Stopping supplements before plastic surgery?

PatXYZ
on 3/9/13 5:43 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm curious about whether anyone who has had plastics done was advised by their plastic surgeon to stop all supplements for 2 weeks pre and post-op? My surgeon is recommending this, but I think it is advice intended for normies rather than WLS patients. I'm going to speak with his office about it on Monday, but was curious about others' experiences? I'm worried that a while month without supplements would lead me into some deficiencies and am thinking some sort of compromise around a temporarily reduced schedule would be most appropriate.

Thanks!

I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
less_of_me
on 3/9/13 5:57 am - Ottawa, Canada

I was not told to stop my supplements before having plastic surgery.  I was told not to take vitamin C and E (I was told that the amounts in the multi-vitamin were small quantities and were fine). I continued to take my supplements before and immediately after the surgery.  The other directives were the standard ones that it seems from my experience  all surgical patients get about smoking, etc.

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/13 6:29 am - Canada

I just had plastics and the pre-op nurse told me to stop all supplements for 1-2wks....can't remember. The issue is Vit E that can affect blood clotting...or not clotting. If you are far enough out to have plastics you should be fine for 2 wks. I've had 2 surgeries in the past 10mths and it was no problem to me.

Best of luck

PatXYZ
on 3/9/13 6:32 am

They want me to stop for 2 weeks before ANd two weeks after. Given my greater DS malabsorption, I don't think this is wise.

I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
kellybelly333
on 3/9/13 11:01 pm - Toronto, Canada

Not wise at all!! That's very interesting. My PS didn't want anything stopped. My PS was six weeks ago. I especially wasn't going to stop my iron!!

I upped my protein too. Still upped it for healing. I think that has helped. Maybe see what your clinic says. My PS is well-versed in WLS, so perhaps that might be a difference?

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

PatXYZ
on 3/10/13 12:49 am

Mine is also very familiar with bariatrics, but the general instructions I received were not specific to WLS patients, so I'm going to call on Monday. Based on the reading I've done, I think I will reduce some of my extra individual fat soluble vitamins that might impact on bleeding risk, but keep up with the iron, calcium and multivitamin at a minimum.

kellybelly333
on 3/10/13 1:22 am - Toronto, Canada
Good plan. What will happen to a DSer without the extra for a month?

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/13 6:35 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I was only told to stop anything herbal and omega 3. I don't take as many supplements as you take with a DS but regular vitamins and minerals, I was told were fine.  I know that Vitamin E can cause issues but I wasn't taking any extra but it was listed to stop if taking it.

Patm
on 3/9/13 11:21 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Not sure why they want you to stop. I am about to have an open hysterectomy. The only thing they want me to stop is my blood thinner. I can not see how vitamins can effect plastics. I would want more detailed info from them as to stopping anything.

twins4meplus1
on 3/10/13 10:44 am - St Thomas, Canada

I've had a number of surgeries post RNY including Plastics (tummy, breasts and arms) and open abdominal surgery. I have never been told to stop any of my routine supplements before or after. I take multi vitamins, C, D3, Calcium Citrate and FeraMax daily, B12 shot monthly. In fact after my open abdominal surgery December 14 the hospital provided all of my supplements for my 5 day stay.

Linda

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

Most Active
Recent Topics