Losing too much too soon? Am I losing muscle?

straberryz
on 2/28/13 8:42 pm - Ottawa, Canada

9days post op

Ive lost 30 lbs now....18 lbs in 9 days....this seems to high to me...am i losing muscle mass? my bmi had gone from 42 to 36 in such a short time. Im not getting in enough protein. Ive had a really rough start, and really regretting everything the past two days. Im miserable and this doesn't seem worth it anymore.

My tummys always grumbling, my intestines vibrating everytime i eat or drink. I can hardly eat, drinking is now a huge chore that makes me sick. Ive tried everything. will this ever get better? and when?

and to top it off i cant even notice in the mirror the 30lbs gone

REF: October 3 '11 INFO SES: Dec 2 '11 NP :  June 13 '12 US: July 31'12 NUT/SW: August 1 '12 PSYCH: Sept 6 '12 MRI: Oct 3 '12 SURG CLASS: Nov 28 '12 MEET THE SURG JAN 28 '13 SURGERY FEB 20 '13

onmom
on 2/28/13 9:22 pm

Some muscle mass loss will occur. Drink your protein shakes to get your protein and liquid in. Once you are getting enough you need to move more to stop the loss of muscle mass.

I does get better you need some time to heal.

The weight will be noticeable soon.

You health will show it even sooner. 

These feelings are normal.

THIS IS NOT EASY.

You will do fine.

Vi-Vi
on 2/28/13 9:27 pm
VSG on 12/13/12

Wow pretty overwhelming I know but take a deep breath!  You just had major surgery.  Do what you can for now your protein will come with time!  Don't over do it.  Make sure you rest!  It will get better!

as for your 30 pds, did you notice it when you put  it on!  Probably not!  Take before & after pics  every month then you will start noticing!  Don't be so hard on yourself!

Hope you feel better soon!  

Sylvie

HW: 352.6.  Opti wt: 331,   Surgery wt: 308. CW: 190.4

Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at the moment!!   --Eggface

dna
on 2/28/13 9:39 pm - Canada

9 days post op, well pretty much the first few weeks were really rough for me and I regretted alot. 

It's too late to turn back now, so keep on plugging along.  It WILL get better.  I couldn't eat anything for a long time that seemed worth eating.  I am still afraid to eat alot of things.  I just kept drinking my protein shakes and hoping for the best. 

Make sure you took before photos and during (ok that doesn't make sense but you know what I mean).  I do it each month and it really really helps put things into perspective. 

Lots of warm tea also helped calm my pissed off insides.  I can honestly say until about 3 months out I didn't feel great.  Big turnaround then !  Seems far away but it will fly by.

One day at a time :)  you can do this !!

Referral:  August 2011  Information session:  November 2011
Nut/Psych/SW: Spring 2012  Surgeon Meet:  July 6, 2012  Surgery: August 30, 2012

straberryz
on 2/28/13 9:51 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Thanks everyone :) nice to know im not the only one that has felt like this

REF: October 3 '11 INFO SES: Dec 2 '11 NP :  June 13 '12 US: July 31'12 NUT/SW: August 1 '12 PSYCH: Sept 6 '12 MRI: Oct 3 '12 SURG CLASS: Nov 28 '12 MEET THE SURG JAN 28 '13 SURGERY FEB 20 '13

PatXYZ
on 3/1/13 12:05 am

Make sure you are diligent about taking your prevacid every, single day - it helps with the grumblings.

Keeping your carbs low and your body in ketosis will maximize fat loss and making your diet protein heavy will minimize the muscle loss. Protein shakes, protein shakes and more protein shakes is what you need right now!

I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Diana B.
on 3/1/13 7:33 am
RNY on 07/20/12
You're not alone. I felt like hell for a good 3 weeks after. I was afraid I'd starve to death for a while because it seemed like I couldn't eat enough. But it gets more "normal" and omg people weren't kidding when they said it's a lifelong battle against old habits. Try to focus on protein first, and be patient with yourself. You're doing great!
Referral Sent to Ottawa WMC December 16th 2010
Info Session/First Appointment March 25th 2011
Surgical Assessment January 3rd 2012
Dietitian and Behaviourist February 15th 2012
Abdominal Ultrasound May 8 2012
Surgical Education Class June 13 2012
Surgeon Appointment June 28 2012
SURGERY!!!!! July 20 2012

Most Active
Recent Topics