012 - Referral     June 27th, 2012 - Orientation      July 10th,2012 - NP   
July 16th, 2012 - SW    July 18th, 2012 - nut class July 19th, 2012 - dietician Sept 21st, 2012 - surgeon appt  Oct 18th, 2012 - scope   Dec 13th,2012 Patts  Jan 16th, 2013 -SURGERY!!!

starry957
on 2/27/13 12:12 am

I wouldn't say I "go" - no, it's impacted 9/10 times - wait, have I gone 10 times yet??? not sure

Anyway, the dieticians will say:   add fibre, drink more water, use MOM as needed

which, is all fine and dandy - but - the stools have to be made SOFT before they will come anywhere near passing, in my case anyway.  I feel like it is not a topic/issue that the clinics are taking quite seriously enough for some of us.  Anyway, I've talked with my main pharmacist and my plan, at this point, is:   I will be taking a stool softener, EVERY DAY, and MOM every other day, for a solid week or so....if things get better, I will try to spread the doses of MOM out a bit.  If things continue, I will speak to my doctor about a prescription as it isn't healthy to be like this.  I've found vitamins WITHOUT iron, as this is a huge culprit for me, and I'm drink about as much water in a day that I can handle.  We'll see how this goes.  I'd be interested in hearing what your centre has to say about it.  When I did my follow up, they brought a complaint form to me and had me write out my concerns as the whole stool issue SHOULD be addressed even before surgery, ie. start taking stool softeners at surgery or just before for awhile to avoid things getting to the point they do, for some of us.  I also know, and someone else mentioned it on another thread, that high levels of protein (again, for some of us), is also a culprit re: constipation....so, ya, if you're prone, this surgery will likely do it to you.

Hopefully, things will smmooooth out soon!  LOL

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

daint45
on 2/27/13 12:33 am - Canada
RNY on 11/20/12

Prior to surgery I never had this problem, but then I drank caffeinated coffee also.  Since surgery, I cannot go on my own.  I only drink decaf coffee now so that does nothing.  I take 2 stool softeners with 1 bottle of water 1/2 hour after taking my prevacid and then another 2 stool softeners at bedtime with another bottle of water.  My pharmacist said you can take up to 5 a day.  I have actually considered going back on caffeinated coffee to make me regular.  I drink plenty of fluids throughout the day and in the evening I walk during the day and I still have the regimen of 4 stool softeners a day.  I was told about something called "Smooth Move" which helps to regulate your bowels and also have heard good things about restoralax (which is an unflavoured powder that you could put in coffee or tea or a cold beverage).  Someone on here in the past also mentioned having a cup of ho****er with lemon in it first thing in the morning but have not tried that as of yet.  I may try that with some restoralax in it because I find that sometimes I cramp being on stool softeners.  Good Luck!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Sherri C.
on 2/27/13 12:50 am
RNY on 04/05/13

Reading about this in prep for my surgery and it seems their answer is stool softener/laxatives. I always understood that if you take too much  for too long your body in turn "NEEDS" it? Kinda like a drug addiction of sorts I guess? Has anyone had this issue?

starry957
on 2/27/13 2:33 am

Well, this is exactly what I'm worried about.  Plus, I think the use of all of these "helpers" can destroy your intestines natural balance and the proper enzymes or whatever, in order to go on their own without the helpers......eesh

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

twins4meplus1
on 2/27/13 9:39 am - St Thomas, Canada

This is why some use Probiotics. Unfortunately I haven't found one that works for me.

Linda

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/13 3:33 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

My additional problem besides the large protein intake is that I take a number of Tylenol#3 for the hip pain I have. This only adds to the constipation. I now take 2 soflax per day and one or two does of metamucil with lots of water. So far this keep things moving but it is always a problem. I have purchased some Restorolax so I am going to try that. When I spoke to my GP she seemed to think Senecot-S or Restorolax were both good choices and the most important thing was to keep going.

linda11665
on 2/27/13 5:37 am - Ottawa, Canada

Senokal is none addictive. You can use this as long as you need it and it does not become habit forming.  Unfortunately constipation is something that does happen after ray,vsg or any other bariatric surgery.  I am almost 19 months post op, and drink between 8-10 glasses of water per day, take all my vits, take them with iron, benefibre, and I take stool softners since two months after my surgery. If I don't take stool softners, I am backed up to the point I need three enigmas .   

Linda

Choose love, power, and acceptance instead of what we default to which is fear, dependence, and intolerance
Most Active
Recent Topics